Rumors, You Just Gotta Laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors, You Just Gotta Laugh

Buying this new F450 truck was an interesting and enlightening process for me. Now I for one learned a long time ago that Car salesman and what they have to say needs to be taking with a grain of salt-- or two! The first Ford salesman I spoke with here in Sunnyvale was a turd and had the salesman ability of a Manure Hauler on a Pigmy Goat Ranch. But he was full of rumors about the Dodge Cummins and the Chevrolet Duramax all bad by the way.
    I then ended up buying this truck from Corning Ford and this salesman while a really nice guy, was also just full of rumors about any and all diesel trucks other than the Ford. This rumor talk got me to thinking some and I did a little research into this "RUMOR" topic on my own. I went to 5 different Ford dealers here locally, Two Dodge dealers and two Chevy dealers. As far as they were concerned I was there to buy "THERE" brand of pickup, but was also looking at the other two.

Man did the rumors fly. Here are a few of those. The Dodge Cummins, these rumors came from both Ford Dealers and Chevrolet Dealers:

Man those are just 6 cylinders and have no power at all compared to my brand.

The Cummins is an OK motor but the Dodge truck is lame and the body's are just falling apart in a couple of years.

Dodge has a serious problem with there rear ends and "MOST" of them are failing and will need to be replaced in just a couple of months.

Dodge has a serious problem with there transmissions and are replacing at least 40% under warranty.

Dodge is voiding almost all of there warranty's on there Cummins.
    These examples are just a few that I heard on more than one occasion and from more than one dealer.

Chevrolet:
    The Duramax has aluminum heads and they are almost all failing very quickly.

Chevrolet is having a serious transmission problem with there Allison, and several have shifted from Drive into Reverse while at highway speed. Man can you say hair, eyes and teeth all over the windshield?

One salesman at a dealership here in town even told me with a straight face that he knew of Six (6) Chevrolet's that lost there pickup beds while on the road. Six of the damn things-- Not one or maybe even two BUT SIX and not a word about this anywhere else. Somehow I think that SIX Chevy pickup beds flying down the road are going to make the news somewhere!!

And Then Ford:

Fords new 6.4 engine is much worse than the 6.0 ever was.

Of the 2008 Super Duty's in service now more than 20 have just burst into flames and burned to the ground.

Over 60% of all of the "Injectors" on the new diesel have failed, and Ford is refusing to replace them.

Ford is voiding all of there warranty's on the 6.4 Diesel now in service and pulling the Motor from the production line. I heard this twice from two different sources.

Ford uses inferior bearings and is having a huge recall for this problem.

Ford has over a dozen suits because of there new rear tailgate step, failing ad hurting people so bad the have to be hospitalized.
    You simple gotts laugh at all of this crap. All of these salesman and saleswomen are willing to say just about anything to sell there damn stuff. I also did a little research into some of these "RUMORS" I talked directly to a Ford representative at there Corporate Office and he addressed the 6.4 Problem. Intersting enough this Ford guy called me back or returned my call in 15 minutes. Chevrolet never did return my call, and Dodge I actually know about these and almost all of the Rumors about the Cummins I have heard before and I can address them from experience's of my own.
    The Ford first. There are as of yesterday (Monday) 9,251 Ford Super Duty's with the 6.4 engine in service. Ford has built as of the same time yesterday 41,687 6.4 Power Stroke engines. That is there engine builder has and has delivered that number to Ford. Of the 9,251 in service there has been a recall for the exhaust system heating problem and the resulting (POSSIBLE) fire danger. All of the remaining engines will come with the fix in place. This turned out to be a problem with the Smog equipment and nothing to do with the engine itself.
    Ford is using a brand new type of Fuel Injector in there 6.4 and as a matter of fact this new Injector is 85% responsible for the quietness of there new motor. Ford records show that under warranty Ford has replaced 24 of these Injectors, that is 24 out of a possible 74,008 Injectors in service in those 9,251 6.4's. Ford is not aware of any Super Duty's burning to the ground.Ford has not refused to replace anything and they have not voided any warranty on anything and according to Ford "Never Would"
    The Dodge thing is really pretty simple. The Cummins is a great Engine not a good engine but a great engine. It has a proven service record and it will continue to be so. Of the few hundred folks I shoot Silhouette with most own Dodges with Cummins. I have personally had 5 of them and now while I do not have a Cummins Dodge any longer I do still own a Dodge Ram Hemi pickup. I have NEVER EVER heard of a single rear end failure in any Dodge pickup 1/2 ton-- 3/4 ton or 1 ton. These "RUMORS" are just simple laughable. And are being done bu "ALL" of the big three.

