need a new tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a new tranny

Well I am getting closer to needing a new auto tranny in my 99' superduty, especially since I will be towing my eb soon. I have been putting this off for about 2yrs. luckily. Whenever I stress the truck ie. twisty roads, long uphills or even extended trips on the highway, my tranny temps start to soar. This is even when unloaded. I know I have burnt up the clutches a little for sure.
    Anyways, impulse tells me to buy a bts or simaler tranny, but at this time I can't afford to blow $4-5k. I guess my best bet is having it rebuilt and atleast getting a good aftermaket tc. Do you guys know of any good places for a decent rebuild that is better than stock? Or other options sub $4k.
    thanks....
    70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Originally posted by bent70
    Well I am getting closer to needing a new auto tranny in my 99' superduty, especially since I will be towing my eb soon. I have been putting this off for about 2yrs. luckily. Whenever I stress the truck ie. twisty roads, long uphills or even extended trips on the highway, my tranny temps start to soar. This is even when unloaded. I know I have burnt up the clutches a little for sure.
    Anyways, impulse tells me to buy a bts or simaler tranny, but at this time I can't afford to blow $4-5k. I guess my best bet is having it rebuilt and atleast getting a good aftermaket tc. Do you guys know of any good places for a decent rebuild that is better than stock? Or other options sub $4k.
    thanks....
    Not sure where you live... Rons Transmissions in Sunnyvale said that when my trans went out in my 02 SD they could put a reman Ford unit in for $1600.00, with a 3 year warranty from Ford. It will have all the updated pieces in it. That was a year ago, you want to Talk To Craig, tell him Doug Conn sent you 408-738-4226
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Here's the deal. You really don't "NEED" a nice super high dollar tranny like some will tell you. Save your $$ on the tranny and get a nice lock-up converter from BD, Banks, ATS or whomever can give you the best deal. Upgrade your crappy tranny cooler to a cooler from a 6.0 Power Stroke. It is huge and is basically a bolt in for your truck. Get a reputable shop to build you a nice tranny with all heavy duty internal parts...run synthetic fluid like Royal Purple or Red Line...also, get a chip from DP Tuner www.dp-tuner.com and he will program a much better tranny program that will eliminate a lot of the issues we have with these trannys like converter slippage, early shifts that bog the truck, etc. all which create heat. I have had a Ford Rebuilt tranny for 70K miles, with the 120 DP chip, 38" tires, towing heavy stuff, and not being easy on it and still have no slippage or burnt fluid...

Let us know what you do.
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

You remember Keith from Pirates BBS? (Papa Smurf).
        He does awesome work, and bought a tranny shop about 2 years back.
        Sure its up above Chico, but I'd drive up there and get him to do the work.
        If you don't remember him, I can dig up the shop name.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by caryt
          I got to disagree a little bit with Delta...sorry! You don't want a TQ from any of those company's. get a TQ from Precision Industries..a Stallion Power Stroke Torque Converter its the best made and the one BTS uses, the best trans you can buy!

Second you do not want to have a chip change your pressure in the VB you want the VB modded to control shifts and pressure based apon your HP & TQ. Chips are good for very small changes in the trans shift strategies only!

Third I wouldn't get a chip from DP for many reasons lest of which is he charges you for any re burns if you need them or wish to mod your motor more in the future.

You need to make sure that the rebuild trans has the upgraded steel planetary gear sets and the steel Housing.

You don't need syn IMO, yes its better but I have been using the cheep stuff for over 100k on my BTS and its as good as new.

Yes I am a BTS, Precision and TW dealer and would highly recommend them but a "properly" rebuilt trans with a BTS VB , Precision TQ and a big cooler should last many miles and years.

I don't care if you buy from me or not thats not the reason for my post., just want you to get the best bang for your buck.

cary

I was trying to lead him down an affordable path but definitely great choices you pose but much more $$ I would think.

....as far as DP, he only charges me 35 bucks to add-delete tunes (each). He added a different Ford tranny tune that made a huge difference. The factory tranny only lasted 30K miles

I am brutal to my tranny...the 120 chip, spinning tires while pulling a trailer from the start (damn ass I know), pulling hard up Ice House road, and never an issue for the last 70k. The biggest thing with me is to keep the tranny cool.
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

One other option is to get the "good" parts and rebuild it himself, its not that hard!
            I was thinking about this...I did my C4 and thought it was a sinch...the newer trannies are mysterious to me.

The valvebody is cheaper but it doesn't give you a 120 HP

Comment

Yea, I was thinking something along the lines as the precision industries tc, since I do read up on diesel stop and noticed it was what bts sells with their trannys.
              For some reason I thought I had a 4r100, but according to an article written about mods put on my actual truck, apparently it has the e4od, which I assume is pretty simaler except for a few internal parts and must have been in early 99' trucks.
              Here is the write up on whats in my truck....Article

Now is the v10 or the 6.0 cooler the one I want??
              Weldmn- I thought Keith was in sac....that would have been easier. I'll send him a pm on pirate.

Comment

I just checked for a pi stallion tc and found this:

Precision Industries Torque Converter - Ford
                Year:1999
                Gear Ratio:3.73
                Price: $895
                91/2" lock-up AODE Multi-Disc 3 plate RPM's 2400-6000
                Desired Stalliesel Stall
                Engine/ShiftRPMiesel
                One:Turbo
                Transbrake:No
                PISTALLION $895.00 $895.00

Would this be the one I want? I assume so.

Shipped price came to $915 or so....is that ok, this is just the first place I looked so far.

Comment

There are 2 different 6.0 coolers! The 6.0 cooler you want is part number is 5C3Z-7A095-CB, check flea bay...should be under a $100.

Cary
                  Right on I'll look into that.

Could you pm me a price for a bts tranny and pi tc combo to get an idea what the ideal route could be?...thanks alot.
                  Last edited by bent70; 06-07-2007, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Plugging for a good guy. Call SMI here in Sac and see what he can do. Tell hiim you are from this club. Not sure of the phone # though.

SMI
                    Shift Management Inc.

I think they are on Warehouse Wy.
                    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Originally posted by bent70
                      I just checked for a pi stallion tc and found this:

Precision Industries Torque Converter - Ford
                      Year:1999
                      Gear Ratio:3.73
                      Price: $895
                      91/2" lock-up AODE Multi-Disc 3 plate RPM's 2400-6000
                      Desired Stalliesel Stall
                      Engine/ShiftRPMiesel
                      One:Turbo
                      Transbrake:No
                      PISTALLION $895.00 $895.00

Would this be the one I want? I assume so.

Shipped price came to $915 or so....is that ok, this is just the first place I looked so far.
                      that seems like a great deal. I need a new converter someday. Still running the stocker...

Comment

Keith moved up to Susanville or something a few years back. He quite his other telecommunations job, that was keeping him in Sac.

All this talk about horsepower, and powerstrokes.............. You guys need to ride in a Chiped/programmer Dodge
                        Mark Harris
                        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn
                          You guys need to ride in a Chiped/programmer Dodge
                          Wouldn't we have to step over into the "Dark side" to do that?
                          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

no, just change religions... here, have some kool-aid and relax!
                            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                              no, just change religions... here, have some kool-aid and relax!
                              That Jim Jones Quote is to close to home he came from Redwood Valley about 10 miles north of here . Then he took his following south,
                              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Working...
                              X