anyone using a Roku media streamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: anyone using a Roku media streamer

So far I do not like the plex media server software. It seems to be to much up keep just to get things setup. I like it when things just work with out having to make tweakes all the time.

Comment

yeah, i loaded it today and it seems to be a resource hog too. were you able to stream anything yet?
      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

kwspony,
        The Roku I been testing is the Roku HD. I bought this one because it will be used on a old TV and hooked up through composite for the kids. The Roku 3 i heard is a lot faster. So from what I tested, the device is Okay. You can not get Hulu (free stuff) on the device without having to tweak a bunch of shit. It comes with Hulu Plus, which means $7.99 a month. The Amazon Instant video work fairly well but you have to buy everything. These are the only Channels I tested. I tried to tie in my movie system with Plex but that was a hassel and really didnt get it to work. I was able to intergrate Hulu desktop to Windows Media Center (movie system). Hulu desktop is a great product compared to the Roku channel. You can install it on any PC.

So I do think the Roku will work for me while the kids are still small and don't mind watching the same episodes over and over (ones I purchase from Amazon). Then for my TV, I will run Hulu Desktop on my Media Server tied into Windows Media Center. Then if I feel I need more, I will try the WD TV because it plays back local media better.

Hope this helps.

Comment

it does, thanks.
          1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Those of you looking to ditch cable may be interested at looking into android boxes and installing/running XBMC.

Here is a good resource.

http://xbmc.org/?s=xbmc+for+android
            Last edited by Hallz; 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM.

Comment

i bought a Roku 2 XS. still tinkering with it but I have Plex media server running and it can stream moveis off my PC fine. Still building a channel list too. so far it is good.

Comment

I ended up taking my Roku back. To much tinkering to make things work. I get by with Hulu plus desktop on my movie system.

Comment

Working...
                X