Who makes W/H Axles? NOW Big/Small Bearing Rear ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
    BC sells the ends for the axle that convert it to BB. Have you thought of doing that?
    I have thought of that but it is still the weaker center section.. Not the beefy f-150 type..

A
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Aaron, this thread may be damaging to my checking account. That is a good deal they have going at WH and I was already planning a trip up soon anyway. I may pick up a pair of axles at this price, put them on a shelf, and slowly gather parts...
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by TN1776 View Post
        Aaron, this thread may be damaging to my checking account. That is a good deal they have going at WH and I was already planning a trip up soon anyway. I may pick up a pair of axles at this price, put them on a shelf, and slowly gather parts...
        Thats what I was thinking..

A
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Does anyone know the Part# of the Conversion bearing? It seems It would be cheaper to get the Big Bearing axles for 199 pull off the Big Bearing Replace with conversion bearing and run them. Save the Big Bearings on a shelf until I get the Big housing.. Am I missing something???

A
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
            I have thought of that but it is still the weaker center section.. Not the beefy f-150 type..

A
            I have the stock BB axle with weaker center section and have been running it for a long time with no issuesn
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Yes Aaron that is correct, when you get a new BB housing or just decide to use BB ends to weld on, all you need to do is press new BB on the axles.
              EFI 5.0, NP 435, 5.5 WH lift, Duff Arms, HP 44 front, 37" MTR's

Comment

The inner diameter is the same in the axle for the big or small bearing, WH uses a conversion bearing to use these axles with small bearings, the outer diameter is just smaller on the small conversion bearing.
                EFI 5.0, NP 435, 5.5 WH lift, Duff Arms, HP 44 front, 37" MTR's

Comment

Does anyone know the Part# of the Conversion bearing? It seems It would be cheaper to get the Big Bearing axles for 199 pull off the Big Bearing Replace with conversion bearing and run them. Save the Big Bearings on a shelf until I get the Big housing.. Am I missing something???

A
                  you may destroy the bearing getting it off also think you could bend the axle pushing on it trying to press it off I could be wrong. I have not done a lot of pressing but that stuff is tight (press fit)

Brian
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I have done a ton of these. Only one really effecting way to get bearings safely off. Torch or use a cutting wheel to get teh outer race and ball bearings off. Using a press, get it all ready to press off with axle mounted. Use a rose bud torch and heat it up to a glowing red then press off. Way back early on inthe day, I used a 50 ton press and could not get the cold race off. It bent the axle first. Heat was applied and presto, off.
                    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                      I have done a ton of these. Only one really effecting way to get bearings safely off. Torch or use a cutting wheel to get teh outer race and ball bearings off. Using a press, get it all ready to press off with axle mounted. Use a rose bud torch and heat it up to a glowing red then press off. Way back early on inthe day, I used a 50 ton press and could not get the cold race off. It bent the axle first. Heat was applied and presto, off.
                      Ohh sh$t I didn't think it would be a big deal.. so either way I am looking at the same cost.. DAMN DAMN
                      I will have to think about this one.. I may as well just spend the $$ once and build a 35 spline axle..
                      I am going to have to build one either way.. hmm

Right now I have a Sm. bearing, 28 spline Yukon alloys. Detroit locker.. I have no plans for going larger than a 37" tire.. (right now 35") I just want to build once and have a piece of mind it is strong enough. Will 28 spl. alloys hold up? Rubicon/Fordyce?

Poll:
                      leave it the hell alone till I break it??

Aaron
                      KK6DAD
                      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Ohh sh$t I didn't think it would be a big deal.. so either way I am looking at the same cost.. DAMN DAMN
                        I will have to think about this one.. I may as well just spend the $$ once and build a 35 spline axle..

Right now I have a Sm. bearing, 28 spline Yukon alloys. Detroit locker.. I have no plans for going larger than a 37" tire.. (right now 35") I just want to build once and have a piece of mind it is strong enough. Will 28 spl. alloys hold up? Rubicon/Fordyce?

Poll:

Aaron

Just suck it up and go BB, you know you want to. If i see a BB housing I'll let you know
                        69 bronco 302 670 holley TA NV4500/Atlas 3.8 29 spl. in 32 out 4.5 bc lift 3" body D44 Locked - 9" Currie/strange with daytona PS and 1350 yoke. Warn full floater Locked 35" MTR's beadlocked 4 wheel disc most parts are still on shelf, But 1 day

Comment

Poll:

Aaron
                          I don't think you mentioned the setup before. I ran the trail with stock 28 spline axles and a spool more than once, no breaks but it made me a little nervous when the tires started to chirp. Keep things from spinning and I'd guess you would be fairly safe. Bigger is always going to be better, but good enough is good enough until you break it I guess.

Comment

Big Bearing housings are out there at a reasonable price. Try a wanted ad on pirate4x4, had three responses and bought a complete bb axle for $150..
                            1969 Roseville, Ca

Comment

Originally posted by huskyrider View Post
                              Big Bearing housings are out there at a reasonable price. Try a wanted ad on pirate4x4, had three responses and bought a complete bb axle for $150..
                              Thanks,, I just sold a BB rear housing and full spool... (year ago) I suck!! I didnt realize what i wanted to build.. but its not just the housing i need.. Brakes, housing, axles and carrier.. 35 spl.

Now it is just the carrier and axles... if i go 31 spl. for the small..

A
                              Last edited by Daddy4zack; 02-11-2008, 07:19 PM.
                              KK6DAD
                              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Thanks,, I just sold a BB rear housing and full spool... (year ago) I suck!! I didnt realize what i wanted to build.. but its not just the housing i need.. Brakes, housing, axles and carrier.. 35 spl.

Now it is just the carrier and axles... if i go 31 spl. for the small..

A
                                :Cough:

I know where that spool is(still sitting on my garage floor):laughing:

at least it's in the pumpkin with the gears now.

I should have a BB housing available in the next couple weeks weather and time permitting. It's still a banjo style, though. The non banjo that I have, barring it's not bent, is getting the spool and disks, I ordered on friday

I'll let you know when I get it out, if you're still interested.
                                71, 302, 435, 20, spool rear, ARB front, 35's,3.5sl 2"bl
                                nodular 3rd 1350 yoke disks allaround and on the road again

Comment

Working...
                                X