Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving to so cal soon/transport my rig

hi guys
    so ill be moving soon, like within the next 2 weeks.
    im in hayward now...any chance anyone in the area will be making a similar trip and can tow or flat bed my truck down to the san fernando valley?
    it would be about a 20 mins after the grapevine
    my truck runs and can handle the drive i would just rather not....im open to any suggestions

thanks in advance
    rose916@gmail.com

Re: moving to so cal soon/transport my rig

Fabulas Fords event is coming up. You might get lucky. I would get online and get a quote from an auto transport. Or, depending on how you're getting your stuff down there, rent a truck with a car trailer.
    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Depending on the value of your rig, having a private person, friend or otherwise, haul it may not be a good idea, in terms of liability. If your rig is a clunker, you may have little to lose. But if it has significant value, that could be a different story. Common sense dictates that any number of bad things can happen while towing a trailer, especially hauling anything that has the potential of rolling off the trailer. The trailer becoming detached from the tow rig is another common risk. And of course, the most basic rule: "The trailer & cargo are only as safe as the vehicle doing the towing." Throw in the downhill side of the Grapevine, you get the idea.

Most insurance companies will likely cover the trailer, providing it is owned and licensed by the insured and the trailer isnt being used in a commercial business capacity but if the cargo on the trailer doesnt also belong to the insured, most likely the insurance company will say the cargo owner is S.O.L. Of course, if the insurance investigator discovers the cargo was tied down with grandmas clothesline, the insured could be again, S.O.L. Further, if an accident involves a 3rd party, the insured AND the cargo owner could be in deep liability dukie.

14Justice has the right idea. An auto transport company will not only be insured commercially to haul but will also be liable for the cargo/contents being transported. Pretty basic. Obviously auto haulers are more expensive than Joe Blow headed south with an otherwise empty trailer but if Joe Blow loses his brakes going down the Grapevine or his Draw-Tite hitch gives way due to not enough wraps of baling wire, it could end up costing you a heck of a lot more in not only your own property loss (the cargo) but from potential liability lawsuits, again, if a 3rd party is involved.

Hire a transport company or as 14Justice also suggested, rent a truck and dolly/trailer and haul yourself. You'll be glad your did... BB
      Last edited by Bronco Billy; 04-21-2013, 06:18 AM.
      BB's Profile http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/member.php?u=3693

Comment

Thank you both guys, appreciate it

Comment

Working...
        X