Another Jeep question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Jeep question

OK, this jeep (79 CJ7 6cyl) I was looking at for my niece, the owner texted me and said he would drop the price because he had a little mishap. The towbar fell down while he was driving it. I went by and snapped a few pics.

Looks like the frame is bent in front where the bumper attachment is. It split the seam where the fender meets the body and buckled the hood.

Is this thing toast now?
    Attached Files

Re: Another Jeep question

mmmm, I wouldn't do it.
    There is a nice CJ5 on Bullard right before Polaski though. Were you coming out of Prather on Thursday? I saw a nice blue bronco on our way up to shaver.
    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Thanks. I sent her over to look and get some pics.

Thurs about 6. It was me.

Comment

Don't let her get a CJ5 the extra money spent on a CJ7 is worth it. Longer wheel base =better handing IMO
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I would skip it like cj5 if there no smog but cj7 is nice till you try smogging them

Comment

I'd skip that jeep. Bent frames are no bueno, the potential for dangerous handling and mechanical failures is too great for me to want to put a family member into that rig. At a minimum, have a reputable body/frame shop examine the damage. Keep looking.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
              I'd skip that jeep. Bent frames are no bueno, the potential for dangerous handling and mechanical failures is too great for me to want to put a family member into that rig. At a minimum, have a reputable body/frame shop examine the damage. Keep looking.
              VERY good advice.

What do you guys think about Wranglers. I know nothing about jeeps
              http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4580760970.html

Comment

If you can get it real cheap, you can swap in an aftermarket frame. Stock jeep frames are pure shit and crack just looking at them. You can prolly find a Tj for the price of that wrangler.
                70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

I'm just figuring out all the CJ, TJ XYand ZJ stuff. is there anything I should just plain stay away from? CityHick has the best point. I want her in a safe vehicle if there is such a thing. Since I'll be financing it And working on it I don't want to get into something I'll regret.

Comment

I just fixed a frame bent much worse then that on a CJ5.
                    It all depends on skill level vs paying someone, factor in price too.
                    All it took was some bottle jacks, a huge I beam and a welder.
                    A I would bet with a bent frame it's a 500$ jeep.
                    If you pass, let me know the seller as I would probably pick it up.

CJ5's are dirt cheap, if you pick one up try not to pay a lot for it.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Sorry I led you astray that yellow cj5 was on 3rd street. It's bright sun yellow with a Chevy 350 auto.
                      72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

What do you think about a salvage title?

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4630867133.html

Comment

A salvage title could be from something minor. I would be leary with newer cars etc. Not much to a jeep. As long as it wasn't sunk and has sand in the motor or was in a big wreck, why not.
                          67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                          69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                          69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                          79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                          67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Working...
                          X