Off Topic - New Pickup Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Off Topic - New Pickup Trucks

Concerned about MPG? You know I had a 2015 Tacoma, that thing, I drove 150 miles back and forth to work weekly,
    For a couple months earlier this year, fellow millwright doing the same in his 2014 5.0 powered F150, was getting better MPG to this job. Kicker was I wanted a 5.0 F150 crew when I was looking at the Tacos.

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
      The current GMC trucks are nice looking, but I really dislike the Chevy front grill, it bothers me. I'd consider another GM product however one of my good friends bought a GMC Denali HD with a duramax and when he hits a bump in the road, my head contacts the ceiling. That is with the seat adjusted all the way down. I am tall.
      I bought a 2015 Ram Crew 4x4 over all the others mainly due to the seat position - it was much more comfortable for me at 6'4". The GM and Ford options were not comfortable for me. Over the years, I have owned them all with good experiences, some years one brand just has it over the others.

Comment

I have 2010 Dodge 3500 SRW with about 75k miles. I have had some issues with the power steering, and some broken TREs. Both were eventually fixed under recall, but it took several dealer visits with misdiagnosed repairs. I haven't been impressed with the dealer service. The interior is holding up well and no issues with window leaks. Overall I am pretty happy with the truck.
        As for mileage I tend to average 12 mpg for my daily commute, but that is mountain driving and towing often, if I go a while with out towing it gets around 14. Highway trips about the best I see is 17. After about 65mph MPG drops pretty fast. I have 34s with 3.73 gears.
        If I didn't tow heavy trailers often, 8k several days a week and 16k about 4-5 times a month, I would not drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. A half ton drives and rides so much better plus fuel, oil changes, tires, maintenance, and registration is much cheaper. Diesel normally costs more then gas. And even though modern diesels are less noisy they are still much louder and vibrate more than gas trucks.
        My 2001 Chevy 1500 was always less fatiguing to drive then any of my diesels. I just recently sold it with 270k and it still ran great on the original drive train. Only issues we had were the transfer case, fuel pump, and some minor smog parts. The kid we sold it too now has over 400k and all he has done is an alternator. I am not crazy about the new GM truck front ends either, but the mileage, power, and reliability are pretty appealing. Before I bought the van I was pretty close to buying a Tacoma, and still would like one or possibly a new Colorado for a cheaper run around vehicle.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Why don't you just put the 50k ish into an EB, buy a trailer and roll the EB as a daily driver. Not sure of your commute, an Accord or something could work for driving around town. Seems like some a good option?

Comment

MPG is just one of many considerations - obviously I am looking at trucks, I know what I am getting into.
            Highlander - I hear you about the ride and comfort aspects and that is a consideration too. I have driven the wheels off of my 2000 Silverado, for many years it was my daily driver. I now drive a Passat TDI which while it is comfortable and ridiculously economical, it is SO boring. It's only saving grace is that its got a hell of a sound system and its got reasonable power for passing unlike most hybrids I've driven. I am pretty much bored with sedans. I never really wanted the car, I bought it when fuel was $4+/gal. I would keep it but as I have said the buyback is too good.
            Back on topic - the only reason I am really even considering a 3/4 ton (as much as I dislike that term as its so outdated), is because when I spec out a 1/2 ton the price difference in stepping up to a heavier truck is small enough that it almost does not make sense.
            As for an EB as a daily driver or surrogate truck (with trailer), I have considered that too. I don't see that happening, its just not a reasonable substitute. I use my truck as a truck often enough that I'd be annoyed having to hook on to a trailer when I go get landscaping supplies, lumber, steel, etc. I also got back into snow skiing in a big way last year and plan to continue that hobby again this year. Having a truck with 4x4 capability, that is still comfortable and nice to drive is a luxury I am not ready to give up.
            Not to mention I already have way too much invested in my Bronco. It is a weekend ride and an occasional camping/4-wheeling rig.

I am busy this weekend so I probably won't get much chance to go look at trucks again for at least another week. I just haven't found many car options that meet enough of my desires and I keep circling back to looking at trucks. I have looked at all kinds of vehicles... SUV/Crossovers, Subarus, other boring sedans, sports cars, etc.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

I've been kicking this idea around too Tony.
              Im finally at a point in my life where I NEED a truck.