My new F450 is supposed to get in on the 9th of this month, I just hated to see that old 1 ton Dodge go. But after seeing and driving the new F450 King Ranch it is not only a beautiful truck but it should be a hoss as well. And the Ford Representative assured me ( and I believe the cat as well) THAT Ford IS ABSOLUTLY willing to fix any problem that may arise if they do. I certainly don't expect any.
    Gunny
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide in broadside, worn out and throughly used up shouting "WOW" what a ride.

Hey if it works it works. It's been hit or miss for my friends w/ 6.0's... There are a couple that never get to leave the shop for more than a test drive. 1 has really random problems, and 2 of them had some egr and intercooler problems but after a couple days of BS they have rolled down the road for years w/ no issues whatsoever. Ahhh then there's the old 7.3.... arguably they never should have changed it. The trans sucks in stock form in there... but can be made very good.

The duramax is more ellusive to me. The 1st one I had experience w/ smoked a few injectors at 100k. (1st gen) Another buddy's (lb7?) was completely bombed, on 37's and 24" wheels, and never towed less than 10k lbs. He had injector go bad and while driving to civilization the motor grenaded. After much BS chevy put a new motor in it for free. Seems like there are a lot on the road doing very well. The trans is rad in them.

Dodge? yea my auto trans sux. Some people's 6 speeds loose a nut and then bust a nut all over the road. I have an ellusive vibe in the dash/firewall that I'll tend to when I put a bling trans in it. Never had so much as a hiccup out of the motor. I have 7 friends w/ them. No 'issues' even in the trans... it just sux and slips the t/c when you have an extra 150 hp
    I'm around 100k so far.

Yea... saw a video of an 6.4 blowing fire when the injectors were messed up. heard the EGT's get real hot. Hopefully it is all resolved.
    84/55 renegade, ton's, body stretch.. 400hp atlas. burnouts and such.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rancho...a=4&ajaxpipe=1

SFS Industries (aka silly fab) for all your fabrication and parts needs

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

The new shop is at 2225 cemo circle 95670

Comment

Did you guys here the one about Chevy? Apparently the thrust bearing in the muffler would work loose and clog up the fuel pump resulting in spontaneous combustion in the front right wheel. Glad I bought a Bronco.
      67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
      69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
      69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
      79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
      67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

And here I sit, knowing that I want to keep my future tow rig, under KISS theory, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID, sticking to shitty MPG but reliable drivetrain, so stickin to a 460, thanks, and gonna keep in mind to make my purchase of a trailer, as well camper, as light realistically.

Maybe change one day, if I ever came into some serious growth in lifestyle budget that I would get a diesel but even then I will only stick to a 8-9' slide in camper.

These are my thoughts and mine only!

Comment

I love hearing all the rumors. Here are my experiences:

