Which Would You Run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Would You Run?

So like a dumb arse, I was at Ruff Stuff to get some heims for my radius arms and decided to get their BEEFY 9" pinion guard as well. Like I said, like a dumb arse, I didn't realize that my Duff's diff cover also kinda protects my pinion (shorter)...so... I can't decide if I want to run what I have, but extend the pinion protection so it protects my u-joint, OR ditch the anchor (I do get hung up on that cover) and use the beefy one from Ruff Stuff.

I know it may be trivial, but I'm putting it out there to the masses
    Attached Files
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Re: Which Would You Run?

Ruff stuff
    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

I run the duff shovel, I think it really helps slide off of stuff vs getting hung up when I drag the diff. You only sacrifice maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so and the diff housing isn't all that stout.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I had the ruff stuff pinion guard but should've plated the bottom of my housing because I did rub through it...
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys....I really like the Ruff Stuff one b/c it's simple, but EFIbroncoman brought up a good point. (I had to pound the bottom/rear out where it took a hit). This is what I came up with, am I going on paranoia or would this work.....see any issues before I weld it together?
          Attached Files
          '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Ruff stuff still has an option....

Comment

I would run the RS pinion guard and weld a piece of. Plate to the bottom.
              That bill looks like it could get ripped off easily.
              {o===o}
              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
              Originally posted by CityHick
              I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                I would run the RS pinion guard and weld a piece of. Plate to the bottom.
                That bill looks like it could get ripped off easily.
                Think it would come off even with the plate running the length of the bottom welded in, and another piece on top? (1/4" thick total).

Any pics of a plated 9"?

Comment

Plate the bottom.
                  http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...6&postcount=39
                  Or shave it.
                  {o===o}
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                  Originally posted by CityHick
                  I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                    I was just going to post some pictures that I took as I was doing that, but you beat me to it!

Comment

That'll be fun while still on the rig.....

Comment

I wonder if you could combine the two... Cut the front edge off of the Duff skid and weld or bolt it to the RS pinion guard to protect the yoke and bottom of the diff... I was thinking of doing this before I decided to upgrade to a Dana 70U.
                        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I took the ruff stuff pinion guard and extended it, my thoughts were one smooth flat surface to slide on
                          Mark Harris
                          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                            I took the ruff stuff pinion guard and extended it, my thoughts were one smooth flat surface to slide on
                            Hmm. You got a pic?

Comment

Hi,

I just built a 9 inch for another EB. It had the Ruff-Stuff pinion mounted guard. The Ford 9 inch pinion support is not designed to carry the load of the truck, and is barely adequate for holding the pinion snubber.

When his pinion guard bounced off a rock...the housing bolts failed, and the guard, pinion support, pinion, and chunks of the housing exploded out the front of the housing.

I refused to re-install the cantilevered ruff-stuff differential destroyer. It is a piss poor design.

The idea of the Wild H shovel seems better...but I really like the idea of plating the housing, and building an integral skidplate.

...Well, that's not really true. I don't actually like the 9 inch. I just yanked my brand new 31 spline 4.57 Detroit 9 inch and raised my driveshaft 4 inches by doing THIS:

Now I don't have to worry about sliding over rocks. I just get hopelessly hung up. But it doesn't break!

Comment

Working...
                              X