Need Surround Sound Advice!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Surround Sound Advice!!

OK, I just got a new TV....Man what a picture....I got the Samsung HL-R6168W 1920 x 1080 pixel...61" DLP. A lot better than my 20 year old 35" Zenith. Anyway, to match the great picture, I need a surround system. I have dome the research but just need some real opinions. I have been looking at Rotel, Klipsch, Adcom, and Yamaha. I am open to other brands but looking for middle, to lower-high end. Please post up your thoughts. Thanks in advance
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

I bought a Bose surround sound system a few years back and love it! They are awesome. Have looked into them?

Comment

I have not looked in to the BOSE. I am looking in to buildin my own system. Here is what I have found on avsforum.

Here is the general consensus for my large great room.

1) surround speakers

4 needed at 399.99 pair
      http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...0Black,%20Pair

2) Center Speaker at 99.99 each

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...nnel%20Speaker

3) Sub Woofer 1 needed at least 500 watt at 249.99

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?prid=1052

4) Receiver $349-379+- 50 WATTS *7
      Harmon Kardon AVR240 7.1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS

This is a lot of money...but seems worth it due to my large living room/dining room/kitchen "great Room"

I still need to track down the proper cables and whatnot...
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

My recommendations would be:

Yamaha for the receiver. (Built Very strong will LAST a long time)

Klipsch for the Sub.. ( Hands down the best subwoofer out!!)

Try to match the Center and L/R speakers I went with JBL I have been happy..

Rear doesn’t matter too much. How or where you mount them is more important.

Try www.Cyberguys.com for your cables. (No reason to spend 100.00 on cables.)

Aaron
        Last edited by Daddy4zack; 12-27-2005, 07:13 PM.
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Bose, Bose, Bose, for the speakers , sub, and center. You be blown away by there clearity. They also have the audio video recievers as well but they are pricey. Check out the Bose home theater stores.

Chris
          70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack
            My recommendations would be:

Yamaha for the receiver. (Built Very strong will LAST a long time)

Kliptch for the Sub.. ( Hands down the best subwoofer out!!)

Try to match the Center and L/R speakers I went with JBL I have been happy..

Rear doesn’t matter too much. How or where you mount them is more important.

Try www.Cyberguys.com for your cables. (No reason to spend 100.00 on cables.)

Aaron
            Thanks for the link Aaron. For wiring do you mean this http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...&search=&child=

I will be buying the system tomorrow. still looking for the best deals...

Comment

Originally posted by FordCore
              Bose, Bose, Bose, for the speakers , sub, and center. You be blown away by there clearity. They also have the audio video recievers as well but they are pricey. Check out the Bose home theater stores.

Chris
              I going to had to Best Buy and check them out. I head they have the Athena as well...

Comment

I read for hours n the AVSforum, audioholics, etc. and came to the comclusion that my "great room" needs a great system. No HTIB "home theater in a box" will work for high quality sound. So I bit the bullet and sank some green today. Here is what I got.

Here is what I ordered today....geez. I am broke...

Front Speakers (2)

Athena F2.2

Center (1)

Athena C1.2
                http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...el%20-%20Black

Rear (2)

Athena B2.2

Receiver (1)

HK 7.1 335Z
                http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...0335-Z&status=

Sub (1)

Dayton Titanic 12"

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...00-762&ctab=11

I have no idea what cables-wire I will need to hook all this crap up. ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE GREAT!!!

When I do get it all together this system will rock. Metallica with be the first venue for the room... Then Lord of the Rings, Full Metal Jacket, Star Wars,...etc.

I will look into a rear center if I need it. The receiver will support one....

Comment

Just get all your Speaker wire at Home Depot or lowes. Good prices on bulk wire. Thicker the better. Subwoofer cable shop around.. Cyberguys etc.. Price go's up the longer the cable.
                  KK6DAD
                  70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

i used to work in the home theater department at bestbuy, i went with the jbl speakers they sound great
                    78 ford bronco 6" suspenision 2" body lift. 37" toyos, 5:13 gears, detroit front and rear.

Comment

I got all of my stuff overthe last few days. I am particularly impressed with the sub. quality is awesome. It has spike legs that go through the carpet to the foundation to give it a solid base.

The receiver weighs what seems to be 50 pounds. I will snap some pics. Now I need to track down the right cables...component, TOS, ect

Comment

Crank it up and meet your neighbors!!

Have fun..
                        Aaron
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Hey Delta need to confirm a shipping address and you pm box is full. Thanks Chuck. Hey your first name Carl ? Thanks
                          72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                          1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

You just got my dream TV...keep us posted on the performance...I will be getting one as soon as my house is done. Good choice on the audio system...the only change I would have made...More power....the more power you have in the amp...the cleaner the sound at all levels...and it would make you system last longer..
                            70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

Originally posted by slvregl
                              You just got my dream TV...keep us posted on the performance...I will be getting one as soon as my house is done. Good choice on the audio system...the only change I would have made...More power....the more power you have in the amp...the cleaner the sound at all levels...and it would make you system last longer..
                              Yah the TV has an EXCEPTIONAL pic. Better than Plasma or LCD. Simply amazing. I am still trying to work out the hook up. When watching HDTV 1080i I am getting a zebra like distortion over places like hair, grass, and fast moving areas, etc, It is annoying. The video is hooked up via component cable. I think I will change it to DVI/HDMI and see if that solves the issue. There is a Samsung forum at avsfurum.com that I have been looking at but it is at 240 pages. Kinda hard to go through all of that info and search reveals little.

The audio is still in the works. I have the front 2 speakers hooked up with the sub. ROCKS the room the way it is. I have the center, the sides and the rears still to hook up.

As far as the power, this amp is rated differently that others like the Yamaha. The power output is TRUE watts at a certain output range. From what I have read, the HK receivers are way underrated. Kinda like my buddies ADCOM receiver. 50 watts per chanel, but it will drive 15's to the roof. All I know my SEVENDUST cd about broke out the windows last night. Pissed off the wife...

If you guys lived closer we could have a NFL party...

Comment

Working...
                              X