Gearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing?

I need some new gears. Problem is, I can't decide how deep to go. I run a 200 inline six with 35's and 4.11's. Needless to say , it's lacking in bottom end. I've found a gear ratio calculator that say's 5.13's are the way to go. What do ya'll think about this. I want some botoom end, but don't want to loose the ability to jump on the highway if needed.

http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/gears.htm
    Attached Files

I've never driven a 6 cyl. before, but with 35 tires I think you would be up pretty high in the RPM range on the freeway. But the low end would be great! There is always a give and take huh? What tranny are running? Overdrive?

EDIT, Oops, never mind. I just read your signature.
    Last edited by crawlin68; 06-15-2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

How much time does the rig spend on the street or get on the freeway?? I run 4:88 with 40's (that measure 38.5) It's no speed demon but I can get it on the freeway. FFMDX is running 4:56 with 37's but we both have v8's .
      5:13 seem really steep. Did you use the stated tire size or the accual tire size to come up with that number??

FM <><
      72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
      1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

I used 28" as the original tire size and 35" as the new tire size. These Q78's are pretty true to size, they are 35.5" tall. I'm running a np435.

Comment

I run 4.56's W/35's.. really measure 34... Soon to be 37" Iroks!! I like the 4.56's!!!!! Great gear!! I will run the 4.56's in the axles and later change the T-Case!! If you go with a smaller tire go with the 4.11's and go lower in the T-Case for wheeling.....

A
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Some thing to remember is that the 6cyl trucks came with 4.11's stock, while the V8's came wth 3.50's. Given that, I think 5.13's might work since most people running V8's jump a full point with 4.56's or 4.88's. 5.13's would be a 20% reduction. Does this make sense?

Comment

What does the gearing calculator say your RPM's will be going 60 MPH with the 5:13's? If you can live with that, then I say go for it!

Comment

2900, which is exactly the same as doing 60 with 28" tires and 4.11's. Am I missing something in the eqation?

Comment

I had a 170 inline six then went to a 250 inline six with 4.11 and 35" tires
                  I think 4.88 would be a good number. I now have a 5.0 with 5.13 2800 RPM at maybe 55-60
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

no expert here but I think that gear calc asked for the original gear in axle (3.50). 5.13 would be your current ratio with 28's changed to 35's. And from what i have heard isnt 4.56 the next in line for 35's??
                    {o===o}
                    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                    Originally posted by CityHick
                    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

4.11 is the original ratio in the 6cyl trucks, not 3.50.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjhoov
                        4.11 is the original ratio in the 6cyl trucks, not 3.50.
                        4.10 or 4.56 were the original gear options in a 6 cyl ( so I have read some were )
                        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

True. At least that's what I've read too.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjhoov
                            2900, which is exactly the same as doing 60 with 28" tires and 4.11's. Am I missing something in the eqation?
                            This sounds right on. If you aren't planning on flying around at 80mph, I don't see any reason not to go with the 5.13's.
                            Not sure if this is the calculator you used, but I like it.
                            http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm
                            Marc D.
                            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

This one

http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/gears.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X