Who makes W/H Axles? NOW Big/Small Bearing Rear ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes W/H Axles? NOW Big/Small Bearing Rear ends

I noticed W/H has there Extreme 31 spline axles on special.. Does anyone know what brand they are? good quality? etc... Warranty?? 1541-H alloy is that the best??

Thinking of getting a pair now for when i upgrade to 31 spline. then save for an ARB..

A
    Last edited by Daddy4zack; 02-11-2008, 06:32 AM.
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Not sure who makes them, but one thing to consider is that the WH axles come assembled, ready to install with bearings pressed on. The other outfits don't, or at least they didn't when I bought mine last year. Not a big deal but it saves some hassle and $$.

Comment

And as we all know WH stands behind there stuff.
      1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

WH SUCKS!!!

JK, they are great. Try to see if Dusty at WCB or Caryt can help with a great deal as well. NEVER KNOW.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Just got off the phone with Mark at W/H.. He says They come from Dutchman or Randy's Ring and Pinion.. Whoever has them in stock. He talked me out of going with a 31 spline in the small bearing rear end. He says conversion bearings aren't as good as the big bearing.. etc etc..

That sucks they are much cheaper than the 35 spline.. And the whole new housing and and and.. I didnt want to start from scratch..

A
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
            ...He talked me out of going with a 31 spline in the small bearing rear end. He says conversion bearings aren't as good as the big bearing.. etc etc..
            ...I didnt want to start from scratch..
            We are fighting the same battle here... I have been thinking about the quick and dirty 31 spline upgrade in my small bearing rear too as a way to strengthen my driveline without spending a fortune. Did they give any specific information about why the conversion bearings are no good, other than the fact that they are not as large?

I guess its back to craigslist to try and find a deal...

BTW I noticed you switched your name back... Did you get your license plate yet? DMV just mailed me my post card saying it arrived in Pleasanton. I have an appt to go get it next week.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by TN1776 View Post

BTW I noticed you switched your name back... Did you get your license plate yet? DMV just mailed me my post card saying it arrived in Pleasanton. I have an appt to go get it next week.
              Yeah I got my plates a couple months ago.. (BRNC 70)

Everyone knows me as "Daddy4zack"..

A
              KK6DAD
              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

[QUOTE=TN1776;37328] Did they give any specific information about why the conversion bearings are no good, other than the fact that they are not as large? QUOTE]

The small bearing don't come in a tapered bearing that holds up to side loads better. I wonder if you can reuse a small bearing axle with a big bearing on it later. IE. Buy a housing later. I would check that out

Brian
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

BC sells the ends for the axle that convert it to BB. Have you thought of doing that?
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

i have the 31 spline Dutchman axles from WH, i have had them for quite a few years, never had a problem yet, very happy with them.
                    EFI 5.0, NP 435, 5.5 WH lift, Duff Arms, HP 44 front, 37" MTR's

Comment

Yes the small bearing dutchman axles can be used with a big bearing later on, i did the research when i bought mine, i still have the small bearing housing, they are still working great.
                      EFI 5.0, NP 435, 5.5 WH lift, Duff Arms, HP 44 front, 37" MTR's

Comment

Originally posted by Chips67 View Post
                        Yes the small bearing dutchman axles can be used with a big bearing later on, i did the research when i bought mine, i still have the small bearing housing, they are still working great.
                        Good to know buy and build

Brian
                        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
                          Good to know buy and build

Brian

Yes they can. It's not that the bearings are no good, it's the fact of the small bearing housing that's the issue. If you are doing light duty off road the small bearing should be ok, if you are doing medium to heavy duty, the large bearing housing's the way to go for strength.

Mark
                          73 Baja Stroppe
                          Sales/Customer Service
                          www.Wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Interesting.. So I can get the sm. bearing 31 spline now and find a Big Bearing housing and change the bearings later.. ..

Aaron
                            KK6DAD
                            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
                              Yeah I got my plates a couple months ago.. (BRNC 70)

Everyone knows me as "Daddy4zack"..

A

Actually I know you as Aaron

Mark
                              73 Baja Stroppe
                              Sales/Customer Service
                              www.Wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Working...
                              X