Parts to grab from 1998 Explorer 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts to grab from 1998 Explorer 5.0

I feel like I should not even have to post this, but in case I am forgetting something...

I know where there's a 1998 Mountaineer/Explorer with a 5.0 and automatic transmission that is ripe for the picking. The engine, transmission and most of the EFI parts are spoken for, as is the front dress. It was a hell of a deal and I am going to help pull the important parts soon. The truck has 120K miles on it and the transmission doesn't even shift into gear so its a complete unknown. The engine runs very well though and it's going to be used in a non-bronco project.

What else is there of value on this rig that we should not let go to the junk yard? Is the radiator good for EBs or is it only the 6-cyl radiator that works? Anything else... electrical, etc that I should yank? Not necessarily for myself but if anybody wants parts speak up and I can get stuff. I am sure there must be some random re-usable accessories that I can't remember.... fan, etc... who knows.

Let me know... I may be pulling stuff this weekend.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Parts to grab from 1998 Explorer 5.0

Rear disc brake set up is adaptable to broncos...

If you are not using the ECU, I have interest
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

ECU and harness will be shelfware for a while, may be used, maybe not. If I didn't have so much invested in my alternator and power steering pump I'd keep the accessories for me. But they're likely taken.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Some 2WD Explorers have a one piece aluminum driveshaft. They are 3.5 inch diameter, and useful for shortening for Mustangs, etc.

I don't need one right now, but would be happy to put one on the shelf if you have it.

Comment

Jeep Wrangler guys use the rear axle. You could probably make a few bucks selling it.

Comment

The In tank fuel pump is good and adaptable into a 23 gallon tank.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I'll echo gddyap's comment on the rear end. Desireable for hot rod guys too as most have a LSD with 3.73s, disc brakes obviously and they're the right width to fit many applications on older rods.

The only exploder radiators I know of Tony that fit our EB needs are the 1st gen 4.0L radiators. The 2nd gen ones are too wide.
              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Thanks guys. I got distracted today and did not make it up to begin the scavenging, but soon...
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                  Thanks guys. I got distracted today and did not make it up to begin the scavenging, but soon...
                  Must have been the nice weather Tony, 76* here today. But as soon as the sun dropped it was a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                    Must have been the nice weather Tony, 76* here today. But as soon as the sun dropped it was a different story.
                    Yes sir that was part of it. Drove the Bronco around, hiked with the dog a while, dinner date last night. Had great plans for today but allergies sidelined me pretty hard today. From what I hear, the explorer engine is partially stripped and with a couple of calls for my consulting, things seem to be coming apart nice and neatly. Engine likely to be pulled next weekend since I could not care less about the super bowl.
                    I am going to grab the brakes and maybe some intake-related parts.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Take the fuel pump inertia switch, it's located on the passenger side floor board/kickpanel. Grab the OBDII port also, drivers side, under dash. If you're planning on using the harness and PCM someday. The fuel filter, bracket and quick connects from both sides of the filter are nice to use. Barbed fittings under the nylon hose.

Mark
                      Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Yep we're going to grab everything related to OBDII and may use it one day. The way it sounds, this motor is getting a better cam, possibly aluminum heads, and will be run with a carburetor (gag) for a year. Then converted back to EFI maybe one day. Not my choice, I am just labor.
                        I guess the rear axle has to stay under it but that wont' stop me from grabbing the brake hardware off of it.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Save the stock exhaust manifolds for me, appartently I'm the only only one that runs them. I used the Explorer throttle cable also, helps if you cut the piece out of the firewall that the cable snaps into.

Mark
                          Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Originally posted by garberz View Post
                            Save the stock exhaust manifolds for me, appartently I'm the only only one that runs them. I used the Explorer throttle cable also, helps if you cut the piece out of the firewall that the cable snaps into.

Mark
                            You are not, I am running the stock "Oh so restrictive" manifolds as well...
                            If it was a 96, I would be asking for the throttle cable as a spare. 1998 is different.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                              You are not, I am running the stock "Oh so restrictive" manifolds as well...
                              If it was a 96, I would be asking for the throttle cable as a spare. 1998 is different.
                              Glad to see someone else has to explain, "Why are you running those manifolds"?
                              Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Working...
                              X