I had a 7.3 for a short time and that was a mistake. I thought I was going to tow my bronco everywhere.
              I commuted in it for a while and realized that the MPG sucks. Everyone told me they get great mileage (going down hwy5 with the wind). I averaged 16-17 mpg every time i filled up. The benefit of the diesel did not out weigh the practicability, like Steve said earlier.

With that said. Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota all make really nice 1/2 ton trucks. I do see a lot of used ecoboosts online. Im not sure why, I think because those are the people that "Upgrade" their ride every few years.

I have two options I've been kicking around lately.
              A "gently used" Crew cab, Lariat, 5.0 F150.
              or
              Subaru Crosstrek (AWD hatchback) and find an early 2000's 1500 or f150.

I still cant figure it out.
              {o===o}
              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
              Originally posted by CityHick
              I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                Tony, How about a Tacoma? Or wait for the new Ranger in 2018... Or is 2020 now, when the Bronco comes back?
                Just sold my 2007 Tacoma double cab back in August. Cannot say enough good things about the trucks but it was time to sell and start looking for a diesel. For anyone looking at getting a Tacoma, it's a great truck and investment. I put 150k miles on mine over 9 years and turned around and sold it for $3k less than I bought it. Never any issues, only regular maintenance needed, and two sets of tires.

Comment

I've never had this hard of a time figuring out what I want; nor have I ever been this non-brand loyal. When I bought my Mustang, it was exactly what I wanted, same with my Bronco and my truck, and to a limited extent, my Passat.
                  The Passat is just so single-purpose. I went all in on it, top of the line, every single option including the 18" wheels which can't accept tire chains. So its never really been anything but a commuter for me. I still drive my truck quite a bit on weekends, use it whenever I have to take the dog anywhere, drive it when the weather is bad, etc. It sucks paying registration, smog, and insurance on 2 vehicles on top of the limited expenses of the Bronco. The Passat happens to be my most presentable vehicle too... but that was my truck's job for so long.

I don't know.. can't really get out to drive stuff today. The passat buyback is supposed to happen fairly soon and I am taking a little time off so I may use some of that for car shopping. We'll see.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Since you mentioned you wanted something not boring to drive have you considered a Raptor? Should fill your truck needs.
                    Last edited by highlander; 10-15-2016, 02:52 PM.
                    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
                      Since you mentioned you wanted something not boring to drive have you considered a Raptor? Should fill your truck needs.
                      I have. The styling is a little much, but it would be a fun choice.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

I can see you in a Subaru Baja.....it's as awesome as a mullet. Casual up front party in the back....hahaha
                        70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                          I've been kicking this idea around too Tony.
                          Im finally at a point in my life where I NEED a truck.

I had a 7.3 for a short time and that was a mistake. I thought I was going to tow my bronco everywhere.
                          I commuted in it for a while and realized that the MPG sucks. Everyone told me they get great mileage (going down hwy5 with the wind). I averaged 16-17 mpg every time i filled up. The benefit of the diesel did not out weigh the practicability, like Steve said earlier.

With that said. Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota all make really nice 1/2 ton trucks. I do see a lot of used ecoboosts online. Im not sure why, I think because those are the people that "Upgrade" their ride every few years.

I have two options I've been kicking around lately.
                          A "gently used" Crew cab, Lariat, 5.0 F150.
                          or
                          Subaru Crosstrek (AWD hatchback) and find an early 2000's 1500 or f150.

I still cant figure it out.
                          I like my crosstrek.....but I did just kill my mpg's in the hills with my new tires.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160917_101816.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	274319
                          70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Originally posted by bent70 View Post
                            I can see you in a Subaru Baja.....it's as awesome as a mullet. Casual up front party in the back....hahaha
                            hahaha. I'd get a classic El Camino before that, or maybe an old brat!
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

I am kind of leaning towards the Tundra to replace my Tacoma...
                              68 Slightly modified
                              67 LUBR once again
                              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
                                I am kind of leaning towards the Tundra to replace my Tacoma...

Then you can borrow my trailer when you need it.
                                Marc D.
                                If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Working...
                                X