No announcement yet.

Spin Tech Mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so long tubes are actully better, performence wise?

Comment

Yes, better low end. Some people argue that at our low RPMs, any header is a waste of money if you are running low flow stock heads.
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I just switched from long tubes and dual 2.5" with Borla XR-1 mufflers to WH shorty headers 2.25" into single 2.5" with a Flowmaster Hushpower II. I really didn't notice much difference in low end power the power band does seem to kick in slightly sooner but not much. It does idle smoother, it would be hard to compare long to short headers when I went to single from dual.
        The sound of the Hushpower is nice, doesn't have that tin can sound that flowmasters typically have (I did add a small resonator tip, but it doesn't change it that much) It has a nice deep rumble at idle and doesn't get obnoxiously loud when you get on it. The idle sound is much like my Borla's but down the road and during acceleration it is much quieter. I am quite impressed with the sound of this setup.
        Last edited by highlander; 07-14-2007, 11:49 AM.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

cool thanks for the info. right now i am running duals is it better to run 2 into 1? and why?

Comment

I went to 2 into 1 because there wasn't a way to run duals without them hanging down in harms way with my dual t-cases. and there wasn't enough room to have to mufflers with the new 4-link. I probably could have done it outside th eframe rail but I ddidn't want them out there. If you do duals, a crossover or H-pipe will make them work a little better and if I did duals again it would be no larger than 2.25" (I have a 342 stroker that should be around 400HP)
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

has anyone ever herd SLP's on a bronco?

Comment

Interesting thread. I've had several flavors of Spintech mufflers. The best way I can describe the sound is "Grand National Car". Loud. Serious snarl/growl when on the gas. I got tired of it. I tried the biggest one they make, with a resonator and it eventually still got on my nerves. But then I guess I'm getting old. The best sounding muffler to me now is the one that makes the engine so quiet that I can't tell it's running. I'm not quite there, but close. Current setup is a gigantic Dynomax single followed by a resonator. It probably affected power output compared to a single 3" system with a Spintech dumping ahead of the axle, but I can't tell the difference using the seat of the pants dyno.
                1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Lars, That is what I am looking for... the same thing...QUIET. Can you post a pic or two?
                  Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger
                    Lars, That is what I am looking for... the same thing...QUIET. Can you post a pic or two?
                    Sure. Muffler is some gi-normous Dynomax thing. With a (I think) Hooker resonator chrome fancy tip on the end. Header pipes are 2.5", flowing into a single 3" muffler, then reducing to 2.5" after the muffler and on beyond the right rear wheel where you see the resonator. It's seriously quiet. My son was disappointed. But then he doesn't spend hours in my Bronco and besides, he has hearing neurons to spare.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Lars, how long is the body of that muffler. I have mine sideways where the gas tank used to me, and was wondering if that would fit inbetween the frame rail. The only muffler that I found that was short enough was the magnaflow wide open. It is terribly loud.
                      Marc D.
                      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Great pic Lars, Thanks!
                        Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72
                          Lars, how long is the body of that muffler. I have mine sideways where the gas tank used to me, and was wondering if that would fit inbetween the frame rail. The only muffler that I found that was short enough was the magnaflow wide open. It is terribly loud.
                          Marc, I don't think it would fit. I dug around on Summit's site and found it (don't bother with the Dynomax site- it's a nightmare because of all the graphics stuff). Specs are here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars
                            Marc, I don't think it would fit. I dug around on Summit's site and found it (don't bother with the Dynomax site- it's a nightmare because of all the graphics stuff). Specs are here.
                            Yeah, I think the body would be about 4 inches too long. I'm pretty sure the body of mine was 14 inches.
                            Marc D.
                            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Carl...I used to run Spintech Prostreets on my V8 240z. They sound very high pitched and raspy. I liked them but my wife did not. She prefered the Flowmaster sound much better. Tell me about your new motor!

Comment

Working...
                              X