435/203/205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 435/203/205

Patrick and I have been chatting back and forth about this via PM's but I thought I would post up a little info that I/Patrick have found.

The only benifit to the "ford" 203 is the shifter lever is located on the same side as the 205. Patrick has solved the delima of the Dodge case shift lever being on the passenger side.

The ford 203 will bolt right on the 8" long 435 adapter, but EB's are obviously too short for that.

THe best adapter for the 435-203 imho is the WH www.wildhorses4x4.com kit. It is super shallow and comes with a sweet short shaft. The tranny does need to be dissassembled to install the new output shaft. CHeck your skills before tearing into it. This kit uses the DODGE 203 case

The most versitile 203-205 adapter in the Staz-Jeds adapter, which are both the same adapter. www.jedsmachining.com www.stazworks.com The tcase can be clocked where you need it and then the adapter is welded in place. The stock 203 shaft needs to be cut and resplined with this kit. This is what Patrick has.

The best overall adapter IMHO for the 203/205 in Offroad Design. They sell an all alluminum cnc machined adapter with NEW shaft not a resplined stock. However, the WH adapter clocks the 203 20 degrees to lift it up even with the 435. Off road design needs to make the EB adapter special order for this reason. I like this kit for the simple fact that you get a new shaft. I need to talk with jeds and ask them if the stock shaft is hardened where the new splines are cut.

North west fab www.northwestfab.com makes a nice adjustable kit that is clockable with mounting blolts and can be moved for other applications in the future. It comes with a new 203 shaft as well.

All of these kits will use a married NP 205 FORD box.

I will definitely get the WH adapter and the Jed's adapter if Jed's can make me feel good about the respline. If not I will default to the ORD. It is 770 bucks, and I am not sure how much the jeds is with the cost of respline.

I will post more as I get it or remember it.
    Last edited by Delta 4 Wheel; 10-10-2005, 10:30 PM.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Just got off the phone with Jon and Jeds Machining. I will go with this one. His rig has a hopped up 460 with 44 inch boggers...his respline shaft has been in there for 5 years...the shafts are resplined by wagoner machine, and that's where he gets his alloy shafts done as well...

You can upgrade if you want with an alloy shaft...around 300 bucks..

his adapter is 3 inches thick, but could be made at 2.5 if you really needed the extra .5 inches...

Nice guy. The kit it $440 plus shipping. Not bad at all...
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Yup. Jon is the guy that I talked to and that got me all set up. He does all of the machine and fab work for Stazworks too. Great guy and as you mentioned good prices too. Next time you talk to him, let him know that Patrick from CA said "Hi". Let me know when you get your stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
        Yup. Jon is the guy that I talked to and that got me all set up. He does all of the machine and fab work for Stazworks too. Great guy and as you mentioned good prices too. Next time you talk to him, let him know that Patrick from CA said "Hi". Let me know when you get your stuff.
        I told him that you said hello. he knoew exactly who I was talking about...

Comment

Have you looked into wagoners 435/203/205 adapters. Only thing I have found is they come out quit long at 24 inches from the back of the 435 to the center of the yoke of the 205 so that makes a 34 inch from front of 435 to 205. I think that a little long for the bronco plus they have a set of adapters that is a total of 2 1/16 shorter. WHat do you think.
          70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

Originally posted by FordCore
            Have you looked into wagoners 435/203/205 adapters. Only thing I have found is they come out quit long at 24 inches from the back of the 435 to the center of the yoke of the 205 so that makes a 34 inch from front of 435 to 205. I think that a little long for the bronco plus they have a set of adapters that is a total of 2 1/16 shorter. WHat do you think.
            Maybe Patrick can cut in here, but I think that the Jed's is 21.5 inches long. From what I understand the WH 435/203 kit is the shortest. It uses the dodge box. Let me know if you want one I can get it for 369.00 (retail 475)...maybe less if I buy 2!! The adapter clocks the 203 20 degrees so that it lines up even with the 435. This is a good option but unless you have an adjustable 203/205 adapter, the 205 will be half cocked. Besides, with the EB and its size constraints between the frame, we need the adjustable Jed's adapter or the Northwest Fabs's adapter. Waggoner splines the shafts for Jeds anyway. I think I will just order a box from waggoner with the 31 spline Ford 205 shaft with the 3.0:1 gears and just go with it..I think this was what you planning as well...so 6.69*4.88*3.0*1.96=191:1 Ouch that's low!! I think you were going with 5:13's...look at that farther before you do though. 5:13's are a little too weak for the dana 44. Pinion is too sklinny. If you are going with the 3:1 gear set, and are not running larger that a 40" tire, 4:88 is a better choice...

