Rear Pinion Seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Pinion Seal?

How difficult is it to change out the rear pinion seal on my 01' F-250 4x4? mine is leaking after 150k....and the oil is not cheap....
    70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Pull the pinion nut off, replace the seal and re-torque to 100 foot pounds. That is what I have done for the 9, but the Sterling may be a higher torque. Not too sure if it has a crush sleeve either. Call Miles at Valley differentials in stockton and ask him what he would torque it too.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

It does have a crush sleve.
      What I do, is remove the wheels, and take a beam style torque wrench and measure the current rolling torque (how much force it takes to turn it. Then remove the yoke, pry out the seal, slap a new one, and then match that torque when installing a NEW pinion nut.

But with 150k, might want to look at a full bearing kit for the rear anyway.
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Thanks for the info...I just replaced all the bearing in the rear....they started smoking on the drivers side while pulling a bobcat to the job...Left the bobcat and trailer and slowly drove back to the shop and replaced all the bearings, seals, brake pads etc.... then a couple of weeks later the pinion seal starts leaking...go figure All in all though..I would not trade my truck for anything else...
        70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

Comment

Just to clearify...you are talking about the Torque required to turn the "old" nut, not the axles...correct? And why would you have to pull the wheels off?

Comment

He is talking about rolling torque which tells you the preload on the bearings. With the wheels on, it would be way off because of the rotational torque needed to turn the wheels and tires. You will need an inch pound wrench with a dial or a beam wrench like Marc mentioned. I have an inch pound wrench but would need to ship it to you to use. Vato zone may have one to loan, but a doubt it.
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Yup!
              Really you want to remove the axle shafts as well to get the right rolling torque measure ment, but with them in, its going to be fairly close on a job like this.
              Read up online on setting up a ring and pinion, and you can see what we mean by setting up the rolling torque.
              If not, I can help, I am about 1.5 hours from ya, but its only like a 1/2 hour job.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
              X