• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sac area machine shop?

any one have any good recommendations?

Re: sac area machine shop?

Really depends on what you want done.

Overall good machinist with a performance bent, Nathon at Horse Power by Gerolomy. Carmichael

Good old time machinist, Bud at Walmers machine. Orangevale

Good work if you can put up with the attitude, Don at Motor Machine. Carmichael

Just basic work, Dave at Mothers automotive. Fair Oaks.

The hidden gem, Jerry at Prentis Enterprizes. Rancho Cordova

Can not recommend any shops in Rocklin or Roseville.

Tell them Mike Dobson that used to work at Motorwarehouse sent you.

Comment

thanks Mike.

Just want to get a set of heads checked out before I buy them

Comment

I'm probably going to get my stroker kit balanced at Motor Machine Warehouse. A co-worker just had a 540 built there and he's happy with it so far.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

If I wanted to get a 351W block hot-tanked and inspected, cam bearings installed, possibly bored and decked, and get a rotating assembly balanced, which of those listed would be the best choice? Or are there others? I'm not opposed to driving the thing to the bay area to make sure it's done right, etc.
          1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
          I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

You don't need to go to the bay area for basic block work. Any of the mentioned shops can do it. A few more good shops in the area that do good block work are Dels Machine off of El Camino and Albatross, and Parrish Automotive in North Highlands.
            Where do live Lars?Maybe I can recommend one closer.

Comment

He's in the Dixon 'area'
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

T.O.E enterprises in Suisun. Great little place. They've been building drag cars, off shore boats and P51 mustang stuff for jelly Belly and others for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcdobson View Post
                  You don't need to go to the bay area for basic block work. Any of the mentioned shops can do it. A few more good shops in the area that do good block work are Dels Machine off of El Camino and Albatross, and Parrish Automotive in North Highlands.
                  Where do live Lars?Maybe I can recommend one closer.
                  I'm in Davis. Any advice appreciated!

Originally posted by workin it View Post
                  T.O.E enterprises in Suisun. Great little place. They've been building drag cars, off shore boats and P51 mustang stuff for jelly Belly and others for years.
                  I know about the Jelly Belly Mustang. I've met Brant Seghetti a couple of times. Rough life, having to fly that thing once in awhile. I'll have to make do with my itty bitty RV-7... I'll check them out, thanks!
                  Last edited by Lars; 04-25-2014, 05:23 PM.
                  1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                  I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Mike,

any one you would recommend to help me diagnose what I 'think' is a failing main bearing?

Comment

Without pulling it apart, you can't tell for sure. If a bearing is failing, there will be metal flakes in the oil. A bad rod bearing will make a chirping noise if you stab the gas, a main may not make any noise at all.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lars;148639]I'm in Davis. Any advice appreciated!

Sorry Lars, I haven't been around in a while. Davis doesn't allow dirty businesses like machine shops in their city. You can come to Sac. or the Napa store in Vacaville has had a pretty decent shop in the past. I believe it is on Mason st.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcdobson View Post
                          Without pulling it apart, you can't tell for sure. If a bearing is failing, there will be metal flakes in the oil. A bad rod bearing will make a chirping noise if you stab the gas, a main may not make any noise at all.
                          Ill check the oil tonight or tomorrow. Anyone you reco taking it to?

Comment

Horsepower by Gerolomy in Carmichael is now Performance Engines, the owner's name is Rich. That's where I had my stroker rotating assembly balanced. He is definitely a perfectionist, but seems like a pretty good guy and he's fair. IIRC he charges $75 to disassemble, hot tank and inspect a set of heads.
                            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Rich at Performance Engines is a good guy. Nathan Gerolomy (HP by Gerolomy) is in the same building. You can get a two fer one opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X