Started My Bumper Build..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started My Bumper Build..

Well I Started with ordering a "stick" of 8X2x3/16th tube.
    Ordered Shackle mounts from AtoZ fabrication.
    Ordered a Winch/Fairlead mount from Kilby.
    Drew out some plans on cardboard and transferred them to the steel.
    Started cutting...........

After the 4th cut the chop saw from Harbor Freight stopped working I moved on to other methods... Table saw.. Sawzall... Grinder.. wood saw... ..

Now just need to get it welded up... Next will be the rear!! Same idea with the shackle mounts and shape(kinda) but with I want to figure out some kind of removable tire carrier and rack...

Aaron
    Attached Files
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

These are what I used for the shackle mounts...ohh,, and my old lady mowing the lawn...

A
    Attached Files
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack
      These are what I used for the shackle mounts...ohh,, and my old lady mowing the lawn...

A

Man is she going to kick your ass when I see her next time and tell her about this one. You are in for it. Nice looking design. Can't wait to see it on the bronco. Now all you have to do is sell the old one and recoupe the cost of the steel.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

nice looking bumper just seen one like it on C.B.
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72
          Man is she going to kick your ass when I see her next time and tell her about this one. You are in for it. Nice looking design. Can't wait to see it on the bronco. Now all you have to do is sell the old one and recoupe the cost of the steel.
          Yeah, steel is not cheap... but I figure I am still way ahead of the game by making my own,, Front/Rear ..

Steel... 220.00
          Shackle Mounts F/R 30.00
          Winch Mount 60.00

Total $310.00

And I still have over 7' of the 8X2 left over.. hmmmm.. Rockers???

A
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

A[/QUOTE]

If it was me, I would have 7' of material left over and need 7' 2" to do the job.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72

A

If it was me, I would have 7' of material left over and need 7' 2" to do the job.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know I really need 8' for rockers.. But it is enough to build another front or rear for someone.....
              A
              KK6DAD
              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Sweet...looks like a stealth wing. Also, I like how the d ring mounts are set into the frame...
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Looks like its going to be strong, Cool design.
                  chris
                  70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

Sweet work...I love the "in-set" design on the Shackle Mounts!
                    72 Sport

Comment

Aaron, is the old bumper going to be for sell? I maybe interested.
                      New one looks cool
                      Last edited by ACE; 12-01-2006, 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Aaron
                        got your PM.

Comment

When welding the pieces of steel together for the bumpers do I need to grind a 45 deg. angle on the edge to be welded? On Both faces that are joining?

Thanks Aaron
                          Attached Files
                          KK6DAD
                          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Yes, It will help make a stronger weld and you'll still have a welded joint when you grind to get that nice smooth finish.
                            Last edited by ACE; 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM.

Comment

That looks awesome Aaron! I can't wait to see it welded up and on the Bronco. Good job!!

Comment

Working...
                              X