I personally have had a 7.3 that had very few problems and it is now being used as a ranch truck at my dad's ranch hauling stock trailers. It has 140,000 miles on it. The torque converter was recalled by Ford twice (always worked) and then the tranny went at 130,000 no real surprise for an auto of that age being used to tow heavy constantly, the crank trigger had to be replaced once too (minor.)
          I replaced this with a 6.0 that went in to the shop three days after buying it, and was in and out of the dealer for the next 7 months. First the tranny went, then the turbo actually went up in flames twice (no kidding.) In the first seven months I was only able to drive this truck about 2,200 miles (I typically drive 35-40,000 miles a year) while this truck had problems from the start the idiot mechanics at my Ford dealer made things much worse. Ford was willing to back all the problems but if they don't have service techs that know how to diagnose a problem then it doesn't do any good. They just started replacing parts and nothing made it work. In the end it cost me $3800 in attorney fees to get 85% of my money back on the purchase.
          After this I couldn't bring myself to buy another one, so I now have a Duramax, that I now have put 78,000 miles on. As far as the drivetrain goes the problems I have had are a broken connector to a fuel injector (replaced after warranty even though it was not in the warranty) and the intercooler hoses had to be resealed also covered. It dose run a little on the hot side during heavy towing and GM has changed some parts to help remedy this on mine. I have the LLY (2004.5-2005 years.) The newer LBZ motors (2006 plus don't have these issues.)
          The rest of the truck has held up well with the exception of having to replace both front wheel bearings at different times. I am really happy with this truck and it has a lot more pulling power than the old 7.3 and the 6.0. I also think the seats are much more comfortable.
          As for Dodge I have not had the opportunity to own one, but if I did I would likely opt for a manual trans unless they come out with a 5 or 6 speed auto. As far as power they will out tow and out run any 7.3 or 6.0 and are just about equal with the current Duramax's. I used to have a guy working for me who had a 2006 and we towed all my same trailers with it just to see how it compared.
          Keep in mind I work my trucks hard they tow trailers up to and sometimes a little over 16,000lbs. I tow them in the hills including the 10 mile 7% + grade (HWY 168 4 lanes) to my house regualarly, even in temperatures over 100° .
          I won't tell you what to buy unless one of the big three starts writing me checks. I will say that finding a good service dealer to help you get things working right when they go wrong (they all will have problems at some point ) will make all the difference.
          If you want to find out all the issues these trucks have I would suggest looking at some of the diesel forums. I have found a great deal of good information on my Duramax at http://dieselplace.com. If you want to know whats wrong with the Duramax's this is a good resource. This sight has a few diesel fanatics who are GM service techs who have clued me in to TSB (technical service bulletins) that I print out and take to the dealer and show them here is the problem and GM will pay to do this to fix it, saves a lot of headaches. There are also lots of great insight on good and bad aftermarket mods some of these guys are into there diesels as much as us Bronco nuts.
          I am sure there are very similar forums for Dodge and Ford diesels (I have not researched them.) When I buy my next truck I will definitely find some good forums on all three to do my research. Although my next heavy tow rig will likely be a Freightliner or an International (something in the class 6-7 range) so I can increase my towing capacity. For day to day driving I would rather not drive a big truck (3/4 ton or bigger) around if I'm not hauling anything I prefer to drive my 1/2 ton.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler
            Did you guys here the one about Chevy? Apparently the thrust bearing in the muffler would work loose and clog up the fuel pump resulting in spontaneous combustion in the front right wheel. Glad I bought a Bronco.
            Don't forget about that infamous Ford blinker fluid leak problems, or the crank-start handle on the Dodge Cummins that's been known to break off in your hand.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Thank for the story Gunny. A lot of good information is already in this post. I have the 2002 7.3. The only issues I have EVER had were a tranny pump at 28K, which got me a Modesto Ford rebuilt tranny that is still going very strong at 100k. And more recently the o ring oil leak. I think that track record is awesome.

There is no doubt Chevy has the Interior down pat (except for the new Fords) BUT, and a real big BUT!, the front suspension is a complete shit pile 4wd and 2wd 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton. Ask anybody who has done work on them. I must say though, that the Chevy's kept me in business. The best money was made lifting them and then rebuilding the front ends 6 months later. I have had at least 6 customers snap a tie rod end rolling off of a curb with a 6" lift. Nice one. Idler arms, pitman arms wearing out and breaking off of the frame, and the list goes on. Powerful Durys are awesome but with the front suspension and the overall looks of the truck, I couldn't buy one.

Dodge? Out run a 7.3? I can keep up with most Dodges. I was even able to keep up with my buddies with propane, bigger injectors, and a different turbo. Not bragging, but my truck has some serious power. I am a fan of the new Dodge body and the Laramie suede interiors. And at least the 3/4 tons have a solid axle..>>

The 6.0's were a big flop. I have heard through the grapevine that Ford has indeed halted production on the 6.4 until Navastar deals with the HUGE service numbers $$ of the 6.0. I think there is a law suit pending but cannot confirm. >>

You can have a Dury or a 6.0, and 6.4, or a CTD, but in the end, the LOW END, there is no substitution for cubes, and the 7.3 has all of them beat at the low end grunt....In my humble opinion.

