Who has the best floor pan panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the best floor pan panels?

Who makes the best floor pan patch panels?

Not sure I like the WH ones. The upper panel isn't complete since it stops just a few inches up the foot area of lower firewall (or looks to be in pics). The Bronco Graveyard patch goes all the way up to lower firewall and has a smaller lip to spot weld around perimeter.

Toms seems to be even more complete. They do the entire top and bottom panel with lips for spot welding.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Re: Who has the best floor pan panels?

I used the WH panel on my driver's side floor pan. Its a nice heavy duty piece but the fit took some coaxing. I think that may be the case with many repro sheet metal pieces though. Main problem was trying to line up the stiffening ribs to the existing pan - they don't match exactly. I think there are pix in my build thread very early on that show this.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Thanks Tony. I'll check it out. Did you use a spot weld cutter, an air chisel, or some other means to remove?
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

There is just a finished pic from what I can find. If you have them somewhere and done mind, would you please post up what you have of process.

Comment

I'll check later this afternoon on my home computer... might have some more pics and if so I'll post 'em.

To remove the old floors, I cut spot welds with a rotobroach tool, and cut the existing floor out with an angle grinder leaving about a 1" perimeter around the edges so I'd have something to weld the new panels down onto in addition to the under-floor braces. Details are a little foggy.. that was in 2006!
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I used the JBG ones just because they go up the firewall farther, they are not the same as the originals (flanges on kick panels go up, not down, made from one piece instead of 3, etc) They did show up dented and they do take a lot of "adjusting" to make fit correctly. I drilled out the spot welds using a 1/8 bit first and then tried to just cut the top layer with a a 7/16 sharpened to cut flatter. That got most of the spot weld, I got the rest with a air chisel, sawzall, grinder, BFH, redbull, tetanus shot, etc. When putting them together I suggest using self tapping sheet metal screws to get everything lined up and tight before you start welding it all in.
            Last edited by pippinmader; 04-20-2012, 10:11 AM.
            Build thread

Comment

I got Dennis Carpender panels from JBG... One panel was back ordered and they told me upfront... Then they sent the wrong panel, but they sucked it up and made it right.

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1368

Here is my build, including the cowl replacement... Page 7, post 92 is where it starts. Such fun!

I used a spot weld cutter, you need spare cutters and points. Pre-drill the starting point helps prevent movement. Grinders and an air chisel were used as well. Do not forget the weldable spray primer on the panels before they are installed... It was like $20 a can!
              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Working...
              X