Pulling The engine ???'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling The engine ???'s

I am getting ready to pull out my old 302.. Do I have to Drop my tranny and transfer case also? I have heard I can unbolt them and slide them back, I also heard I should drop them. And also that I can leave them in place and just unbolt the motor and pull it forward then out. What has everyone done?

I am dropping in another 302.. Do I install the full-length headers before the install of the motor or try and install them after the engine is in??
    Any tips would be appreciated..
    Thanks
    Aaron
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

If your just pulling the motor I would just unbolt the bell housing from the motor and yank just the block. You shouldn't need to mess with the trans at all. Putting it back in is a little tricker but go slow and it's doable. I stabbed mine with the trans on but getting the T-case back on was a pain.

I have the WH long tubes and I had to get the engine pretty much in but still on the cherry picker before I could put in the headers. Even then I couldn't get the bolts in till I dropped it into place. Sort of a trial and error kind if thing. Try and fit them, jack up the motor, let it down some...

Comment

68 sport has the right idea, but make sure you radiator is out of the way.
      70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

Originally posted by FordCore
        68 sport has the right idea, but make sure you radiator is out of the way.
        Ya i'll pull the radiator and fan.. Thanks
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Get a floor or bottle jack up under the tranny too.
          It shouldn't drop down too much with the t-case and drive shaft there but keeping the front up a little should help when you put it back in.

Comment

Hey Aaron...Did you put the engine in yet if so hows she run?
            1967, 302,C4, I DID it Not SOME FRIGGEN SHOP.

Comment

Originally posted by raharr3
              Hey Aaron...Did you put the engine in yet if so hows she run?
              Hey Roy,
              No... I have been soo busy and the Bronco Isnt on the top of the list. I am thinking of tring to get it done over the labor day weekend. We have a lot of house stuff going on and work and this damn HOT weather.. I'll get some time soon to get work done on her. I still have the kids wanting to go to soccer in the bronco so I need to get this done.
              Aaron
              KK6DAD
              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

LOL... Hey I hear that my kids fight over who gets to go with dad in his Bronco.

Comment

LOL... Hey I hear that my kids fight over who gets to go with dad in his Bronco.
                  Not me, mine fits all 5 of us
                  Aaron keep us posted on dates to pull the motor will try to get over to help. FM
                  72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                  1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

I need to get off my lazy rump and put the back seat in
                    Last edited by raharr3; 08-25-2005, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman
                      Not me, mine fits all 5 of us
                      Aaron keep us posted on dates to pull the motor will try to get over to help. FM
                      Thanks FM I will..
                      KK6DAD
                      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by raharr3
                        I need to get off my lazy rump and put the back seat in
                        Now that I have a chitlin' that will be going before too long, I need to build a rack like MIke did. I always bring a lot of crap and definitely need some storage...
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Update.. Got the 302 in with the help of Mark Dilorenzo "EarlyBronco72". Broncrick,, thanks for the cherry picker and the engine stand to use!!

Timed it, Adjusted it, Sweared at it and drove it like I stole it!! Runs Great!! Better than my old motor!! Thanks for all your help.. Now off to Muffler Tech for the new exhaust.. I got some Flowmaster 40's and an H pipe that are going on next!! My Kids will love it!!

Thanks again all..

Aaron
                          KK6DAD
                          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Glad to hear your up and runnin,
                            now that was'nt to bad was it?

Comment

SWEET! Best of all, the price was right! Now start getting the EFI stuff together!
                              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Working...
                              X