Trails around highway 108?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trails around highway 108?

Daddy4Zack had good response about trails in the North Tahoe area on his thread from last summer... so I'm stealing the idea! I'm going to be spending about 4-5 days up off highway 108 in a cabin with some friends near the twin lakes area next week.
    I won't have my EB there unfortunately, but I will have my Z71 and possibly a buddy's EB. Does anybody know any decent light trails/fire roads in the area?

I think the plan is to cruise around most of the time - check out Bodie and Mono Lake, and generally just enjoy the mountains. Any feedback is appreciated.

Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

I am not sure where twin lakes is. Are you on the east side or west side of Sonora Pass? If you are on the west side there are lots of fire/logging roads to explore between the Clark Fork cutoff and Pinecrest lake. The Niagra Rim trail/OHV area is just 15 to 20 minutes east of Pinecrest.

Comment

This is somewhere on the east side of Sonora pass. I have never been there before so it will all be new to me. I'll check into stuff on the west side, we're going to be up there for a few days so there should be plenty of opportunity to explore.

Thanks!
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

If you get a chance, swing by WH and pick up the book they have on the counter, NORTHERN CA. BACKROADS AND 4-WHEEL DRIVE TRAILS. I got one and it's got some good info and maps!!!

pops
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick
          This is somewhere on the east side of Sonora pass. I have never been there before so it will all be new to me. I'll check into stuff on the west side, we're going to be up there for a few days so there should be plenty of opportunity to explore.

Thanks!
          The only place I have been on the east side is the road out to leavitt lake. More of a bumpy 2wd road for a couple miles. We have done some fishing out there with some luck. Make sure you have a license if you go there. Its the only place in all the years I have fished that I have run into a game warden that was checking licenses. Out in the middle of nowhere, with no one else around.

Comment

I have forgotten to get a copy of that book at WH the last three times I've been there. I've even had my hands on a copy of it each time but I get distracted by all the goodies there and forget...

I guess the place I'm going is actually a little farther south. 108 over Sonora Pass, down 395 to Bridgeport then back up into the hills a ways. Supposedly decent fishing and lots of open space to explore. I'm just looking forward to gettting away for a little while.

Thanks for the info!
            Tony
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

I have forgotten to get a copy of that book at WH the last three times I've been there. I've even had my hands on a copy of it each time but I get distracted by all the goodies there and forget...

I guess the place I'm going is actually a little farther south. 108 over Sonora Pass, down 395 to Bridgeport then back up into the hills a ways. Supposedly decent fishing and lots of open space to explore. I'm just looking forward to gettting away for a little while.

Thanks for the info!
              Tony
              Sounds like Twin Lakes or Virginia Lakes. Good fishing either way. I fished the Virginia Lakes basin over Memorial Day. Like the proverbial taking candy from a baby. Will be trying the area below Mt. Lyell above June Lake this weekend. Bronco conveying me there, unfortunately no time for wheeling.
              1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

http://www.trails.com/stateactivity.asp?area=11688

a great resource...
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

If I read you right, you will be a few miles out of Bridgeport. There is a reservoir near the 108/395 Junction, Which I recall as Lobdell, but might be wrong. It is part of the Walker River drainage. We would turn off 395 to the east a few miles south of Pickle Meadow, it is mostly fire roads rather than trails but pretty country.

South of Bridgeport you can visit Bodie to the east, an authentic ghost town, or go SouthWest up to the Green Creek area. Again, mostly 2wd roads but incredible country. There are some big trout in Green Creek, but you can bounce bait or lures off their nose all day. I have never been flipped off by a fish except for there.

It is interesting to go up to Green Creek and see the old Dynamo pond that used to provide power to Bodie before the turn of the century.
                  Last edited by tortuga; 06-29-2007, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Another great book is "High Sierra SUV Trails" by Roger Mitchell.

There are 2 Volumes. Vol. 1 covers all the trails on the eastern slope, Vol. 2 the western.
                    71, 302, 435, 20, spool rear, ARB front, 35's,3.5sl 2"bl
                    nodular 3rd 1350 yoke disks allaround and on the road again

Comment

Working...
                    X