Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim size & tires pls help!

We are building the 1968 Gaudin Ford Bronco

would like to use our old hub caps (we like the stock look) but 6" wide tires is not enough tread on the road.

Heard that 15 x 8 rim can accommodate old hub cap. (and give us larger tire)

Are there any larger rims that will take the original hub caps?

What is the back spacing needed for a 15x8 ?

Thank you for your help, Sheryl
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Batgirl89; 10-19-2017, 08:14 PM.

Re: Rim size & tires pls help!

For an uncut you will need at least 4" of BS, more would help clear the rear fenders, unless you roll them. A 33 x 10.5 will just fit, but you might have trim the rear quarters or move the axle back 1".
    What size tire are you trying to fit?
    Running more than 4", will sometimes create issues on the front axle, clearing the steering knuckles where the tie rods attach. (More so with 76-77 D44)
    I have run these wheels: https://www.wheelvintiques.com/o-e-c...re-finish.html with sucess. Not positive if those style hub caps will fit?
    I ordered one rim from Summit to test fit everything... Once I confirmed, I ordered the other 4 and had them painted. Here are some test fit pictures... 77 Rear housing and 74 front D44 housing with GM front disc brake conversion

Here is what a 33 looks like... with 3.5 rear springs and 2.5 front

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2036.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	275011Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2033.jpg
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	275009Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2034.jpg
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	275010
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 904Bronco; 10-20-2017, 06:05 AM.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
      For an uncut you will need at least 4" of BS, more would help clear the rear fenders, unless you roll them. A 33 x 10.5 will just fit, but you might have trim the rear quarters or move the axle back 1".
      What size tire are you trying to fit?
      Running more than 4", will sometimes create issues on the front axle, clearing the steering knuckles where the tie rods attach. (More so with 76-77 D44)
      I have run these wheels: https://www.wheelvintiques.com/o-e-c...re-finish.html with sucess. Not positive if those style hub caps will fit?
      I ordered one rim from Summit to test fit everything... Once I confirmed, I ordered the other 4 and had them painted. Here are some test fit pictures... 77 Rear housing and 74 front D44 housing with GM front disc brake conversion

Here is what a 33 looks like... with 3.5 rear springs and 2.5 front

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31816[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31814[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31815[/ATTACH]
      Doug, Thank you for all your help! the pictures are great, what a tight fit. We have 2.5 suspension lift, 2" body life, 77 D44, 77 9" rear.

Would like to get 33 x 10.5, on the 15x8 rim (like you have, we called them today and the hub cap spacing is 14.5 to 14 5/8, so the bronco hub cap should work)
      So we are going to do the same as you, what tires do you have? (I cant make out the letters on the side wall) and do you like them? ( we like the look of them)

Comment

They are BFG's All Terrains. The rims are 7" wide.

These are my rollers, they are 20 years old... And they have caused Death wobble if you get them up over 50 mph.

Since they are are my rollers, if you wanted to borrow them for test fitting, I am sure we could arrange something... I live on the edge of Morgan Hill / San Martin.

Doug
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
          They are BFG's All Terrains. The rims are 7" wide.

These are my rollers, they are 20 years old... And they have caused Death wobble if you get them up over 50 mph.

Since they are are my rollers, if you wanted to borrow them for test fitting, I am sure we could arrange something... I live on the edge of Morgan Hill / San Martin.

Doug
          Thank you. Ill will keep you posted. Sheryl

Comment

Working...
          X