It Finally happened...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Finally happened...

Well my 96 Saleen that my youngest son has been driving to High school has died... It blew a head gasket between 3 and 4 cylinders and is burning coolant, which smoked the O2 sensors on that side.

"He's Dead Jim". "Another red shirt gets beamed down to the planet and you know he is not coming back". (He did get it)

129K of hard miles by previous owners has taken its toll. We only put 8K on it, but there were a lot of fixes done during that time. And he learned to drive a stick in it.

It is hard to explain to your Son that it is just not worth fixing any more, that once we go into the motor you never know what your going to find or how much you will need to replace either in it or what bolts to it. That and the paint is peeling off in a couple locations as well. (And... I am not a fan of the 1st generation 4.6 motor, The best way to do this is to drop the K-member with everything attached)

So starts the hunt for a replacement Mustang... Anybody else go through this with their kids? (I get it, it is his identity... The only 96 Saleen in the area and everyone knows you by your car)
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Re: It Finally happened...

Ah man, that sucks Doug. You are right though, at that age a guys car is his identity. Especially such a unique car that stands out. He'll get over it though once you find another one for him though. So what's the plan for this one?

Comment

That really does suck!
      You are right though, even with it being a unique car its not worth putting big money into. And you could get into that really deep, really fast. A car of that age though even a junkyard engine is going to have a lot of miles on it and would be a lot of work for a maybe.

Perhaps you could build another track monster out of it? lol
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I am not sure what we will do with it yet... If we find another same vintage mustang 94-04, we could transfer some parts over and then sell (Mechanic's special) or donate the 96.

I have already talked to the Insurance folks about the next car... As long as we stay in this vintage of Mustang the Price doesn't go up. Newer and other cars, well it goes up...just depends on the car and it's age.

Tony, I think one track car in the house is good for now.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post

Tony, I think one track car in the house is good for now.
          Haha I am sure. You are a car guy through and through though... So I had to toss it out there.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Looked at this today...

2001 Blue Bullit Mustang, 127K, no accidents, non-smoker... needs headlight lens replaced and has an inspection scheduled this week to see what we can't see on the surface...

Factory Radio Doesn't have a Aux to plug in his phone for music, but he will survive if it works out

Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 Bullit Mustang.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	276181

Comment

That might be a nice one!

Comment

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts...844449442.html

Here’s a possible donor engine.
                We're here for a good time, not a long time!

Comment

I appreciate the Post Muddy... But I am just sort of done with the Saleen and don't want to swap a motor...

I did something similar, cleaning this car up and making it safe, rebuilding this and that, servicing what needed done, new carpet kit... but I just don't have any desire to work on it any more...

Doug

Comment

I totally get it.
                    We're here for a good time, not a long time!

Comment

I kind of get it too... But all this from a guy that literally brings 50-year old vehicles back from the dead, through thick and thin and trial and tribulation!
                      Sounded kind of strange to me then, to hear you say all of that. Yeah, it's all 100% logical, but rings hollow. You're supposed to say "show my son how an old POS can be upgraded and brought into the new millenium" or some words to that effect.

Or just buy him a newer Bullitt and be done with it I suppose...
                      Holy cow, it's already 18 years old! Man, time she sure does fly.

Good luck. Now I wonder if he'll resist the new one the same way he did the old one. If'n I'm remembering correctly, even a Saleen was "aw dad..." in the beginning. Wasn't it?

Hope it all works out.

Paul
                      Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                      www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                      68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDonk View Post
                        I kind of get it too... But all this from a guy that literally brings 50-year old vehicles back from the dead, through thick and thin and trial and tribulation!
                        Sounded kind of strange to me then, to hear you say all of that. Yeah, it's all 100% logical, but rings hollow. You're supposed to say "show my son how an old POS can be upgraded and brought into the new millenium" or some words to that effect.

Or just buy him a newer Bullitt and be done with it I suppose...
                        Holy cow, it's already 18 years old! Man, time she sure does fly.

Good luck. Now I wonder if he'll resist the new one the same way he did the old one. If'n I'm remembering correctly, even a Saleen was "aw dad..." in the beginning. Wasn't it?

Hope it all works out.

Paul
                        So I am sure this story will continue in some way...

We negotiated the price down on the Bullit Mustang to $$$$ basically the price of a rebuilt 4.6 motor. We get a car that is 5 years newer, 1k less miles and paint that is intact and not peeling. The vehicle inspection came back with very Minor stuff: change fluids, flush cooling system, a good detail, clean the engine compartment, and a get an alignment.

Mainly I don't have to drop the motor and have it apart for a few weeks. My son can do all the things that need to be done with Dad's help and none of them have to be done before he can drive it.
                        It has to last two more years if he takes care of it, if he doesn't then he can ride the bus!

There is some interest in the Saleen by others who want to work on it, we will see how that goes...

Paul, if the Saleen had a 5.0 in it I would not part with it. I can work on that stuff all day. 4.6L. I am just not a fan of it...

Comment

Working...
                        X