If I had the money, I would buy the same truck Gunny did. The new body style of the Fords has them all beat by a mile. the King Ranch leather is freaking awesome. I haven't driven the 6.4, but I bet the twin sequential turbos really kick some a$$ for sure. Nice buy Gunny, and I hope you got a good one...
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

What this post was about --- To Me---- was all of these stupid rumors. I find it something Ironic that those "Rumors" apply almost equally to all of the big Three brand trucks from the competing dealer's. With the key word there being "Dealers". Folks that have experiance is a completly different thing, as experiance is just that. I have complete respect for each and every one that has experiance and that is in all truth probably the best indicator of what is and what isn't.

Now with that said I don't own stock in any of those Companys and there for have no personal axe to grind with any of them. I do have experiance with two of those. My motor Home is powered by a 360 HP Duramax, that was reason enough to not even give Chevrolet a look when it came to buying this new truck. My experiance with the Duramax told me "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on ME" I am damn hard to fool that second time.

My Cummins was without a doubt the best truck anyone could ever ask for. I liked very much the styling of that second generation Dodge. That Cummins motor was a real power house in the towing realm and I did have it chipped with a Van Aiken fueling chip that added 155 HP and 165 ft lbs of torque. It was a 6 speed HO to begin with and would drag anything you could put behind it and do an unbelievable job. I could pull the Questra Grade ( the steepest grade in the state of CA ) at 65 MPH in 5th gear and accelerate all the way to the top and be in 6th gear before I crowned that pass still gaining speed, with a 34 ft 5th wheel trailer in tow. I have never seen nor heard of any other pick-up that could even come close to that. However when it came to "Payload" I sadly found out that Dodge was sorely lacking, not by a little but by a LOT. The Cummins and that 6 speed were awesome, that truck had 149,000 miles on it when I let it go last week. Other than brakes filters, oil, wiper blades and tires I never and it never had a penny spent on it. Hell it still has the orginal clutch in there even after all of that towing and those 149,000 miles.

My only real experiance with the Ford diesel was with a buddys sons truck. This friend of mine was a shooting partner and he was a retired CHP officer. When I bought my truck he found one 6 speed in the whole state to hear him tell it and bought it. it was a 2500 Cummins and was also a quick truck. His son bought a Ford PowerStroke becuase he needed a crew cab and Dodge did not offer one at the time. I do not remember which one of the Ford diesels it was but I think it was a 7.3 with a automatic. We were at a Silhouette Match at Avenal CA and were going to Kettlemen City for dinner that night. Chris's Ford was the only crew cab and it was new at least to him so we went in it. He pulled out onto I-5 and nailed that Ford hard. The accelaration was unbelievable, NO WAY NO HOW would my Dodge have been able to stay with him, no way. He was doing 120 MPH so fast it was scary and at that 120 MPH that Ford diesel was still pulling very hard. I didn't know a diesel would do that, it was damn quick.

When Joanne and I bought this new truck I had some reservations about spending that much money on a UN tried new motor. The rest of the truck gives me no concern at all, but that new diesel is still a question mark. It is going to be what it is, if it breaks I will fix it, if it doesnt my blood pressure stays low. It will be what it is. Ford was the only truck with the "Payload" we needed, the only one even close by the way. And as Delta said that King Ranch is really something to behold.

Gunny
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide in broadside, worn out and throughly used up shouting "WOW" what a ride.

Comment

Gunny, I appreciate the humor in your post. I think you made a wise purchase and I hope it meets your needs. One of the biggest problems with all these trucks is people expecting them to do more than what they were intended.
                  Buying a new truck, at todays prices can be very frustrating. Sifting through all the BS is the worst part. I hope your purchase brings a lot of happiness.
                  69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

My sales experience was different for me. I knew exactly what I wanted and why. When they started the sales BS, I quickly showed them that I knew more about the truck than they did. I should have looked more for a better priced dealer but I got bit by the PSD bug in a bad way.
                    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I can confrim a few of the dodge rumors.
                      Many of my friends own the brands, and one of my best friends even works for dodge, (gee wonder why I own one )
                      "The dodge body is junk"
                      Ture, on the the 1st gen's, the truck would fall apart around the motor, there are still many 1st gens out there with 300-500k, but not much body at all on them. Dodge had a few paint issues on the 2nd gens, I have not heard anything with the 3rd's (03-07)
                      The rear end thing, My friend lost his, is was an 03 with the 10.5 rear end. They only put that rear end in that year only for the 2500 diesel, all other years got the 11.5 for a diesel. Gaser's still get the 10.5.
                      Trannys are fine, the Torque convertors are crap, but so are Ford's and Chevys.

