rewiring $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rewiring $$$

I'm looking to see what the going rate is for a complete rewire job. I would rather run a grinder all day than deal with wiring. I know there are a lot of variables. Maybe through out what you had done and I can compare it with what I have in mine. A few things I have going on. 91' 5.0 previous owner swapped in. Everything works ok just seems like a ton of under hood wiring that could be cleaned up. Under the dash is a complete mess, looks like some one shoved of 10 lbs spaghetti up in there. Its something I know I can do. It is just something I'm thinking mite be better left to someone who dose it for a living.

Re: rewiring $$$

My rig was a similar mess with about 50+ wire nuts under to dash not to mention everywhere else. I did mine with a Centech harness and the when I upgraded to EFI, I used the RJM EFI harness. It took me a little while to do, but it wasn't horrible and A LOT cheaper than paying someone and I wasn't waiting on someone else's schedule. Get the right tools and terminations (I went all Weatherpak because I sucked at soldering). Lay it all out, make a plan and go...not too difficult.

my $0.02
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

So a Centech harness can be done in 3-4 days, depending if you are modifying it... I have done three of them. And I have modified each of them.

I only use factory stuff, except for their headlight switch. Supposedly the new gen harness is a little cleaner, using all Ford stuff.
      Then there are the little differences through the years, like marker lights or not, dash lights or not, Grommet hole size or the lack of a hole, and fuse block location...

A Painless, Autowire, Ron Francis, are more custom requiring more time, and supplies like loom, tape, ties which is included with Centech.

Your EFI harness should be easy to incorporate if it was done cleanly?

You can go hourly or a set price to do it. Shop rates these days in the Bay area are probably at least $100 an hour now? Best to to go with an overall price.
      Be sure to communicate well with the Installer on what you want. It is hard to go back in and make changes once the loom/tape/zip ties are on.
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Man Sean u got me all fired up to do it my self. Biggest worries are tying the harness into the 5.0 stuff. Not rocket science I guess. Ill have to look into it a little closer after Christmas and everyone quits tryin to kill me with all these brown boxes..

Comment

mike, what engine harness do you have? I ran a 12 circuit painless for mine, with an RJM efi harness. Its pretty straight forward, and should be well labeled on the harness. Its a PITA, but be patient. Plan for a weekend.

Comment

Damon, I have no idea what the previous owner used. Kinda sucks because everything works as is. But if shit go's down in the middle of nowhere I wouldn't know were to start diagnosing. There r 3 different fuse panels. Previous 15 owners have never just started from scratch, guess that's up to me. So this is pretty much for my piece of mind.

Comment

Wiring a Bronco is not difficult as has been stated above. Your EFI harness is basically stand-alone with just a few connections to make to the main harness.
              All of the harnesses have their pluses and minuses; the Centech is probably the closest to plug and play, however the fuse panel is a pretty poor design - it is fuse holders soldered to a circuit board. Granted many people have been running that setup for many years without issue, I just don't like knowing that one failure could take down the whole system. In an ideal world the fuse would blow before any real damage would happen to the circuit board; it just seems like an easy single point of failure.

I would bet anybody willing to install the harness for you would charge a fortune, and then you are dealing with someone else's work yet again. I went the ultra cheap route and bought a generic harness off of ebay, added all of my own weatherpack connectors, etc. To do it again I'd probably buy a painless harness because that uses a common GM style fuse panel and better wire than what I have.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by rockslut View Post
                Damon, I have no idea what the previous owner used. Kinda sucks because everything works as is. But if shit go's down in the middle of nowhere I wouldn't know were to start diagnosing. There r 3 different fuse panels. Previous 15 owners have never just started from scratch, guess that's up to me. So this is pretty much for my piece of mind.
                You should do it your self as mentioned so you know exactly which wire does what in case of trail repair.

Comment

Anyone can do wiring, it takes time and you may have to asked questions... Which many of us will gladly answer.
                  2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                  1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                  2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

If you're lucky the PO used an RJM/Ron Francis EFI harness. In which case the Centech harness is basically a plug-n-play affair. As long as they did not cut off the interface plug to make it work with some other concoction you might have a good quick and easy time of it.
                    Even if none of that holds true, you really only need constant 12v, switched 12v, ground and start signal for the EFI harness to know what is expected of it.

Paul
                    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I have a friend in Belmont that will rewire your Bronco for approximately $1500.00 plus materials. He is a professional mechanic and helped me rewire my 1965 Mustang. Lots of new relays and Like Doug said a bit of customization to make it really clean and functional.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's 2 cents. I'm going to tear into it one of these days after my Christmas rush. Ill prob pull everything apart to see what I'm up agents. Then order accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                        X