What fits under a stock hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fits under a stock hood?

Toying with the idea of stuffing a 393 EFI into the LUBER. With a 1 inch body lift, will the 351 and Cobra EFI fit under it? I really don't want the look of an after market hood or hood scoop.

I know the 94-95 low profile stang intakes have a much lower height, but I don't know the decrease in flow compared to the Cobra.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Re: What fits under a stock hood?

You planning to run a lightning lower Carl?
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Carl, a lot of us are running the Lightning Lower with the Explorer upper (GT40 style). Tight but fits... I couldn't use the 90 degree coming off the Explorer upper plenum and used the egr plate then the throttle body. I used the stock 351 motor mounts with a 2" body lift. You may gain a little more clearance with different motor mounts. But then you deal with clearance issues with one of the pulleys on the explorer serpentine set up on the front cross member... hope this helps
      1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Yes, I have the 351 Lightning lower and tubular upper I would use.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by 14Justice View Post
          Carl, a lot of us are running the Lightning Lower with the Explorer upper (GT40 style). Tight but fits... I couldn't use the 90 degree coming off the Explorer upper plenum and used the egr plate then the throttle body. I used the stock 351 motor mounts with a 2" body lift. You may gain a little more clearance with different motor mounts. But then you deal with clearance issues with one of the pulleys on the explorer serpentine set up on the front cross member... hope this helps
          I won't do it if it requires a 2" BL. 1" only. I just don't want a lifted bronco and the 1" is only being done to clear the 4R70W

Comment

even the cobra (lightning) intake will choke a 393. I'll take some measurements on mine tonight, you may be able to machine a trick flow intake to fit...
            John Foottit
            1970 Bronco 5.8SEFI, ZF S5-42, 203, 205, 5.38 Detroit'd Dana 60's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, 107" Wheelbase, Body Narrowed 6", Grill Narrowed 13", Body Stretched 9"

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhorse View Post
              even the cobra (lightning) intake will choke a 393. I'll take some measurements on mine tonight, you may be able to machine a trick flow intake to fit...

It will choke it is higher end applications, but not in my low RPM application. I plan to run my 170cc Edelbrock heads (same as on Coast High's 393). This will be a very mild low to mid range RPM torque monster. This is going into a bronco from crying out loud! I'll use a SCAT or Powerhouse 3.85 crank, 1969 351W forged rods, and stock 203 forged pistons. I need to keep power limited to the mid range of the curve for those reasons alone.

Comment

I'd notch the oil pan and lower the motor in a LUBER to fit it in there.
                This one won't really be a wheeler anyway right?
                Mark Harris
                71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                  I'd notch the oil pan and lower the motor in a LUBER to fit it in there.
                  This one won't really be a wheeler anyway right?
                  That puts the explorer front dress into the front cross member. I'm wondering how much I would need to fit it in. I'd rather know before I drop the bitch in since that would likely be final assembly.

Comment

From BC Broncos EFI Cconversion page:

C: Ford truck Lightning (GT40) 351W/5.8L (1993-1996) This manifold combo will fit under the stock hood but is hard to find and expensive due to the fact that they are Ford high performance parts

Comment

Working...
                    X