Stock for stock, the Duramax is the fastest of all 3, the D-max likes to rev and hauls butt. Add a chip, or anything else, and a Dodge is faster. CTD take to mods better and hold together. There is a reason they own every tractor pulling comp.
                      Dodge's interior does lack refinement. I love the ford's interior a lot better.

If you guys want, a few of my TDO brothers are planing a weekend to go up to Sears Point Raceway and beat on trucks, your more then welcome to bring yours. I hope you can see through all the black smoke when I leave you at the line )
                      Mark Harris
                      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

This thread made me look at all three of the new offerings, and it looks like Dodge has upped there motor size to 6.7L with the same HP and torque as the new Ford 350hp, 650 torque and is offering a 6 speed automatic. It's a shame they don't offer anything larger than a 3500 for people in Gunny's position. The towing capacities of the new Ford went way up. The GM trucks have the highest rated HP and torque 365hp, 660 torque, but there towing capacity is now the lowest of the three (didn't go down the others went up). Don't you just love how competition works!
                        I'm not excited about all the new emission changes, it sounds like the maintenance costs are going to be higher and power mods will be a little tougher.
                        Last edited by highlander; 04-04-2007, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I have an 05' Dodge 2500 4x4, before that a 99' Dodge 2500 4x4.The 99's had torque converter and injector pump issues.So far no problems with the 05'.My buddys all have Fords and Chevys. The issues with the Fords seem to be injector problems and a high price tag, at least down here anyway.The Chevys seem to have tranny and suspension component problems. It all boils down to what you want. I would buy the Cummins motor no matter what it comes in and I got a solid front axle! I know so does the ford, but they dont have an inline motor which IMO is better for longevity. At the time I purchased mine the Dodge was also several thousand cheaper than the Ford. Like I said, its all personnal preference. They all have issues sooner or later!!!!!
                          Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
                            This thread made me look at all three of the new offerings, and it looks like Dodge has upped there motor size to 6.7L with the same HP and torque as the new Ford 350hp, 650 torque and is offering a 6 speed automatic. It's a shame they don't offer anything larger than a 3500 for people in Gunny's position. The towing capacities of the new Ford went way up. The GM trucks have the highest rated HP and torque 365hp, 660 torque, but there towing capacity is now the lowest of the three (didn't go down the others went up). Don't you just love how competition works!
                            I'm not excited about all the new emission changes, it sounds like the maintenance costs are going to be higher and power mods will be a little tougher.
                            yea this year is a little crazy. ford has a 6xxx lb payload capacity! ARE YOU KIDDING that is the coolest thing ever. I had the opportunity to run two 3000lb pallets up to washington last year and had to tow a trailer (my 04.5 dodge is 2700 payload).... if I had the new ford dualie I could have just thrown them in the bed and ripped up there. I probably would have broken down.... but the tow truck wouldn't have had to worry about a trailer

I've also heard some stuff about the mods being an issue... the monitoring system on the new motors is going to make it unlawful somehow? Hopefully they find a way around it or stock just went up on anything pre-emmission trucks.... should be great for my resale
                            84/55 renegade, ton's, body stretch.. 400hp atlas. burnouts and such.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rancho...a=4&ajaxpipe=1

SFS Industries (aka silly fab) for all your fabrication and parts needs

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

The new shop is at 2225 cemo circle 95670

Comment

I was reading yesterday about the super duty's, and it seems that ford puts a slightly detuned version in the 450's. Of course they didn't say detuned they just listed it as slightly less power. 325 hp and 600lbs instead of the 350/650. I was also told that the problem with the 6.0 was that the ford engineers re-work the fuel system to create more power. More power then International spec that motor out for.
                              So maybe Ford's "detune" in the F450 will allow this truck with new motor to survive.
                              72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Working...
                              X