Off Topic - New Pickup Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Off Topic - New Pickup Trucks

I regularly have adult passengers in my back seat and the Ram Crew cab is plenty big enough for me to adjust the front seat for myself then hop in back and still have lots of leg room and I'm 6'2" tall.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post

Now if I could just find the keys to my Bronco I'd take it for a drive and forget about the truck topic for a few more days
      Did you look in the bronco, or the freezer.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
        Did you look in the bronco, or the freezer.
        Found them, drawer in the garage... Random.
        Now I need to find a locksmith who will cut a spare, as I can't find the spare either.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

dont buy this

http://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	613.9 KB
ID:	274326For reference, 6-2X10's and 44-2X4's in a 5.5' bed. When the tailgate is down it is 8' long for sheets of sheet rock or plywood. It's not great, but not as bad as you would think. I also have about 30,000 miles of the 127,000 towing my broncos around. Putting E rated tires on at 75psi makes a world of difference towing, and aired down to 35psi they don't ride bad. I got 80,000 out of my last set of michelins. It's also 11 years old, and the new half tons are only getting better.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I subscribe to the 3-vehicle model. The bronco, an older Diesel (2004 6.0 PSD, 260K miles) and a Crosstrek.
              1. The diesel is great for work, and tows like a freight train. It is nice to not have to pay for fuel and maintenance as a commuter, everything on that truck is expensive, a set of tires is $1000 and they don't last very long (20K on the last set), oil changes: $100. The high mileage isn't that big a deal in a diesel.
              2. The Crosstrek great in the snow and it gets 31.5 mpg, but it is small, and only has 150 hp, great commuter.
              3. The Bronco .... by far the most $$$/mile

My next truck won't be a 3/4 ton, the DMV weight fee sucks for a vehicle I rarely drive and I don't tow over 10K lbs.

What about a Tesla model 3, the p3D should have a 0-60 well less than 4 seconds, but you will have to wait a few years. Keep in mind the fuel economy standards are kicking in starting in 2017, and each year the fleet average is about 5% better, the longer you can wait the better the MPG will be.

With that in mind, since it is your money, my vote is for the Raptor all the way, good mix of useful and fun.
              Build thread

Comment

This has been a great thread with a lot of good, objective feedback and I appreciate all responses.

Pippin, I have given a lot of thought to a Tesla. A friend has a Model S and its an incredible car. They actually have a reasonable range for an electric car and are nice. Other electric vehicles I've looked at are not even in the same league. As it seems the VW buyback is not going to start as soon as I'd hoped, and even if it does I have 2 other vehicles to drive, time is on my side.

At this point, buying a truck as a daily driver is my preference mainly because my current truck is developing issues that I don't feel like dealing with. Most recently something's screwed up with the HVAC vent system. Getting a truck is priority because well... they are handy and I get a lot of use out of them.
                In a few years I'll probably look at getting another more economical car in addition to the truck but in the mean time I'd just deal with the increased costs of driving a truck every day.

I'll have to go look at a new raptor in person, the pictures I've seen of the 2017 raptors don't quite sell me. The SF auto show is coming up... I'll go spend a day there too.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

I have a 2012 that I've had since new. I get 23mpg on the highway in cruise control. My average mileage is 16.2 mph because my commute is only 9 miles and only about 3 on the freeway. It is a blast when you put your foot in it. It's much faster than my wife's sequoia. The only negative is that it has no compression to slow you on hills. Even in low range and 1st gear I look down and I'm turning 4,500 rpm and the truck isn't slowing down.

Comment

Not much of an update, but my smog cheater Passat buyback date is December 29.

Having shopped around a bit more, I seem to have landed back on Dodge/Ram at the moment. I drove both a 2500 cummins and a 1500 ecodiesel again on Sunday. My impression of the ecodiesel has improved quite a bit, my only reservation is that their towing and payload capacities are both lower than I'd like - they are closer to the true "half ton" of years past. My 16+ year old Chevy 1500 has a payload of 1800lbs and tow rating over 8k... its more like the 3/4 ton trucks of old.

I drove a 2017 super duty also - damn nice truck but man they are high - so much that I'd be concerned with parking garage clearance. The tailgate height is taller than my shoulder and I'm 6'3. Kinda ridiculous really. Like I said though, nice. The 6.7 powerstroke and aluminum body seems to be a nice combo!

Found a dealer in Caldwell, Idaho who sells Ram trucks for significantly less than anybody else in the US, handles the CA tax and DMV stuff right there. I may actually fly up there in January/February and return with a truck. I have family up there who I never get to see, plus I'd be spending thousands less... so seems like a win-win.

The 2500 cummins is admittedly overkill for my purposes but the 1500 is lighter than I'd like. There needs to be a truck somewhere in the middle...
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

If you want to drive it is about 11 hrs... I have friends in Caldwell too, too bad you cannot Reg the new truck there... They are in the only County in Idaho that has a 2 year smog inspection, so you would have to visit there more often
                      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                        If you want to drive it is about 11 hrs... I have friends in Caldwell too, too bad you cannot Reg the new truck there... They are in the only County in Idaho that has a 2 year smog inspection, so you would have to visit there more often
                        I have spent a lot of time in the Treasure Valley. My mom was born and raised in Marsing, we visited my grandmother in Nampa once or twice per year for my entire childhood and I have been back many times as an adult too, ski trips, etc. My parents lived there for about 5 years after they retired, before they came back to CA.

In short, I know the whole area very well and have driven there more times than I can count
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                          I have spent a lot of time in the Treasure Valley. My mom was born and raised in Marsing, we visited my grandmother in Nampa once or twice per year for my entire childhood and I have been back many times as an adult too, ski trips, etc. My parents lived there for about 5 years after they retired, before they came back to CA.

In short, I know the whole area very well and have driven there more times than I can count
                          I was thinking more of a joint road trip, if everything worked out for both parties. Call it plan "B" Tony
                          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                            I was thinking more of a joint road trip, if everything worked out for both parties. Call it plan "B" Tony
                            Might be an option!
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

It likely won't meet your payload and towing needs, but have you seen the 2017 Colorado ZR2 package? Selectable lockers, long travel suspension, lift, wider stance, off-road bumpers, and diesel motor option.
                              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
                                It likely won't meet your payload and towing needs, but have you seen the 2017 Colorado ZR2 package? Selectable lockers, long travel suspension, lift, wider stance, off-road bumpers, and diesel motor option.
                                Yes I have seen the advertisements for it, it does look pretty nice. I really want to like it more than I do, my biggest argument is the bed is so small in a compact truck. A guy at work has the Tacoma TRD Pro, pretty similar. He loves it but it is definitely still a compact truck - not as small as the old S-10 and Ranger trucks of the 90s but definitely not full size. I do like that more companies are offering trucks set up like that though.
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X