Seeking trailer rental recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking trailer rental recommendations

I am considering a trip up to the Northwest Bronco Roundup for something different next month. As much as I prefer 4-wheeling in small groups, the event has been on my list of things to do since it was called SOB way back when. And let's face it, if I don't start using my Bronco again soon (for anything beyond cruising around town and to work) it will probably get sold. Plus, I like to visit the Oregon coast anyway. I have a spot at a campground already if I want it (sharing with a friend who is going with or without me).

Anyway, back on topic - does anybody have any recommendations on car carrier trailer rentals? Most that I have found stipulate no out-of-state travel. I refuse to rent a trailer from U-Haul - I have been burned by that company too many times, and their car hauler would be borderline in handling the weight of my rig anyway. Not to mention their tire tie-downs are meant for normal car tires, not 37" tires.

I have considered buying a trailer but I really don't want to store it. I have the space, but I don't really want/need any more rolling stock sitting around idle most of the time - I have enough of that now anyway. lol. I may bite the bullet and buy one eventually but I'd rather rent a time or two before I commit to actually owning one.

Anyway... suggestions on where to rent from? Good/bad experiences?
    Thanks in advance!
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Seeking trailer rental recommendations

Come get mine. The price is right.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
      Come get mine. The price is right.
      Thanks Marc, I will let you know.
      That becomes a bit of a logistics issue for me based on distance - ie... I'll have to make a trip up to get the trailer, then turn around to get the bronco, and then do the same thing again in reverse on the other end of the trip. Perhaps I can drive my Bronco to my parents' house ahead of time, then get back to Livermore for my truck. Or find a driver for a second vehicle... I will figure this out!

For the price, I'll find a way. Now I just have to do some maneuvering of work supervisory responsibilities but that is the least of my concerns at this point.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Tony, you can borrow mine too it's rated at 10K with brakes on both axles, I just need to get the brakes serviced and it will be good to go.

Just called and scheduled a full maintenance for July 21st I will be using the trailer until July 30th then it should be available if you need it.
        Last edited by BRONKEN; 07-12-2017, 02:02 PM.
        69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
          Thanks Marc, I will let you know.
          That becomes a bit of a logistics issue for me based on distance - ie... I'll have to make a trip up to get the trailer, then turn around to get the bronco, and then do the same thing again in reverse on the other end of the trip. Perhaps I can drive my Bronco to my parents' house ahead of time, then get back to Livermore for my truck. Or find a driver for a second vehicle... I will figure this out!

For the price, I'll find a way. Now I just have to do some maneuvering of work supervisory responsibilities but that is the least of my concerns at this point.
          See you next month
          Jaromy

Comment

I know logistically I'm not exactly on your way to Oregon LOL, but you are welcome to use mine too. Mine is 10K lb. torsion axles with brakes. It even has a brand new shinny diamond plate deck. No more rotting wood!

Comment

Check with Mark?
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

You guys are awesome. All of you. Thanks for the offers, very much appreciated. I'll figure out my plans soon.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Tony... The wife and I are going to the Northwest Bronco Roundup. We are driving the Bronco. I've been meaning to start a threat about it. Now I'm going to.

Comment

I'd buy a U-Haul car hauler trailer if they'd sell me one. One of the best overall designs for that use that I've seen anywhere. They don't appear to ever sell those though.
                    Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

Originally posted by ntsqd View Post
                      I'd buy a U-Haul car hauler trailer if they'd sell me one. One of the best overall designs for that use that I've seen anywhere. They don't appear to ever sell those though.
                      I have towed a number of cars on those trailers over the years. I'm really not a fan of the surge brakes and I find the trailer to be a little small and light. The payload is a bit low too. If I buy a trailer it's going to be a flat bed such that it can be used to haul other heavy things around besides just cars.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Yeah, surge brakes. They work, but not a huge fan either. The Cummins didn't seem to care though, it just shoved it backwards anyway - tow'd in place or not. The one we rented was 8 lug tandems. Can't imagine its real capacity was all that low. U-Haul might say it is, but they'd be lying. I can see how a rig on 37's would be a problem with one, as would a full size anything.

Several friends over the years have had a range of flatbed trailers and I've not liked any of their decks. Some were steel decked and greased owl snot could take lessons on slipperiness when they were wet. Those with a wood deck were better though not great in the slippery when wet dept. All it took is an oil leak and whoosh too! At least in the leak area. One lived close enough to the coast that it had slime on/in the wood. Dry was fine, wet it may as well have been a steel deck. The U-Haul's use of a cousin to the WWII airfield matting for the tire tracks was very welcome. Maybe some of that boat deck traction additive to the paint used on a steel deck?

Not sure why most of the mfg's use C-Channel. Cost maybe? Results in a heavy trailer for the load capacity that isn't particularly stiff in torsion. The U-Haul is no different in this. I think that I'll end up building a box tube framed trailer if we decide not to flat tow the tow'd any more.

The U-Haul's tongue jack is worth copying. I've never seen a better, more robust design. I concluded long ago that there are two types of trailers, those with a bent tongue jack and those that are about to have a bent tongue jack. Don't think this is possible with the U-Haul design. You'll likely lift the drivers off the ground first.

And none of this helps with your original request.
                        Cross-threaded is tighter than lock-tite

Comment

U-Haul trailers all seem to have the axles too far forward to keep you from going faster than 45mph. Faster and they fishtail badly.
                          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                          X