Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have experience with 6 volt batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have experience with 6 volt batteries?

I need to replace the two batteries in my 5th wheel trailer (currently have two 12 volt) and I've been reading that two 6 volt batteries wired in series is the way to go. Has anyone done this and can you recommend a good 6 volt battery brand? I've read good things about the Trojan batteries.

Re: Anybody have experience with 6 volt batteries?

I'm in the exact same boat. Camping season is coming up and my 1 single 12volt just wasn't cutting it last year.

I finally decided on 2 Interstate 6 volt 200 ah batteries wired in series.

I got all my info off the web.

http://www.macandchris.com/RVBatteries.htm

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/RV-batt...-parallel.html

So far so good, the interstates have been hooked up for almost 3 weeks but we have yet to go camping due to the new baby and the weird weather. Hoping to get out next weekend.

I also converted my entire trailer to LED lighting which I am hoping will save me a ton of juice as well.
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

I ran the Trojan Marine Batteries in my Bass Boat. They didn't last 3 years. Might be different on a RV but I won't buy them for my boat anymore.
      1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Not sure about brands but Costco has good 6v golf cart batteries. If you have room for 4, run each pair in series then connect the pairs in parallel for a total of 12v but twice the amps. Just remember a lot of 6 volt batteries need to be serviced regularly by adding distiller water and trickle charging.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

x2 on the golf cart batteries. I ran them as the house batteries on my Mac Tool truck. They were used five days/week and they lasted a LOT longer than 12v batteries.

Comment

I thought long and hard about this, but I stayed with 1 12v.
            The cost I was finding for the 6V's were a lot higher then I was willing to pay.
            I too put LED's in my camper, that helped alot, I also have a solar pannel, but I've never actually hooked it up.

Also, I now I'm a cheap dude, but I've also had to pull the battery out of my camper and put it in a rig.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I have interstate 6v in my 5th wheel. Got it in 2007 who knows how long they were in there prior, trailer was new but a year old by model year. They finally quit doing their job well about 2 years ago but probably due to lack of cycling (lack of use) more than anything. I will replace again with 6v just because I believe they are designed for more charge/discharge then conventional 12v.

Mark, what LED bulbs did you use? I really want to do this. Besides the kids leaving lights on all the time I would think it would really cut power consumption over the standard incandesent.

Justin
              1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

I doing the 6V conversion when I buy a travel trailer for Quaddin up here then I can use them both year round. Trailer will also get solar panels to trickle charge the batteries with.

Comment

I stayed in a friends toyhauler at KOH this year...he has 4 6volts, wired 2 in series and then connected in parrallel. He had 2 HF solar panels hooked up to recharge during the day, and we never had to run the generator unless we were using the microwave. My old boss had 8 6 volts with a solar panel and he too went all week long and never ran his generator.
                  70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

Originally posted by SonicDonkey View Post
                    I have interstate 6v in my 5th wheel. Got it in 2007 who knows how long they were in there prior, trailer was new but a year old by model year. They finally quit doing their job well about 2 years ago but probably due to lack of cycling (lack of use) more than anything. I will replace again with 6v just because I believe they are designed for more charge/discharge then conventional 12v.

Mark, what LED bulbs did you use? I really want to do this. Besides the kids leaving lights on all the time I would think it would really cut power consumption over the standard incandesent.

Justin
                    I just bought some of the China made LED's off ebay, the one people use for rock lights but less powerful and with a little bulb adapter.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Yep the LED light conversions will be done too, I dont care if they more of a spot light than a flood light. Some will be LED, some will be conventional, depending where they are.

Comment

another option are the heavy duty 4D or 8D batteries. They are rugged and fewer wiring connections to corrode and fewer cells to fail

Comment

I have four of the Trojan 105's in my motorhome. The last set, I got four years out of them. If you maintain them with a trickle charger, they will go through some water, so check them often. There wasn't enough of a difference from the 105 to the 125, for the added cost. The 145's were too tall for my battery box. These are the best batteries for the $. I never looked at AGM's, they're too expensive for me.
                          Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Working...
                          X