Plus with the 3:1 kit, you can have 4 different options.

1:1 both in high
            2:1 203 in high, 205 in low
            3:1 203 in low, 205 in high
            6:1 203 in low, 205 in low

PIMP SHIAT
            Last edited by Delta 4 Wheel; 09-16-2005, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I talked to wagoner about their options and they want 2200 for the adapters, new shafts, and a for 203 range box with 3:1 gear set. Even their shortest setup you come out at 31 15/16".
              I'm actually thinking of 4.11 so I can still maintain good highway speed. With 37's and 4.11's I'll be at 2800 rpm doing 70mph and still have 163:1 in my lowest gear. I think that should be a kick A$% combo. All this clocking the t-case is getting confusing since I haven't seen much of what we are talking about. Doesn't the t-case have to sit at the proper angle for good lubrication? I just need to see this setup so i can put my hands on it. I need to fly down and check out Patrick's rig. What length rear drive shaft should I be shooting for, stock is 28" so I figure 31-32 maybe is a good length!
              Chris
              70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

The t-case just needs to be high enough for it to be off the groung and out of harms way and not too high because it is so big that it will hit your frame rail. Lubrication has nothing to do with it. Look back at patricks pics and see how close it is to the frame as it is...when you fly down, drop by the Patterson Airport and pick me up! I am the same as you, until I see it somthing completely just see chaos in my head. When I see it and study it, I can do anything with it...

Ask wagoner how think thier 435/203 set up is. According to Jed's, the WH is the way to go for the bronco 2wd 435 and wheelbase...he didn't want me to buy his kit...

I am not sure of the DL length off the top of my head...

Try 4.56...with the 435, it's not the 4th gear you are worried about, its going from second to third that sucks real bad...

LOOK HOW CLOSE!
                Last edited by Delta 4 Wheel; 09-16-2005, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I found a 97 5.0 v8 on e-bay. That the extent of the content of the description. How can I make sure its the correct engine.
                  Chris

Comment

I found a 97 5.0 v8 on e-bay. That the extent of the content of the description. How can I make sure its the correct engine.
                    Chris
                    a 1997 Ford Explorer is the right engine no matter what...

Comment

Hey you guys have been busy this weekend. I was up in the hills for opening weekend of deer season. I got a nice 4 pointer this morning.

I just ran out to the garage and measured mine. It's not as easy now with the body on it, but it looks like the entire 435/203/205 combo is about 34 inches long. Which, if I remember correctly is the same length as my stock 3 speed/D20 set up was. My rear drive line is going to be 34 inches long, although I moved my rear axle back 4 inches. With the axle in the stock position, you should be looking at a length of about 30 inches. Give or take.

Oh yeah.....did I mention that YOU GUYS SUCK for getting the 3:1 203 box!!!! .................................................. ...........

Comment

Well, I haven't cut the check for the 203 yet!! I will be collecting the parts over a few month period....I have until the 40th to get it back on the road. I have a lot planned for the rig, but I will more than likely wait to next winter for the tub swap and wiring...line-x etc.

Patrick, when are you expecting to fire your rig off?

NICE JOB ON THE BUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Last edited by Delta 4 Wheel; 09-19-2005, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Delta and Crawlin, what do you think about gettin' together to check out crawlin'S Rig sometime? If its cool witk Crawlin!!!
                          Chris

Comment

Delta and Crawlin, what do you think about gettin' together to check out crawlin'S Rig sometime? If its cool witk Crawlin!!!
                            Chris

You guys are certainly more than welcome anytime!!! Just let me know when and I'll supply the

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                              Well, I haven't cut the check for the 203 yet!! I will be collecting the parts over a few month period....I have until the 40th to get it back on the road. I have a lot planned for the rig, but I will more than likely wait to next winter for the tub swap and wiring...line-x etc.

Patrick, when are you expecting to fire your rig off?

NICE JOB ON THE BUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not quite sure yet. I'm just about ready to start the Painless install. The chassis wiring shouldn't be a problem, but I am definitely going to need some help with the EFI engine wiring. Wiring and an exhaust system is all that is holding me back from firing her up.

Comment

Working...
                              X