Looking for a new job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new job

Hi all. Let me apologize in advance for this non-Bronco related post. Currently my wife and I are working as supervisors at UPS. The hours that are available to us are very limited and with some upcoming expenses on the way a new or even an additional job is in order. Not looking for anything specific as my professional experience is all over the place. Would be great to find something that I would gain some experience and lead to a career. I know the Bronco community has there hands in many trades. Thought I would reach out to see if any of you may know of any opportunities or even a good place to look. Preferably something in the south bay, but would commute for a good opportunity. Can provide more details of my experience and resume. Many thanks.

Peter
    We're here for a good time, not a long time!

Re: Looking for a new job

Peter,

Sorry to hear that you are in the hunt...
    I guess it would help some, without having you post your Resume, what are you looking at doing or what have you done in the past?

I could say that we have an opening for an IT guy, but you may not have any experience there... Just a Random thought...
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Construction materials testing can be a good gig. The hours can get a bit long. Generally no education is required. Certs are required but usually your employer will pay to do get them. Pay can be ok to great. 40k to 120k down here in Fresno. It varies depending on your certs/experiance but mainly how much prevailing wage you can get. I've know quite a few guys who started with no experience on full time PW.

Comment

Send me your resume' I have a few openings in the electrical field or might be able to direct you somewhere that fits your qualifications.

Ken
        69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

My post was rather vague. Early on I did quite a bit of retail management, worked as a project manager for a granite counter top company, worked for a kitchen & bath company doing appliance installation, and now I supervise/dispatch teamsters for UPS. Ideally I would like to get away from the desk and get into a trade. Really like being outside, getting dirty and working with my hands. Have a lot experience of tools and mechanics. The problem I run into is that all of my work experience on paper is not relevant to the jobs I desire.

IT doesn't fit my skill set, but thank you. I have never heard of construction material testing. I'll be looking into that. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

The economy is rebounding pretty good so I would suggest looking at government jobs. I started as a Community Service Officer and eventually fell into being a Police Officer. Being a cop is not for everyone, but the CSO job was fun, it paid well, and had good retirement/benefits.
            1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

Originally posted by jperry1290 View Post
              The economy is rebounding pretty good so I would suggest looking at government jobs. I started as a Community Service Officer and eventually fell into being a Police Officer. Being a cop is not for everyone, but the CSO job was fun, it paid well, and had good retirement/benefits.
              I actually applied for a couple CSO positions, but had no luck. Seemed like it would be a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy View Post
                IT doesn't fit my skill set, but thank you. I have never heard of construction material testing. I'll be looking into that. Thanks for all the input.
                That was just an example... I could have said sheetrock dust abatement Technician... Just tossing out a job.

Start hitting local Cities websites to see what is available there...

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy View Post
                  I actually applied for a couple CSO positions, but had no luck. Seemed like it would be a good job.
                  Check out Stanford Dept of Public Safety they have CSO...

Comment

I'll go against everyone here, I've got a lot of friends and family with 10-40 years at UPS, stick it out through the hard times, they are a great company, if yo need a change I'd look internal.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I'm looking too. I'm a welder/fitter/fabricator and I'm growing tired of it. Been trying with PG&E and the refineries and no luck yet. I need a physical/field job because I worked in the office for 2 months and can't stand that environment again. Can't afford to start over as an apprentice and don't really know what I want to get into either.

Comment

"I would have written less but did not have the time". Winston Churchill

I work with concrete, pipe and electrical inspectors that make upwards of $50/hr. I do not know what you have to do to get into the field. Check it out. I agree with Mark, go sideways in UPS for something that suits you better. Talk to your boss. Build on what you have.

That said, life is to short to waste on a job you have no passion for. I went back to school when 40 years old. Ended up with a degree in archaeology. Worked in the field for over 20 years and liked it. Had some great jobs... Yosemite, Portland, Seattle, San Diego, Nevada and many backwoods places. However, I became disillusioned with the partying and politics of the crews and became a loner specializing in construction monitoring of arch sites.

Through a construction management company I had worked with but not for I got my present job as "Environmental Coordinator". I've only been here two weeks but feel this is what I should have been doing all along. Construction is a challenging field with many aspects. The people are down to earth and have a work ethic I enjoy.

Think about a two year college degree. Good opportunities there. Maybe you will like it and go for a masters degree. It happens.
                        Last edited by Henry66; 01-17-2014, 06:54 PM.
                        Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

Working for UPS really isn't as good as everyone thinks. Working on the management side is not a career path/lifestyle I want to follow. Really appreciate all of your guys suggestions. I'm looking into all of them.

Comment

Good luck on the search. From my experience I would say that every job gets old after awhile and the grass is always greener someplace else. Just be sure that you find a job with good benefits and retirement to take care of you when you 're old. Also think about if you want to be outside busting your hump in 20yrs. I also work with a lot of guys that live well beyond their means and need OT to survive.
                            1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

Originally posted by jperry1290 View Post
                              Also think about if you want to be outside busting your hump in 20yrs. I also work with a lot of guys that live well beyond their means and need OT to survive.
                              Very true... A few guys in my FD had a reality check with the housing market change and stock market adjustments.

Comment

Working...
                              X