Off Topic: Barn Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic: Barn Build

I wanted to start a thread on my backyard barn.
    As with all home projects, It all started when I was at Home depot buying something. The local store has about 10 different sheds in every shape, color and size on display in the parking lot. I must have spent an hour looking at the different models and how they are framed and built. I wasnt very impressed, but these things are meant to make money and come in a kit to be assembled in a couple hours. They would probably last a lifetime if they were taken care of.
    I decided to go online and start messing around with the different models, features, paint, accessories, etc. I decided on the Barn style because of the loft storage. I could use it for Christmas decorations, Halloween stuff, basically anything I could put in a rubbermaid tote, that way its not in the garage taking up valuable bronco space. Once I was all done the price came to 5k and I knew I could make it for less than that.

Being in a city I needed to keep it under 120sq/ft and less than 15ft tall per city code without permitting the build.
    Attached Files
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Re: Off Topic: Barn Build

Here's the area I am working with. Its the corner of my lot at the end of the RV access. The power pole is in my neighbors yard and the down guy is in my yard next to the fence. After a lot of eyeballing and measurements, I came to the conclusion that I could fit a 10x12 barn.

I decided to go with a skid foundation over a concrete slab. It was the simplest way to start my project.

I started by leveling the ground with pavers. This part took me the better part of a day because I wanted it perfect. I realized that after a couple hours of trying to get three rows exactly level with each other was a pain. But I wanted to keep this thing as low to the ground As I could by spanning the beams with 2x6's instead of 2x8's.
    I used three 12' long 4x6 pressure treated beams for the skids.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 71BRONCO71; 12-24-2017, 10:10 AM.
    {o===o}
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Ryan,

It looks good... Always better to build it yourself, like a Bronco it will be custom.

I have a Tuff shed in my yard, it is 22 years old now. It has some wear and tear, but holding up well. It is 10x14 and I should have gone bigger.

Be sure you check your City's requirement for set back from the property line.
      If any of your neighbors or future neighbors turn into assh*ts they can call the City and make trouble for you if the set back requirement is not meet.

Merry Christmas!

Doug
      Last edited by 904Bronco; 12-24-2017, 11:24 AM.
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
        I have a Tuff shed in my yard, it is 22 years old now. It has some wear and tear, but holding up well. It is 10x14 and I should have gone bigger.
        I really wish I could have gone 12x14, but that would need to be "permitted"
        And as easy as it would be to just buy the shed done, I couldnt do it at 5k.
        {o===o}

Comment

Next up was the flooring. After squaring this frame up with some ratchet straps, I nailed it to the beams.
          For the floor, I used OSB tongue and groove sub-floor. I havent decided on whether or not to paint it with a durable flooring paint or lay down some used wood flooring.

I ditched ordinary phillip head screws in favor of ones that use a star head. They drive in so much nicer than regular screws.
          https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rit...BL67/204172244

I forgot to snap a picture of how I made the gambrels for the barn roof. I searched the internet for lengths, angles and height for gambles and came up with 30.5* and 14.5*. I made the upper part of the roof 4' so I could just screw a 4'x8' sheet on top. I screwed some scrap 2x4's to the floor in the shape of the gambrel to make a jig. It took a full sheet of 7/16 osb to cut all the gussets for the gambrels.
          Attached Files
          {o===o}

Comment

Ha...I just threw mine away. Moved and had no space, wasn't barn style, but 10x12 13' tall
            70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Up Next was the walls. I am in no way a framer and I learned that very quick. Trial and error.
              I decided on cutting all the studs to 7', That way the bottom of the loft will be roughly at 6.5'.
              For the door, I originally was going to do two doors that swing out, But came up with an awesome idea for a real sliding double barn door. So I framed out the door opening to a 5ft opening.
              Everything was built on the floor then stood up after and nailed together.
              Attached Files
              {o===o}

Comment

I don't own a framing nail gun so I was driving all these nails by hand. (I got pretty fawking good with a hammer)
                I tried to nail the gambrels by myself and had zero luck keeping it square or even securing it to the top plate of the side walls. I Tried hurricane straps from home depot and those dint work at all. After the 4th or 5th time of almost falling off the ladder and killing myself, I came up with an idea of using a Kreg Jig I use for other wood projects. It drills small pocket holes to use shouldered wood screws. Once I got the first one in place, the rest followed. I dont think a hurricane could rip this roof off now. The screws lock the wood together.

Kreg Jig
                https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kreg-K4-...-K4H/202074960

Then I added 10ft 2x6's from wall to wall. I drove 3" screws into the loft floor joist and into the wall studs. I may or may not add a jack stud under the loft joists for more support. I am not going to put much weight up there. (I hope.)

The rear loft is 48" deep and the front is 32" deep.
                Attached Files
                {o===o}

Comment

I see you will have a side job as the Official shed builder for Norcal!

Nice Ryan...

Comment

Nice work. I want to put a shed in my side yard but need to clear about a yard of dirt first. : After pricing out wood and composite sheds, I'm tempted to build my own too.

Comment

Good job Ryan. I recently finished a SHE shed for my wife. Nail guns are your friend!
                      67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                      69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                      69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                      79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                      67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Looks great Ryan how much do think it will end up costing you compared to the 5K at homie.
                        69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Next time call bud, I got all the cool tools. Great job
                          68 Slightly modified
                          67 LUBR once again
                          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Do they come with a 1st aide kit too Rick?

I only say that because the last time I loaned out my finish nailer, somebody managed to punch into a 1/2 copper pipe! In the process, he cut his hand open too!
                            Last edited by 904Bronco; 12-27-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

More Importent Rick.......Do the tools include labor....LOL.
                              Jack
                              73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Working...
                              X