Need some HELP!(2wd box)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some HELP!(2wd box)

well i have alomst all the parts ready to be installed on my truck and was told by another bronco owner that i need to go with a collapsible steering shaft.
    just wondering if any bronco owners with the 2wd box can show me some pictures of there set up (box) did you have to make a mods to the steering shaft?

with this rain its hard to play nascar whith my steering wheel and its scary on the freeway. my manuel box is about to take a dump on me soon and i want to get this 2wd box in as soon as i can.

thanks for letting me bug ya
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

I didn't use a colapsable collum when I did mine, but I did buy a really expensive Flaming River Ujoint to make the connection to the box. I'm sure that doesn't really help, but I thought you might want to know there are other options out there.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I didnt use the collapsable shaft on my 75 and like Marc I did buy the $$ Flaming River joint.

Comment

When the rain stops I will take a picture of mine. I did not build it, but it uses the stock collum.
        1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

I had issues with binding during turns and under heavy accelleration. Originally I had the stock column with a 2" body lift and a one piece shaft all the way to the box. The body would flex and bind the shaft during turning. I swapped in a GM tilt column out of a nova and added a second ujoint at the bottom of the column. I also made a collapsable shaft out of the inner shaft of a GM column, it's a double D type. I just cut off the ends and fabbed it up. If you want a pic of mine I can get one.
          1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

With a stock PS box a 2" BL is usually beyond the point of just sliding the column down enough to make things reach using the factory rag joint solid shaft. I don't know where a 2wd box sits compared to a stock box but if it is 1/2" close to the firewall it would probably work. the WH kit comes with just a new lower u-joint so at the least you may need that. You could always hit the wrecking yards and make your own. If you need a factory PS solid shaft w/ a rag joint I will have one shortly when I install my slip shaft and BL. (free)
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

thats perfect.

my whole knit pick at all of this is my bronco is my DD and i cannot afford for it to be down more than one day durring the week (well if my boss doesnt yell at me for saying "my trucks broke and i cant come in" she will make me ride my bike. ) just wanted to get all the facts before i rip out that sloppy manuel box.
              well i guess thats the draw back of buying a bronco and going to a J.C. and working full time to scroung up some change (Did i mention GAS SUCKS! well i mean my bronco sucks the gas out of the tank). but wouldnt have it any other way.
              once i get all the parts (should be next week) i will come home from work aroung 5 and tear the old box off and what ever else i can tear down before it gets too cold or wet. then all day sat i will work on putting it together and on sun i should just have a 1/2 day of work on it but who know. ill probbaly be up till 3 in the morning filling up the pump with fluid hahaha lets hope not

and once again thanks for letting me bug you with my minor build
              {o===o}
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Spaceburger

pics are perfect. looks like its doable with my set up thanks again

Highlander
                did you have to cut your shaft at all? and redrill a new hole for the joint??
                {o===o}

Comment

Bronco's IMO don't need a collapsible shaft. These were invented to keep the steering wheel from inpailing people in a front end wreck. But the cars that had these also have front crumple zones. A good frame and a good bumper will most likey never crush so much in ours to move that steering wheel into your chest.
                  I know a few people that run them, and you can get them from an Astro van very cheap, I just think its not needed in an EB.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Highlander
                    did you have to cut your shaft at all? and redrill a new hole for the joint??
                    I don't have a 2wd box. I used to have a EB box with a factory PS shaft (no cuting or drilling), I know have a Scout box using the same shaft (1" BL). I have a 2" BL waiting to go in and when it does the stock shaft will be to short so it is being replaced with a slip shaft and new joints.
                    From what the WH catalog says it sounds like the 2wd box is splined diffrent than the EB boxes, therefore requiring a diffrent lower joint. If you pulled the shaft with your 2wd box you might be able to make it work with some minor fabbing. WH sells the jonts the spicer is ~$55 and the Flaming river is ~$70. They both are intended to go on the end of a cut and drilled manual shaft (3/4")
                    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

the EB manuel box and 2wd box have the same sline count and size so im good on that. the only part i know i am going to screw up on is drilling a new hole in the steering shaft. hahaha :finger crossed:
                      {o===o}

Comment

Working...
                      X