Off topic - river canoeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off topic - river canoeing

Some of my friends and I are talking about doing a river canoe/camping expedition this summer. Two of us did a section of the Russian River when we were teenagers but it was just a day trip so we didn't have to carry much gear with us.

Does anybody here have any recommendations for where to go? Two of us own canoes and we'd like to pack then with some camping gear and do a 2 or 3 day trip - something relatively mild without many rapids to get our feet wet, pun intended.

Any input is appreciated!
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Off topic - river canoeing

Eel River drop in at Dos Rios and Go North
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Can't help on a river trip, but if a lake is OK you should check out Spicer Meadows Reservoir. Upper (east) half is in wilderness area, no motorized boats allows. Great place. Go in with the wind and come out before it kicks up, though.

About a 3 1/2 hour drive from Livermore, 1 hour past Arnold, kinda by Bear Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
        Can't help on a river trip, but if a lake is OK you should check out Spicer Meadows Reservoir. Upper (east) half is in wilderness area, no motorized boats allows. Great place. Go in with the wind and come out before it kicks up, though.

About a 3 1/2 hour drive from Livermore, 1 hour past Arnold, kinda by Bear Valley.
        I am very familiar with the area around Spicer, have spent a lot of time up there. Definitely considering canoe camping at Spicer and/or Utica/Union as well... the river idea just seems a little more intriguing.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

I've done quite a bit of week long trips on rivers in open face canoes in my youth. I've been down Eel, Trinity, Stanilaus, Kings, and others that aren't coming to mind. We packet everything that needed to stay dry in 5 gallon pickle/paint buckets and sealed them up tight with the lids and duct tape. Carried full Coleman stoves and everything else we needed down class 3 rapids. GREAT times. My bowman and I were trained in rescueing others and did so a few times. What kind of canoe are you taking? It matters.

Comment

Tony, you might have to pretty a mouth to be canoeing down any rivers.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Don't forget to pack your cross bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

Have fun!!!

Comment

I knew it was only a matter of time before the Deliverance references would show up... I can always count on you guys for that!

As for canoes... Mine's an old town discovery sport, and I am unsure of the exact model my friend has (it's a wenoah kevlar-reinforced model). Both are fairly well reviewed online for light duty river use. If I decide mine isn't up to task I'd definitely rent one that is.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                X