No announcement yet.

Cryogenic Questions.. Who Knows What??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cryogenic Questions.. Who Knows What??

Ok Ok I have been looking into the Cryogenic of Steel parts..

(Ring/Pinion, Rotors/Brake Pads, Heads, Valve Springs, Cranks, Tranny gears, etc.. etc..

Any Advise is appreciated..

My questions are:

1. Is there a parameter chart of how thick of steel / how long to submit to the freeze?

2. Can you over freeze????

3. What are shops charging???

I need to get info on the parameters of this.. I may be able to do it for fellow club members..

More info to come....

Aaron
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

I have a buddy that seems to know a shop that does it, and has had a few things done, I think in Folsum. I'll ask him if you dont get other responses. Would be cool if you could do it
    302, edelbrock heads, roller rockers, intake, sanderson shorty headers,

Comment

Any help would be helpfull.. I have acsess to a freezer... Just need to see if it all works out...

Aaron
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

what's the benefit?
        Brad
        Chico, Ca.

Comment

Cryoing is supposed to temper your parts to add strength.
          Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
          I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

I know Dean does it at www.performancecryogenics.com. He is super good guy too.

Comment

Lincoln, Nice and close.
              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
                I know Dean does it at www.performancecryogenics.com. He is super good guy too.
                Dean is great!

You can't get to the -300 degs with out liquid nitrogen. You need a license to have it.

Dean has did my Front transfer case output shaft, yoke and a few other Tcase parts.
                He currently has my front Alloy USA axles and U-joints he just cryo'd for me.

I don't know if it helps, its cheap though.

When my Dodge needs brakes, I will be cryoing the rotors and pads as well.
                I keep forgeting to send my pocket knife in as well.
                Mark Harris
                71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

How much to have a person frozen?
                  Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

What does cryoing rotors and pads do? Do they "need" to be stronger?
                    Jeff
                    Vacaville, Ca
                    67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Cryo fad is just like the billet fad. Everything not forged or cast is made from billet. Just using the word is a whole sales thing. To buy LN2 (liquid nitrogen) you dont need a license. That is bullshit. You rent the dewer and buy the liquid gas just like you buy welding gas. The process gives you some very very very minor stress relief and does nothing to increase strength or hardenss. Its all bullshit.

If you need cold temps to press fit something you can do a 50/50 mix of carbon dioxide (dry ice) and alchol and that gets you down around -108F. Plenty to do a press fit on the male piece.
                      Last edited by Spaceburger; 04-19-2007, 08:08 AM.
                      Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Back in my younger days I used to play a lot of softball. Our team had a couple guys that only bought the cryod bats. We were always putting big tears and cracks in them. Of course we did that to a lot of other bats too but it seemed the cryo ruined them.
                        Now if the cryo process could keep the brakes on my 04 F150 from squeeking I'm all over it. I hate my brakes.
                        Definately nothing special needed to buy nitrogen either. We have bought it before to do some freezing experiments around the house. Don't know where to get it anymore though. Seems you need a special container though right?
                        Jeff
                        Vacaville, Ca
                        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Just eat the frozen dinners that have been in your freezer for 10 years to free up some space and put your parts in there for week or so. Your wife will love it. LOL!!!

Comment

Call any welding gas supply company (Air Liquide, Linde..) and tell them you need a dewar of LN2. They will deliver if you have an account. Do it outside or you take the chance of inerting the atmoshphere you are breathing and killing yourself or other loved ones. You can freeze cats and rats all day long. Don't let it splash onto your skin, wear big gloves and a thick rubber apron, and freeze away! Breathing anything below 16% oxygen (normally 20.8% O2) will make you pass out. Thats how crawling into rusty tanks kills so many people. The O2 is consumed in the process of coverting ferous iron into iron oxide (rust).
                            Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Interesting topic!! Cyro treating metal parts has been going on for quite a while. In the shooting world a few years ago it became the standared for accuracy, if you didn't have a Cyro treated Badger or Illiga barrel you were "Supposed" to be out of luck in the BPCR Silhouette game I shoot. The thing was Cyro treatment was supposed to stress relieve the barrel after the rifling button had been pulled through the barrel thus creating stress cracks. Trouble was a lot os shooters at the time were winning Matches and the National Championship with out these "Required" stress relieved barrels. Now these barrels for BPCR shooting are BIG and long my 45-100 Silhouette Rifle has a 36" barrel that is a little over a inch across the flats at the muzzle and this rifle weighs 15 lbs. Cyro treatment sure cant hurt I don't think but it does not provide any additional strength, that is not it purpose, it does realine (SP) the cyrstiline structure of certain steels and does a good job of releaving and stress created in the machining process. Hell guys that can't be bad now can it?

Gunny
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide in broadside, worn out and throughly used up shouting "WOW" what a ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X