Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Off Topic - New Pickup Trucks

Originally posted by bent70 View Post
    I like my crosstrek.....but I did just kill my mpg's in the hills with my new tires.[ATTACH=CONFIG]30705[/ATTACH]
    Aren't those called les-burus because of who typically drives them?
    I know another Bronco guy who has a diesel Jetta. He said he has time before he has to turn it in for the payout. He works for Tesla and will probably get a Model 3.

Comment

Originally posted by gddyap View Post
      Aren't those called les-burus because of who typically drives them?
      I know another Bronco guy who has a diesel Jetta. He said he has time before he has to turn it in for the payout. He works for Tesla and will probably get a Model 3.
      Subaru's demographic is changing a lot. I actually know a handful of retired guys in their 60s-70s who bought them for their higher step-in height.
      I have considered buying a used tesla model S. A friend of mine has a 2016 70d, its pretty awesome. I went to the tesla store in Pleasanton a while back and got the tour. I then got back on this truck idea...
      In ways I am tempted to buy another economical car and then work towards replacing my truck, staying at 3 vehicles. I would however really like to reduce the fleet. we'll see.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
        In ways I am tempted to buy another economical car and then work towards replacing my truck, staying at 3 vehicles. I would however really like to reduce the fleet. we'll see.
        That's the philosophy I follow, everyone's like 3 vehicles? Why? I reply and a quad,and more shit still to come!

After all, the car's MPG, allows me that flexibility in freeing up the cash flow to buy the other stuff. What the big truck costs to do the same distance the car does in..... that's a shitload of beer! Yet the car can't pull a trailer or haul sheets of Reno supplies, so I think it's a happy medium for me.

Eventually the car will be paid outright, then plan is for a 3-5 year old F350 to replace the leaky cummins.

Comment

While I own an eco boost, I did swap for a few days with a friend who needed a bigger truck (Mine) to do his HVAC stuff out of.
          I had his 2014 eco boost for 3 days, it drove nice, rode nice, the power was ok, but was not that of a diesel.
          THe main thing I hated about his truck was with a short bed crew cab, the bed was only 5' long.

I say if you're shopping for something, get something that can run a cab over camper. I love mine, they are mostly cheap, and they let you go anywhere you want to.

As for rigs, while mine is well used...
          2005 dodge 2500 cummins that 'lighty' modded.
          it has 180k miles, I've only replaced the batteriers and brakes, but it does feel like it needs a power steering pump.
          It get's 19-20 unloaded, 15-16 towing the trailer, and about 10-12 with the cabover and trailer.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

A friend of mine hit a deer in Utah with his diesel last year and his rental was an Ecoboost. He said it had lots of power at sea level but was a total dog at altitude. Of course he also has a lead foot. That might just be his opinion. Lately the tow ratings on 1/2 ton trucks have been creeping up to 12K and sometimes more which is great for most but a loaded car trailer plus camping gear will get you there quick too.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

http://www.tfltruck.com/tfltruck-hall-ike-gauntlet/
              Kinda over kill on the tow test but still good to watch
              1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

Mark, I do like your setup with the cabover camper and trailer for the Bronco. I kick myself for not buying a buddy's 2006 dodge cummins 2500 - basically your truck, with less than 30k miles on it. He was pretty much having a fire sale and let that truck go so cheap. But that was years ago and we can't go back.

I can't get over my sticker shock with the prices of trucks, both half and 3/4 ton trucks, even used prices are high. I went for another ride last night in my friend's new GMC Duramax and man that's a nice truck. Apparently my first ride the seat was set higher hence the headroom issue.

Anyway, I am going to try to get my VW buyback paperwork filed soon, and will turn that car in hopefully within the next 1500 miles as its about due for service and the tires are starting to hate life.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

The used diesel pickup market is all messed up. Both times I've bought diesels, I bought new because it was only $10K more than a truck with 100,000 on it that had been beat to hell. Plus with all the tuners on the market, lots of people never tow but tune them until they kill their transmission the sell it.
                  SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

A friend came over the other night and showed his brand new Dodge 1/2 ton diesel, it was fully loaded and 76k out the door.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                      A friend came over the other night and showed his brand new Dodge 1/2 ton diesel, it was fully loaded and 76k out the door.
                      Holy crappola. My buddy's Denali HD duramax truck was less than that.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

With all this talk about trucks (the cost $$ and all), it makes me want to keep my 2002 F250, 7.3 on the road a loonnng time... 181K is nothing in Diesel years
                        Last edited by 904Bronco; 10-20-2016, 09:16 AM.
                        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                          I'm gonna say your buddy got screwed. I just looked at TrueCar for a Ram EcoDiesel with every option checked and it showed $56K. That's why negotiating is important!

Comment

I went out looking at trucks again today. My findings:

Tacoma - even with the crew cab it's just too small. With the seat adjusted for me, it's a 3-seater at best and if I am buying a crew cab, I want it to be more useful than my current 16 year old extended cab Chevy.
                            Tundra - Really nice truck. Problem: if you want the Crewmax cab, you are stuck with a 5.5' bed which I could see being too small, often. The Double Cab is nicer than my current Chevy (in that the rear doors open the right direction instead of the backwards doors I currently have), but like the Tacoma, with the driver's seat adjusted for me, nobody larger than my young nieces are going to be comfortable back there.

Dodge/Ram (or whatever they are calling themselves now). 2500 Cummins sure drives nice. It doesn't feel quite as snappy as my buddy's GMC but it definitely gets up and moves. Turbo lag is there but acceptable. The linked-coil spring suspension is pretty amazing for a truck that heavy. I'd put its ride quality nearly as comfortable as the GMC I mentioned above. Interior is every bit as nice, seat comfort is great. The local dealer has added a markup on top of MSRP such that the current end of year 10-20% discount comes off of a higher starting point than MSRP (and has removed the window stickers from all of their trucks which I find super obnoxious).

I spoke to the VW dealer to see if they had any word on when the buybacks will begin, they have nothing other than the same vague comments I have found on their buyback website.

So... none of this pricing nonsense means anything to me as I am not about to buy a 4th vehicle while I wait for the buyback...
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Toyotas, planning on getting a family soon to sit in the back? back seat here is for my pups
                              68 Slightly modified
                              67 LUBR once again
                              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
                                Toyotas, planning on getting a family soon to sit in the back? back seat here is for my pups
                                Haha who knows.
                                In 16 years of owning my Chevy, the extended cab has proven itself over and over again to be next to useless for passengers - ie... work lunches, ski trips with more than just one passenger, camping trips with more than just one passenger, etc. Nobody who has ever ridden back there for more than across town has been comfortable. It's okay for the dog, but the backwards opening door is something I'm definitely done with. Single cab trucks... no thanks. So again, if I am buying a crew cab, I want it to be more useful than my current extended cab. I see that much like I see the 5' beds on many trucks - close but no cigar. I am picky and I want to buy something that I will like.

Now if I could just find the keys to my Bronco I'd take it for a drive and forget about the truck topic for a few more days
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X