Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refuelling Issues

Hi

I have a '76 with those little "doors" in the fuel filler tubes. Filling it up is a huge pain in the butt. It over flows, stops and generally acts like the tank is full even when its empty. does this for both the main and aux tanks. Unless I fill each tank really slow - like 1/4 of normal, I leave an embarrassing puddle of gas on the ground and Im sure the spillage isnt doing wonders for my new paint.

I've heard this is a common problem for all broncos. Question is - if I put in new fuel filler tubes without the little door thingies, do you think this will help solve the issue or am I still going to have problems?

thanks for the advice.

-Curt

Re: Refuelling Issues

the wife has a '76 also...and fueling was a major pain. I took the filler tubes out, got a chisel and hammer and beat the piss out of the "little doors" and popped them out. Now...fueling is no problem.

Comment

i hold the handle upside down
      67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
      69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
      69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
      79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
      67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Mine acted a lot like that when I bought it, then I found the filler vent was completely blocked. Having cleared that vent, I can now fuel my Bronco up without any problems, no spillage, and hands free on pumps that have the little "holder" even.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Thanks guys. Ill give it a try. Didn't want to destroy what I have or buy new stuff if it doesn't solve the problem. I've been told those doors are actually required for smog compliance, but since I just got it smogged so I'm good for 2 more years.

69 - I've been known to hold the handle upside down as well!

Comment

My stock front tank did that as the filler neck did NOT come with the vent tube from the factory. Swapped it out for a later model neck w/ the vent tube and it works fine. Before you start hammering on shit, check those vent tubes! My guess is they're plugged up with something like Cityhick's was.
            sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Exactly.
              I would not want to try to put something back in there in just two years to pass smog, so I don't consider that an option on a '76. And like said, even without them Broncos have this problem.
              My '71 didn't have the doors, and I couldn't fill it either until I replaced the rubber fill and vent lines. Right after that I could fill like a normal vehicle almost. Still have to hold the pump handle unfortunately, but at least it would fill at a reasonable speed after that.

Good luck. It can also be a pain, but at least try the rubber stuff first and see where that gets you.

Paul
              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

i had the same problem. the plate with the little door for the nozzle had slid down about 1/2"
                75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Working...
                X