mounting cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mounting cage

After reading many threads I am going to mount my 8 point family cage to the body only. I will sandwich the sheetmetal with a steel plate on the underside that is 1/4in bigger. For those of you that did this did you do all mounting points?
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Re: mounting cage

YES, and where I could I used 1" or bigger underneath
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
      YES, and where I could I used 1" or bigger underneath
      1" plate?? really?? You trying to challenge Captain Overkill for the title?!!
      '68- 302 C4 x D20, Dana 30 x 9" stock gears, 33" pavement pounders, 3-1/2" suspension lift 0 body lift, wishlist getting bigger, wallet getting smaller

Comment

I think there's a type there... Besides that, using thicker plate under the floor really wouldn't gain you anything. The main thing is to make the upper plate out of 1/4" and as big as you can within reason(ie: 4" x 6" plate would be good).
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Sorry, I meant the plate underneath, its footprint is 1" wider on all sides then the top plate, slows down the punch through effect
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

The plating from underneath is to keep the cage from ripping out from the floor. The bigger the better on the plating. Thats more material that need to be ripped through the floor. Use grade 8 bolts. Mount at every point with a 4 bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by CageDave View Post
              The plating from underneath is to keep the cage from ripping out from the floor. The bigger the better on the plating. Thats more material that need to be ripped through the floor. Use grade 8 bolts. Mount at every point with a 4 bolts.
              That's it....
              KK6DAD
              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by CageDave View Post
                ^Yep, Dave finished up mine like he said
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

do the "a" post mount near the subframe under the floorboard? I have a broncobob/toms cage

Comment

not knowing what that cage looks like I would guess install should go as follows:
                    put the cage in your rig
                    draw out hole locations in floor boards
                    remove cage
                    drill holes
                    crawl under rig and find out what size plate will work in each location
                    cut plate to size and drill holes to match cage
                    reinstall cage
                    mount with grade 8 bolts
                    '68- 302 C4 x D20, Dana 30 x 9" stock gears, 33" pavement pounders, 3-1/2" suspension lift 0 body lift, wishlist getting bigger, wallet getting smaller

Comment

Mine mounts to my sliders and sandwiches the entire door sill between the A and B pillars.
                      1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

i have the holes drilled and 2 of the 4 bolts on the "a" pillar go through the floor brace. should i put the plate on the brace or notch it out?

Comment

I used heavy wall spacers between two 1/4" plates and 7/16" bolts. Cut everything so it's a tight fit but not enough to smash the floor brace. I also have frame tie-ins with poly bushings. Seems to work good but I haven't rolled my bronco to test it...
                          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

One trick to mount the cage to the frame is to have cross pieces running across the floor over the body mounts. Then use longer bolts to secure the cage through the body mounts. It's possible to do this with the mounts behind the front seats and the ones near the tailgate.

Comment

that is what I'm playing with right now. the seat mount crossbar will have a pair of brackets tying into the factory body mounts, and then tie into the rear mounts, that way I only need to fabricate a pair of under body frame tie ins for a pillar

Comment

Working...
                              X