Exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust question

I am trying to run dual exhaust and out the back. I took it to the exhaust shop and they wanted to charge me a fortune so I brought it back home. They also mentioned they didn't like my idea of having the exhaust next to the tank. What are your thoughts about having the exhaust in that confined space next to the tank? I built a heat shield with DEI heat shielding. The heat shield is 1/4" from the tank and the pipe will be about 1/2" ( Maybe 1" if I get creative) from that. The pipe will sit 1/8" off the frame and have 1/4" to the top of the body. I know the floor will get hot but I am concerned about the safety. I built a lot of stuff around this exhaust idea I had and want to see it through. I think it should work fine but driving so slow for long periods of time with no wind to blow the heat out concerns me. What are your thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	288768Click image for larger version

Name:	20170801_175837.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	288769Click image for larger version

Name:	20170102_222534.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	288770
    Last edited by Rockbronco67; 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM.

Re: Exhaust question

If you are asking for an honest opinion... We all want things to work, especially if you put effort into their design... But

You do not have enough clearance, I see heating the tank and vapor lock... imagine mud and dirt getting into those limited clearances... then you will have a direct transfer of heat.
    You need more space/clearance...

The exhaust shop does not want to accept the Liability of a fire or injury. Sorry for my negative reply.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Don't be sorry. Its one of those things you know its not going to work but you really want it to. So I will have to redesign and see what I come up with. Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

Would the exhaust also heat up your struts if it's that close?
        What size exhaust tubing? I wonder if you could do a double wall exhaust, ie put the exhaust tubing inside a larger diameter tube for shielding. Maybe stuff the space between with fiberglass.

Comment

Only solution is stacks....haha
          Is the space the same on both sides of the tank....I assume.
          All the cool kids run single out. I'm going to guess you built rear up travel tight to the tank too. Rear dump out the side sucks and down dumps before the axle suck.
          How much power you running....maybe downsize the piping?
          70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Fenderwell headers with open collectors like a bouncer!
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by bent70 View Post
              Only solution is stacks....haha
              Is the space the same on both sides of the tank....I assume.
              All the cool kids run single out. I'm going to guess you built rear up travel tight to the tank too. Rear dump out the side sucks and down dumps before the axle suck.
              How much power you running....maybe downsize the piping?
              I had my last one dump out the side by the B pillar but it sucks when you turn and the wind blows it all in. I wanted to do something different but I think I might dump before the tank pointed at the axle but not straight down so I don't blow dust. Sucks but it will get me going. I can't get myself to down size in pipe. I have pipe size complex. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                Fenderwell headers with open collectors like a bouncer!
                I might just go straight up through the hood

Comment

I get it..haha
                  Mine dumps out basically into my axle 45ed towerd my wheel. It doesn't kick up dust and I made a heat shield for my plastic brake line. Fumes arnt bad if you aren't sitting for 5 min
                  70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

My exhaust is about 1" from the floor and it gets hot enough to melt a tool kit made with plastic case. But I know the spot now so I don't pack things in that spot that can burn. If it was a big deal I would just make a heat shield. A heat shield is awesome and they work so if you can incorporate one in with a 1/2" gap on both sides it will be great. Good call not having a shop do the exhaust because you can make something you want and not compromise.

Comment

The self adhesive aluminum DEI heat shield stuff works great! My Y-pipe touches my heat shield in one spot where it is mounted to the floor. No heat on the floorboard felt by your hand even after running hard all day. I believe it's rated for 1200 Degrees.
                      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                      X