Track Bar clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Bar clearance

Quick question: How close to the oil pan can a track bar safely run? I've got a few inches of clearance - pics to come later.
    The guy who built my axle (and ran it on his EB for a while) put a riser on the axle, so a drop bracket probably won't work for me. I think that I may need a new oil pan on my engine. I don't have a good way to compress my front suspension to test it at the moment, but it does look close.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Do you have a picture?
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Try to post a side view pic if you can.

Why a new oilpan? Isn't it new like the engine?

Jeff
      Vacaville, Ca
      67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

pic of track bar clearance

Here's a side view pic of my track bar as it runs under my oil pan. About 2" clearance does not seem like enough.
        Jeff, to answer your quesion - I may need a new oil pan that does not hang down as much as the one that shipped with my engine.

Of course this setup is subject to change as I still have not figured out my steering, etc. I just don't see the track bar angle changing unless I do a drop bracket on the frame and do something else with the riser on the axle.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by CityHick; 07-01-2007, 11:25 AM. Reason: I get the dumb@ss of the day award
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Still no pic!
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I get the dumbsh!t of the day award...

There's a pic attached now to my earlier entry.
            Tony
            Last edited by CityHick; 07-01-2007, 11:26 AM.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

It looks pretty close to me. Your front axle can probably move up about 5-6" at the track bar mount so the track bar probably needs 2.5-3" of movement in the center

Comment

What does the diffrential clearance looke like? If it is OK you might be able to use a bent track bar, but the pan might be cheaper.

Comment

The diff is very clear. I've got 5.5" springs so the differential and the engine are pretty far apart. I can jack up either side about 24" (where my floor jack maxes out), still have 3 tires on the ground and no noticeable suspension/axle contact where it shouldn't be. I had not thought about a bent trac bar, but that might be the answer or there is always a different oil pan. Just more parts to add to my list... I really need to decide what I'm doing for steering, figure out the geometry there and see what will make the trac bar and drag link parallel.

Thanks!
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

If you have two jacks, put one in the back on the opposite side.

Comment

You could always take the coils out of the front and lower it down to the bumpstops. This would give you worst case.
                      Marc D.
                      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Or you could take the 5.5 coils out for some 8" coils.
                        67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                        69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                        69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                        79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                        67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler
                          Or you could take the 5.5 coils out for some 8" coils.
                          Why stop at just 8"? Somebody's got to go to 10-12" with semi truck axles or rockwells...
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Well I was going to suggest the 10"ers, but that would just be silly.
                            67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                            69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                            69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                            79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                            67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

OK Crazy question BUT could you flip the track bar over?? it looks like it kicks up at the axle end.. What if you flipped it? Would that work?

Aaron
                              KK6DAD
                              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
                              X