tunnel cover support ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tunnel cover support ?

I was starting to cut the floor out so I can have access to the top of the NP435 I just put in. I forgot there is a support under there. Before I cut through that I figured I should ask how important that is. Should I brace the tunnel somehow? What have you guys done? Pictures are always nice.

Hopefully one of the pics I will atach will show what I am talking about..

Thanks, again,
    Jeff
    Attached Files
    Vacaville, Ca
    67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

When in doubt, HACK IT OUT!

On a serious note, I myself have not seen anyone put any additional bracing back in after cutting it...

Comment

Jeff, like House said, I haven't seen anyone replace it. I am putting my cover back on now using a heavy ga steel screwed down. Should be fine
      Rick-
      68 Slightly modified
      67 LUBR once again
      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

That's what I was hoping for.

Thanks,
        Jeff
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

I cut mine out after seeing many, many examples of similar cuts made by other bronco guys on here and on CB. I've even tested my floor to a certain extent after cutting the tunnel top off with no noticeable difference. I've got an idea in mind to reinforce the sheetmetal cover (that I still need to make) both for aesthetics and for getting some of that strength back. I will post pictures of whatever I come up with, should I do anything beyond basic sheet metal (and riv-nuts...)
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

sweet, I'm past the point of no return now. I'm not as fancy as you guys, I'm going to use short sheet metal screws. Wait till you see my paint job though.
            Vacaville, Ca

Comment

Mine's been cut out since the day I bought it in 1987. No problems to report, and yes, it ran some of the time.
              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

I've never seen one replaced, Just cut it out
                69 bronco 302 670 holley TA NV4500/Atlas 3.8 29 spl. in 32 out 4.5 bc lift 3" body D44 Locked - 9" Currie/strange with daytona PS and 1350 yoke. Warn full floater Locked 35" MTR's beadlocked 4 wheel disc most parts are still on shelf, But 1 day

Comment

Working...
                X