coils or 1/4 ellipticals..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coils or 1/4 ellipticals..

Ok I have decided that da bronco will be getting the rear triangulated 3 link....

Now do I go coils, which a lot of folks around here have.... or do I go 1/4 eliptical to be one of a kind.

I know one guy who tried it said lots of wheel hop occured when he had his 1/4 but I attribute that to not the right spring rate?

I wouldn't attribute the wheel hop to the springs. I would contribute it to a poorly designed suspension. Not to be mean. It sounds like when he built his link suspension, he made it with equal length arms that mounted at the same level on the frame. This is a lot like using radius arms on the rear. Major wheel hop. There are lots of sources for suspension design out there. I used an engineer buddy that read a lot about suspension to design my three link. It works great for me, and I'm using Jeep TJ coils. They are a little soft, but if I was to remount my shocks in a better location, it would be much better. Good luck on the redesign. I had a blast building mine.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Think you would give out your measurements to a fellow EBer?

Seperation, anti squat and all that jazz confuse me.
      Last edited by JUNK; 06-26-2005, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I will if you are interested in moving your rear axle back three inches. That is what I did. Hopefully soon I will get the front moved forward 6 inches.
        The measurements are 48 inches from mount to axle on the lower arms, and for the upper the length is 24 inches. There is 12 inches of seperation on the axle, and the front mounts are pretty much on the same plain for the frame mounts. Here is a link to some pics. I rebuilt the upper arm since these pics since I did such a crappy design on it. I would also shy away from the radius arm mounts on the front of the lower arms. I have gone through 3 sets in around a year.

http://www.broncofix.com/board/viewt...?p=16579#16579
        http://www.broncofix.com/board/viewt...?p=15876#15876
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I was gonna move my diff back 2 inches to center the tire in the cutouts.

Wonder why you are going thru radius arm bushings on the lower links? My bud has those bushings on the end of every link and just finally had to replace them for the first time in bout 3 years, and it was more just for the hell of it.

I like the idea of having max clearance under the lower arms as well.

Thanks for all the info, I am sure I can use some of it on my project here.

Comment

Working...
          X