Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Registering a car that has been Non-op for 10 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering a car that has been Non-op for 10 years?

Trying to buy a car for a project, owner says it was non-opped 10 years ago. They have the pink, but nothing else. DMV online reg fee search shows no record of the vehicle. Anyone know what i would be getting in to with this? DMV is closed tomorrow but gotta act fast.

DMV will issue a new pink for it. You will likely need to do a light and brake test before you can register it though. I have an FJ-40 in the same boat.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

At least if it is out of the system you dont have to worry if they really did non-op it. Makes it pretty easy, get an inspection and then file the paperwork.

I remember buying a few vehicles that owed back reg, always fun when you get to pay someone else's fees

One thing I have liked up here in OR is that the Smog/DEQ is gov ran ($21) and it is $54 every 2 years for reg no matter the value of the vehicle and no back fees. SOOOOO much better than Cali on this.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Put on the Bill Of Sale if back fees owed they buy back on work something out.

Brian
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

same with mine.. all they did was an inspection and wrote down the vin. surrendered the plates and got new ones....
          if it was still in the system then you would have to pay all those back payments..
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Thanks guys, took the plunge on an old 260z and will see what happens. DMV online does not show the vehicle in the system, so who knows.

Kid is turning 16 next month and wanted something fun to drive. I asked him about a Bronco, and he said the only wheeling he would be doing would be with me, so why not get something different. I kind of like the sound of that.

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
              Thanks guys, took the plunge on an old 260z and will see what happens. DMV online does not show the vehicle in the system, so who knows.

Kid is turning 16 next month and wanted something fun to drive. I asked him about a Bronco, and he said the only wheeling he would be doing would be with me, so why not get something different. I kind of like the sound of that.
              they may also want a vin verification...if you need one, try the chp where its still free...most pd's (around here, anyway) want a fee for those.

Comment

Working...
              X