Upholstery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upholstery?

Does anyone know how to do upholstery? I want to take my soft top and make it into a Safari top. Thanks Matt

Re: Upholstery?

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
    Does anyone know how to do upholstery? I want to take my soft top and make it into a Safari top. Thanks Matt
    Talk to Ryan "The Meat Muncher". He made his family cage top.

Comment

what kind of material is your current top?
      Originally posted by NorcalKD View Post
      Talk to Ryan "The Meat Muncher". He made his family cage top.
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Hey Matt, this is how I made my Safari top a few years ago. Just get a seam ripper and undo the stitching all the way around the top so the side windows and the tailgate part come off. Hand stitch on some hold down straps and your good to go!!!

Comment

Hey Matt, this is how I made my Safari top a few years ago. Just get a seam ripper and undo the stitching all the way around the top so the side windows and the tailgate part come off. Hand stitch on some hold down straps and your good to go!!!
          That sounds like a plan. What if I cut the material right under the window flap stetching and leave the stetching for strength?

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
            hey matt, this is how i made my safari top a few years ago. Just get a seam ripper and undo the stitching all the way around the top so the side windows and the tailgate part come off. Hand stitch on some hold down straps and your good to go!!!
            what?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesenip73 View Post
              what?
              Ok, it looks like I have to go into all of the details. I ripped the stitching out of my full soft top to remove the two side windows and the rear window. Then because I have the windshield riser for an STC top but the full soft top that I had was a Best Top top, I had Tads mom sew the front part (12 inches or so) of my bikini top to the rear part of the Best Top to make the Safari top fit my STC windshield riser. She also sewed on some hold down straps to strap the top to my roll cage. In my original post I told Matt that he could hand stitch the straps on himself because it didn't sound like he had an upholstery sewing machine, so hand sewing it would save him from having to take it to someone and have the sewing done. There is that better? I didn't initially type all of that because it didn't make any difference in answering Matt's question and I knew that he wouldn't have to do any of this because his top already fit his windshield riser. So it was just a bunch of unnecessary information in order to help answer his question and help him make a decision on what he might want to do. Geez. Plus I had two kids climbing all over me pushing buttons on the computer and fighting with each other in my lap while I was trying type, so I typed the Readers Digest version.

Oh and she sewed on some pink dingle balls, a flower patch and a rainbow patch. I think it was on a Thursday and I installed it on my Bronco at about 8:03 pm on Friday. Did I forget any minuet details?

Comment

Ok, it looks like I have to go into all of the details. I ripped the stitching out of my full soft top to remove the two side windows and the rear window. Then because I have the windshield riser for an STC top but the full soft top that I had was a Best Top top, I had Tads mom sew the front part (12 inches or so) of my bikini top to the rear part of the Best Top to make the Safari top fit my STC windshield riser. She also sewed on some hold down straps to strap the top to my roll cage. In my original post I told Matt that he could hand stitch the straps on himself because it didn't sound like he had an upholstery sewing machine, so hand sewing it would save him from having to take it to someone and have the sewing done. There is that better? I didn't initially type all of that because it didn't make any difference in answering Matt's question and I knew that he wouldn't have to do any of this because his top already fit his windshield riser. So it was just a bunch of unnecessary information in order to help answer his question and help him make a decision on what he might want to do. Geez. Plus I had two kids climbing all over me pushing buttons on the computer and fighting with each other in my lap while I was trying type, so I typed the Readers Digest version.

Oh and she sewed on some pink dingle balls, a flower patch and a rainbow patch. I think it was on a Thursday and I installed it on my Bronco at about 8:03 pm on Friday. Did I forget any minuet details?
                Perfect. Very good cause and effect with sequential/chronological reasoning to support the original main point.

Comment

...Oh and she sewed on some pink dingle balls, a flower patch and a rainbow patch. .
                  pictures?
                  Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Does anyone know how to do upholstery? ... Thanks Matt
                    Back on topic. Yes I know how to sew tops. I was thinking of re creating Saddle Up's top.

You can use a normal sewing machine with a heavy duty needle and a thick thread. You can get the needle/thread at any fabric store or sewing store. The key to using a normal sewing machine is patience. You cannot go full throttle through thick materials but you can go slow through thick materials.

I am not a fan of vinyl because it stretches out over time. I used Sunbrella material. It is UV resistant, mildew resistant, waterproof, zero stretch and easy to work with.
                    {o===o}
                    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                    Originally posted by CityHick
                    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Back on topic. Yes I know how to sew tops. I was thinking of re creating Saddle Up's top.

You can use a normal sewing machine with a heavy duty needle and a thick thread. You can get the needle/thread at any fabric store or sewing store. The key to using a normal sewing machine is patience. You cannot go full throttle through thick materials but you can go slow through thick materials.

I am not a fan of vinyl because it stretches out over time. I used Sunbrella material. It is UV resistant, mildew resistant, waterproof, zero stretch and easy to work with.
                      Ryan your like Si on Duck Dynasty. If you don't watch it, watch it. Anyways I am going to use my current top because I have it. I will give this a try and update you guys

Comment

Ryan your like Si on Duck Dynasty. If you don't watch it, watch it. Anyways I am going to use my current top because I have it. I will give this a try and update you guys
                        Hey... Hey... (you'd have to watch Duck Dynasty to get that)

Just a tip, Sunbrella fabric is available in bulk quantities online unless you want the striped stuff that they use on RV awnings which you can get at an RV dealer. I'll probably make my own soft top this summer using the WH family bikini top as a pattern.
                        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                        X