No announcement yet.

Who makes W/H Axles? NOW Big/Small Bearing Rear ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my 31's from Toms for under 300 for the set plus no sales tax. Toms small bearing 31 1541H use the same bearing as the 28 SB. The 28's are the same diameter at the bearing area as a 31, the only difference is they don't neck down. I thought it would have some conversion bearing also but a close inspection revealed the same Timken part # as the 28 SB stockers.
    71'Bronco 5.8efi, ZF5, Atlas 5:1, ARB 44,CTM,s & Warns, Stage 8, 9" 4.88 detroit, disc, 31 spline Dutchmans, 1350 yoke, Duff arms WH coils, Deaver rear "Full ground up in the works"

05 Dodge CTD 4x4 6spd
    "everyone elses tow rig for the time being"

Comment

You know I'm one of those drive it until it breaks kind of guys, and I broke quite a few stock 28 spline axles. I'm now running a small bearing with the 31spline axles, full spool, and don't worry about it at all. Personally I feel that if you aren't running around with a lot of weight, or towing a trailer, you shouldn't need to worry about the small bearings.
      Has anyone out there broke a 31 spline alloy axle?
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by wcoast4x View Post
        I got my 31's from Toms for under 300 for the set plus no sales tax. Toms small bearing 31 1541H use the same bearing as the 28 SB. The 28's are the same diameter at the bearing area as a 31, the only difference is they don't neck down. I thought it would have some conversion bearing also but a close inspection revealed the same Timken part # as the 28 SB stockers.
        Really?? good to know... Sooo why are they selling the small Bearing 31 spl. for a $$$100$$$ MORE?? HMMMM...

199 for the BB 31 spl
        299 for the SB 31 spl.

Mark@W/H can you answer this?

Thanks

Aaron
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

If they get their axles from Randy's like we do, its just a matter of Randy's pricing structure. I've always assumed the 31-spline blanks are cheaper because they're more common--a perfect example of economy of scale. BTW, that's a great price on those, jump on them while you can!

Dusty

Comment

Hey Aaron, you can pick up a complete BB rear out in the you-pull-yards for around $150. Or if you wait until they have one of their 50% off weekends, they are really cheap. Just an idea.

Comment

aaron, the boy has a big bearing in his rig right now that will be coming out soon, or when ever his broke ass gets the money together to finish his full width conversion.
              72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
              BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
              RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                aaron, the boy has a big bearing in his rig right now that will be coming out soon, or when ever his broke ass gets the money together to finish his full width conversion.
                Cool.. P.M me when you get it out..

A
                KK6DAD
                70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
                  Really?? good to know... Sooo why are they selling the small Bearing 31 spl. for a $$$100$$$ MORE?? HMMMM...

199 for the BB 31 spl
                  299 for the SB 31 spl.

Mark@W/H can you answer this?

Thanks

Aaron
                  I think Dusty summed it up, popularity. A 31 spline BB is a factory piece. A 31 spline SB is purely aftermarket except for the bearing. Oh I acually paid $169 a side they don't sell thoose in a kit form, so about $340 not to bad
                  Last edited by wcoast4x; 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM. Reason: change
                  71'Bronco 5.8efi, ZF5, Atlas 5:1, ARB 44,CTM,s & Warns, Stage 8, 9" 4.88 detroit, disc, 31 spline Dutchmans, 1350 yoke, Duff arms WH coils, Deaver rear "Full ground up in the works"

05 Dodge CTD 4x4 6spd
                  "everyone elses tow rig for the time being"

Comment

Working...
                  X