Mini Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Adventure

I have a one day meeting at Fort Lewis so I decided to drive and make it a four day mini adventure. Oregan was foggy most of the trip but I did stop at a nice diner for lunch and a lady named "Sparkdiggler" was my waitress. I wanted to get a picture of her name tag but decided against it.

It was late when I arrived in Washington, the following morning I woke to Mount Rainier standing tall outside my Hotel window. The meeting was finsihed by 11 so I decided I'm going to Idaho. I drove route 90 through the Cascades and stayed the night in Lewiston. If you've not been to Lewiston its a big paper mill town on the Snake river. Snow was pretty much every where but not very deep. Seems everyone has a snow mobile in the bed of there trucks and some of those machines look wicked. I decided I want to ride one sometime in the back country. That has got to be a blast.

I drove south down route 95 skirting the Nez Perce and Payette National Forest. The area between New Meadows and Council was beautiful. I think I'm going to have to return to that area an explore more as a possible retirement location.

Besides the natural beauty of the place I notice one other really big difference. Idaho has a law that you are not allowed to drive in the fast lane unless you are passing someone. And get this everyone was obeying it. Once I dropped down in the Nevada wouldn't you know it the first two guys I came upon that would not move to the right had California license plates. Already planning a return trip for March and this time the family has decided they want in on the fun. Maybe head up route 93 and follow the Salmon river
    Attached Files

Re: Mini Adventure

My neck of the woods! Looks like a fun time....
    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

I love that part of the country, lots of places to go explore. I have driven up and down highway 95 more times than I care to think about visiting family in Western Idaho and Eastern Oregon literally my whole life. Highway 93 on the east end of the state is a bit more scenic as I recall, so your future plans sound like good ones.

I am sure if EarlyBronco72 and/or Lars are reading this they will chime in as well.

Riding a snowmobile in the backcountry is an absolute blast and in my experience far more affordable in Idaho than in California (like most everything). I went on a guided snowmobile tour north of Boise (near McCall) many years ago. It included an experienced guide, groomed trails, hot lunch, swimming in a natural hot spring pool, and "free time" of riding off-trail for several hours and I want to say it was less than $50/person. At the time it seemed like an unbelievable deal.

If/when you do go back up and tour the east side of the state, if you have a 4x4 SUV (stock Chevy Tahoe or equivalent), you can drive for hundreds of miles on dirt roads, it is absolutely unreal. I have probably 1000 pictures from a trip I took up 93, through Sun Valley, into Montana, down through Wyoming (Gran Tetons/Yellowstone) and back into Idaho. I drove probably 1/3 of that off-road in a stock Tahoe, saw some amazing scenery and had a great trip overall.

Anyway... sounds like you had a good trip. Sorry for the novel, but I needed a "brain break" today. lol
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Brad,

When I saw the waitresses name tag I wanted to photo it and text you some BS comment. Somehow I thought better of it. Must be age.

Tony,
        No your comments were great and I liked the experience. I didn't know you can rent a snow machine (Adding that to my trip) and its great to hear from those who have already been in the area. I didn't take many pictures and the trip helped me decide to buy a camera as the cell hone camera thing doesn't work.

Although having no schedule and no place really to be sure made the trip fun. I was the slow guy everyone passed cause I was looking at everything. I saw two old Bronco's sitting in yards too.
        Last edited by workin it; 01-09-2014, 12:18 PM. Reason: Thanks Brad

Comment

Working...
        X