Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety

I'm not one to preach, but this hit me pretty hard.

A friend of mine was welding on his bronco, (not the safest guy in the world), there just happened to be a pan of ATF under there with him. Well you can guess what happened.

We call him roman candle, darwin, and flambe.

Be safe out there fellas.
    Attached Files
    (o==o)

ouch.
    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

yep... I'm just waiting for the day. Broncos can often have many many gas tanks and it's generally not good on the cost vs. time analysis to remove everything when working in the area.

Can't say I've ever seen atf go up before from spatter. Was there maybe some gas in the pan too or are we talking hot molten balls rolling off from welding on dirty metal?

either way... sorry to hear it happened to him.
      84/55 renegade, ton's, body stretch.. 400hp atlas. burnouts and such.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rancho...a=4&ajaxpipe=1

SFS Industries (aka silly fab) for all your fabrication and parts needs

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

The new shop is at 2225 cemo circle 95670

Comment

Ouch... The worst I've done was to set my tee-shirt on fire while grinding underneath (no gas tanks or other flammable liquids anywhere near by, thankfully).

Okay, so it was really just a hot piece of metal that burnt a hole in my shirt then quickly went out. Still enough to wake me up and practice safer techniques. I hope your buddy is OK.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

he is recovering. i have been caught being complacent in the garage a couple times before. after the steel sliver was drilled out of my eyeball, i have no less than 5 pairs of safety glasses in my shop. it all comes down to a decision. hmmm, should i really be welding this shackle mount right next to my filler neck? or, i only need to clean up this bead real quick.
          (o==o)

Comment

I was cutting with a torch on a rolling chassis on the first rig my shop restored. I was cutting near the rear of the driver's side of the frame. Well, the fumes in the rear tank, that was empty, ignited like a freaking jet engine torching my right hand. All of the skin came off almost immediately. What a dumb ass move.

Anyway, bummer it happened to you buddie. Cheers for a quick recovery and a good lesson learned.
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by B-one
              .....We call him roman candle, darwin, and flambe.
              Be safe out there fellas.
              Your friend has a borderline 3rd degree burn. Nowdays you can wear a prosthetic that can insure your skin grows somewhat smooth or get grafts. In the old days he would have ended up with a scar I call "Chicken Skin". I would know. My right sholder is covered with it.

In my job I have been taught to always think "RISK" .What amount of time do you save taking short cuts vs. having to deal with the consequences of an accident. I can relate to Sillyneck but now always think for a second longer.
              Last edited by Spaceburger; 05-15-2007, 06:23 AM.
              Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

OMG! That looks like a bad burn! Yeeeeouch for sure! Thanks for reminding us all of the safety precautions that we need to use every time that we are in the garage/shop, but sometimes get in a hurry and forget or plain say "I'm just going do this real quick....I'll be ok".

Comment

YES!
                  I am sorry to see it, I know I have careless moments too, I hate to see that happen to anyone.

The worst that happen to me, was my 4.5 inch grinder went about 1/3 of way into my bicipe, into the muscle. Their is a reason cheap grinders have an On Off switch, and Quality ones have a paddle switch with a deadmans.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Optical Auger for sliver in the pupil...Check
                    9 stiches for fingers into fan blade...Check
                    5 stiches on left bicep when car slipped of the jack...Check
                    Seven stiches on right forearm for getting between my dogs during a fight...Check
                    Surviving these events with only a couple a scars and lessons learned
                    Priceless
                    Tony
                    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

From experience, safety glasses are an absolute must when operating a drill press... I've recovered completely from my injury (20-20 in both eyes) but I could easily have lost sight in one of my eyes from a careless mistake. Blunt-force trauma to the eye ROYALLY sucks. The treatment is a whole bunch of horse pills and as little movement as possible for 5-7 days. They literally have to re-train you how to eat (move the fork to your mouth, not your mouth to the fork). You are allowed to walk yourself to the bathroom but that's about it. Plus you get an aluminum eye patch to wear for a while... STYLIN!

That's my worst ever (15+ years ago, when I was in HS).
                      Tony

Accident prone? No.
                      Unlucky? Yes.
                      Last edited by CityHick; 05-16-2007, 12:26 PM.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Working...
                      X