Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper Bracing

Hey all,

Just took ownership of the proto fab rock blocker rear bumper for a 2" body lift. It has the swing tire mount & will have a 37" tire. Looking for good ideas on bracing the frame and or bumper for the tire weight and such. I have seen the bronco that had the bumper fall off, trying to avoid that. Bumper looks well built but looking to prevent failure in the future. Pictures and/or advice would be awesome.

Re: Bumper Bracing

I boxed mine in with scraps of 1/8 or 3/16" steel I had around. Also bought some heavy square steel washers, welded them on to reinforce the holes top and bottom. I built my bumper, it supports my 37" spare and jerry can on swing outs pretty well. If you're in the neighborhood you're welcome to stop by. Always wanted to do more but what I have works.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by twisted 66 View Post
      I have seen the bronco that had the bumper fall off, trying to avoid that.
      Take your time and straighten the frame horns. Make sure they are square and level with the ground.
      The weld in a piece of scrap on the side of the frame to make the horns a box.

Now when you do this, you loose the ablity to bolt the profab bumper the way they intended it to bolt to the frame (bad idea imho). Weld a nut onto a piece of steel the same width as the frame to shove inside so you can use one of the bolts on the "L" shaped bracket. Then I used a carrige bolt and ran it up from the bottom and tightened the living hell out of it. TBS-POPS even used his muscle on it. my bumper is not going anywhere anytime soon.

I cant really explain that well through a keyboard, but give me a call if you need help on it. PM me if you dont have my number yet.

Heres the picture
      Attached Files
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Thanks, I will take what you guys advised and come up with something.

Thanks again..

Comment

Working...
        X