Need Engine Recomondations.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Engine Recomondations.....

Well I blew my 302 on the way to the trail last weekend.. Now I need to pull the motor. Do I take the blown motor to a machine shop and have it rebuilt or do I get another engine and just drop it in??? 5.0, 302, 351 or what??? Need help on this one!!! What do you recommend???? Anyone have a spare motor?
    Thanks
    Aaron
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

I prefer the 5.0....the wiring is not that hard and there are parts everywhere. Good luck with what ever you choose....Oh did I tell you I get 15 to 17 mpg with my 5.0...
    70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

Originally posted by slvregl
      I prefer the 5.0....the wiring is not that hard and there are parts everywhere. Good luck with what ever you choose....Oh did I tell you I get 15 to 17 mpg with my 5.0...

NICE!!
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by slvregl

NICE!!
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Aaron.....what did you find when you opened her up?

Comment

Originally posted by Howdy
            Aaron.....what did you find when you opened her up?
            I havent even taken the valve cover off yet. I started her up the other day and it sounded like someone was hitting the side of the block with a sledge hammer. I belive it is in the bottom end and not just a head job will fix that. I believe it is more damage than i first thought. I'll look into it next week. But if I have to pull the motor anyway.... do i just rebuild it or.....
            Aaron
            KK6DAD
            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I wold think about an EFI setup. I like my 351 but sometimes the carb is alittle bit of a pain. But that's only in very off camber conditions. MPG would be a plus too. I haven't checked what I get but it isn't 15 to 17.
              1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

I would go a used 5.0. BUT check the Pirate board, Brian in Lodi is giving away two 302's and other stuff
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

This would be a perfect time to do a 5.0 EFI swap. Or maybe even a 351 EFI. When I needed an engine I went with a used 5.0 EFI, but if/when that one blows, I'll put in a 351 EFI set up. Good luck with whatever you do!

Comment

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/pts/88187150.html

1988 Lincoln 5.0 in the bay area.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/pts/88075436.html

Another, sounds like it needs rebuilding.
                    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

If that is the original 302 block, I would have it rebuilt.

Stay with a 302...the 351 has more overheating issues. I do have a 351 and luckly (knock on wood) I do have my cooling and heating issues under control.

And a 2 barrel MotorCraft carb is the next best thing next to EFI. That's what I have run on both the EB's I've owned and they've worked great.

Comment

i have a 351w with tbi it runs at all crazy angles even when i lay it on the side. it also runs hot hot hot.... it hit 250 on the con last weekend.. but with tbi it still ran when hot... ( i did let it cool back down to 220)... when i blow this up i'm thinking of a 5.0 and stoke it to 347. the later model blocks appear to run cooler because of the sep belt system
                        70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

Also check out Corral.net for engines. Some times you can find someone local on there. Also www.californiafords.com It is a local nor cal site. I believe there is also one called sacstangs.com

My current 5.0 swap runs real cool around town and on the freeway. 180 degrees or less. Just sittinng in 100 degree heat idleing away will have it climb up to 210 and stay there. But once you start moving, even just letting it idle down the street will will cause the temps to drop down.

Comment

Just saw this on the CA Bronco list posted by Lars

"I was at the local yard this morning on a scrounging mission. There were
                            two fairly intact mass air 5.0 Mustangs and one smashed one. All were
                            missing computers and some other odds n' ends, but the yard is having a
                            half off sale through August 11 so what's there might be had for cheap.
                            Location is Metro Auto Salvage in Woodland, CA if anyone's interested.

Lars Pedersen
                            Davis, CA"

I also remember talking to Jim Gougen a few weeks ago and he asked me if I knew anyone that wanted an Explorer engine complete with the GT40P heads. He's tired of seeing it at his place and will make someone a great deal on it.

Comment

If it we me I would build a 347 stroker motor. It will pull your teeth out and you could build it yourself if you had the tools and time or you could buy one out of one of the motor houses out there and drop it in. I am leary of the 351 with its heating issues but if you aren't then set the standard and build a 393 or 406 stroker from a 351. That way I can read your thread and find out what not to do. Can't wait to see the work, have fun. FM
                              72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                              1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Working...
                              X