New DMV law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DMV law?

Has anyone heard of a new DMV law requiring 3 years back fees to register any vehicle off DMV records? I was told it will start in January.
    Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Re: New DMV law?

well mine has not been registered for $90.00 since 99 ...thats a long build time..guess its time to get legal since she is almost ready n couple months ...fingers crossed

Comment

my family works at DMV in Sac..on Broadway.
      Its 4 years
      And its not new...its been that way as long as they can remember they said.

Comment

So what is the time frame for 1 to get off the records??

Comment

straight from the DMV employee guideline book:

When a customer indicates he/she was not aware that outstanding fees and/or penalties are due on a vehicle, you must determine if it is appropriate for the department to waive the fees and/or penalties in question by verifying the circumstances with the customer.

Comment

thats why I use the DMV wizard she is awesome her name is Jamie and she is in the sacramento area. I had all kinds of strange things with my bronco and she charged me 25$ to go to DMV and took care of it for me they charged her about 120$ less then I would have bin. And I dident need to go to DMV and loose a day of work plus be all pissed off talking to those asshats that work the counter. I wish I found her years ago.I have used her three time in the last year.

Comment

I haven't stepped foot in a DMV in 10+ years. I refuse. Their all a$$holes...mad at the world and just bad attitudes. I register my cars, renew, deal with speeding tickets and all that through my family.
              As you can see they also provide the good insider CIA operative information that the general public dont know about

Comment

My question was about a possible new law that would require a person registering a vehicle that is not on the DMV (4 year) scope to pay 3 years back fees. That would mean a person building a Bronco from parts (like me) or owning vehicles that are classic/antique project cars (me again) to pay back fees on a vehicle that virtually did not previously exist.

I will not be surprised if it is true... just dumbfounded.
                Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

It's all a judgment call from the person you get at DMV. Do you feal lucky?

Comment

Been that way for a long time now. And it's worse than that. "Plus penalties" - 40 percent for the first year, 80 percent for the second, and 120 percent for the third. I think they stop at three years, but I can't confirm that. Two ways around that. First is if the vehicle was non-opped before the last reg expired. If so the back fees and penalties don't apply. Second is to have the vehicle registered under "collector" status, but if you do that they base your fee on the appraised value once restored (even if it's a basket case) and you have to use their appraiser. I've heard of folks registering the vehicle out of state to get it current, then "bringing it back in" to CA to avoid all the DMV b.s. Good luck! JL
                    '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

Working...
                    X