Old license plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old license plates

Has anyone gone thru the trouble to swap out the new white plates with black or blue original plates? I have original black plates. Been researching Dmv and came up with yom (year of make) program thru Dmv. Apparently you can have the plates assigned to your vehicle. I printed off the form and as soon as I have time to waste, I’ll go hang out there all day. My uncle gave me the plates.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	99E901F1-01B3-41F3-B4B3-C68F6D394417.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	289157

Re: Old license plates

I just did this on my 1940 Ford pick up. When I first registered it, I got the white CA plates. Then I went on the DMV website and ordered the black and yellow plates. It was real easy to do. They send the new black and yellow plates to you local DMV office and they notify you once they are in. Then I just made an appointment to go in and pick them up. While I was there they assigned the new plates to my truck. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by onpier55 View Post
      Has anyone gone thru the trouble to swap out the new white plates with black or blue original plates? I have original black plates. Been researching Dmv and came up with yom (year of make) program thru Dmv. Apparently you can have the plates assigned to your vehicle. I printed off the form and as soon as I have time to waste, I’ll go hang out there all day. My uncle gave me the plates.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]33566[/ATTACH]
      I did some research on it... Even went to the Goodguys event and found a guy who restores the old plates or has or will look for yom plates. I think that the important thing is the plates have to be out of the system, not assigned to anything.
      I did what Patrick did for the 71 Lubr, it was a long wait as the "old" plates were newly coming out and there was a demand. Plus there is an added premium for the privilege of having them...
      I hate giving the DMV anymore money than I have to...
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

From what I read. It’s a $45 application fee. And an extra $10 a yr fee. Less than personalized plates. Are the new black plates considered personalized and you have to pay extra every year for the “privilege “ to use them?

Comment

Looks like $40 a yr to have the new Legacy (60’s black new) plates.

Name:	6F14BDEB-6DC3-49F5-A4C8-6904A176C7C5.jpg
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	276183

Name:	34101858-CEF3-404C-9FA5-3A85E721F05A.jpg
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	276184

Name:	73E2D1D7-D65F-4A17-B61B-30153934F6BA.jpg
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	276185

Comment

I believe you pay a premium to have them in the 1st place and it is more if personalized...
            2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
            1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
            2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by onpier55 View Post
              From what I read. It’s a $45 application fee. And an extra $10 a yr fee. Less than personalized plates. Are the new black plates considered personalized and you have to pay extra every year for the “privilege “ to use them?
              Doug is correct. The black plates you have must be out of the system in order for you to use them. You or your registration services guy can call the DMV and find out. What Patrick is talking about is not YOM and I believe they are considered personalized.

The new black plates do not look the same as the old black plates. I hate the look of the new ones. Also everybody is putting them on new vehicles also, looks phony to me.

Comment

Sorry. Screenshot turned out kind of blurry.

Comment

For the YOM plates to be issued they have to be correct for the year of your car AND have the sticker on them of your actual car year.

Comment

I tried this years ago with my '71. Found a guy on craigslist that had matching blue/yellow plates that were out of circulation. Took thhem to DMV and they said I can't get them registered to my car - no way, no how, cant be done. I still have them sitting in my garage.
                    The balck/yellow ones are just the new ones that everyone has now.
                    The ones on my truck now are the older white and dark blue with raise letters and no design. It just so happens that if the paint was media blasted off and repainted 70's blue and yellow they would look original. Took them to a couple places and they wouldnt touch them. Said they could get in trouble. Anyone know a skilled airbrusher or pinstriper that would be willing? This really shouldint be so difficult.

Comment

Working...
                    X