My 79 Bronco Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 79 Bronco Build

brackets look real good. I think I would of picked up some 1" to 5/8 high misalignments. You won't break 5/8 grade 8. I really like the extra 1/4" on the outside of the bracket.

Remember that the front end will travel on that semi-circled arc and radius arm bushing don't offer much flex. So your gonna want as much misalignment at the frame as possible. But who knows maybe the 20* each way will be plenty.
    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
      brackets look real good. I think I would of picked up some 1" to 5/8 high misalignments. You won't break 5/8 grade 8. I really like the extra 1/4" on the outside of the bracket.

Remember that the front end will travel on that semi-circled arc and radius arm bushing don't offer much flex. So your gonna want as much misalignment at the frame as possible. But who knows maybe the 20* each way will be plenty.
      Are you on pain meds again? The hiem is mounted vertically, not horizontally. You probably only need a degree or two of misalignment at the hiem joint.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
        Are you on pain meds again? The hiem is mounted vertically, not horizontally. You probably only need a degree or two of misalignment at the hiem joint.
        Heim joints will only eliminate the lateral bind experienced in a stock radius arm. The misalignments are for the twisting effect that is caused by the suspensions cycling.

I'm on some good poo now.
        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Heim joints will only eliminate the lateral bind experienced in a stock radius arm. The misalignments are for the twisting effect that is caused by the suspensions cycling.

Duh, I forgot about the twisting motion. Stuff one front tire and droop the other side. But there will be plenty of range of motion. My Cage arms came with this tube spacer set up vs. misalignment spacers and they seem to work great.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
            Duh, I forgot about the twisting motion. Stuff one front tire and droop the other side. But there will be plenty of range of motion. My Cage arms came with this tube spacer set up vs. misalignment spacers and they seem to work great.
            my cage arms worked really well with just the spacer that they came with untill i bent the arms
            72 BRONCO,still building.

Comment

I'll try to remember that when the day comes I finally fab up some brackets and install those arms I got from you. Some day.
              67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
              69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
              69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
              79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
              67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Time for an update. I've been collecting a lot of axle parts over the past few months. I finally got a little Bronco time this afternoon and started fabbing up the radius arms. I've got to get moving on this thing if I want to make it to the Rubicon Run this year!

I cut the stock EB arms to 12 inches long. Now all of you guys with milling machines are about to cringe, but I cut the slots in the 2 inch tube with my torch for the stock arms to slide into. I think they came out pretty darn good for my okiefabolishous self.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looking good!
                  Not bad for a free hand torch.
                  {o===o}
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                  Originally posted by CityHick
                  I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I've been collecting more parts and getting a little more work done. I've got the front and rear axles out and all torn down. I decided I wanted to build some sort of skid plate for the rear 9 inch because I'm sure it's gonna get drug over rocks and take some hits. So I got out the plasma and welder and just started cutting and welding. This is what I came up with.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by crawlin68; 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

looks good man.

Comment

I like the reinforcement on the 9". Looks cool.

Comment

I finally got some free time today to weld together my radius arms. Now they are ready for installation.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I don't think those welds will hold! I have a scrap bin over here you can throw them in!!!

Very nice!
                            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

It must have bin the day for making extended arms we just made some up to. Those look nice.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                                I don't think those welds will hold! I have a scrap bin over here you can throw them in!!!
                                dont mind pops, he always says that.....progress is looking good
                                72 BRONCO,still building.

Comment

Working...
                                X