Kalifornia's lead bullet ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalifornia's lead bullet ban

This is a bit off topic but I know we've got some shooters on this site. I have been reading up on the new California Assembly bill AB 821 and between the state's vague definition and the hype/hysteria on shooting forums its hard to tell what this thing really means.

The text of the bill seems to indicate that lead bullets are banned for hunting purposes in areas defined as California Condor range. However it can also be interpreted as an outright ban on lead rounds all together.

With camping (and thus plinking) season upon us, I'm trying to sort through the BS to find the true intent of this law. Any opinions/analysis are appreciated.

-Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

I would hope there is a good alternative for lead slugs. I would be ok with using something else. I was against the steel shot fiasco years back and it all came out OK it seems. Lead is indeed a poisen, no getting around that. If it can be proventhat it is damaging to our wild life I am game for trying something else.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

If you are in Condor range you better not even get caught with any lead. No .22's or anything. So far the ban is just in the condor range. I think as of June 1.
      Vacaville, Ca
      67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

I was searching for info in the wrong places... Here's a very clear document about AB-821 if anybody is interested:
        http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunti...nformation.pdf

Looks like most of the range identified is not where I usually go camping anyway...
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

I am just glad this doesn't include upland game (Dove and Quail specifically.) I already had to go buy a new shot gun and learn to shoot all over again with steel shot when they banned lead for waterfowl. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before non lead shot is required for everything and all my older shotguns will be useless antiques. Not to mention the additional cost to buy steel or tung$ten shells.
          I haven't got into big game hunting, but this means I will have to go buy some non-lead bullets to keep the Coyotes off our pug.
          Last edited by highlander; 05-29-2008, 09:48 AM.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
            I am just glad this doesn't include upland game (Dove and Quail specifically.) I already had to go buy a new shot gun and learn to shoot all over again with steel shot when they banned lead for waterfowl. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before non lead shot is required for everything and all my older shotguns will be useless antiques. Not to mention the additional cost to buy steel or tung$ten shells.
            I haven't got into big game hunting, but this means I will have to go buy some non-lead bullets to keep the Coyotes off our pug.

Hey Steve,
            I'll give you some 7.62 x 39 rounds I've got at least 2000 rounds hanging out in an ammo box.

Mark

PS, nice talking with you today, let me know the out come.
            73 Baja Stroppe
            Sales/Customer Service
            www.Wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

This issue has concerned me for awhile now. None of it makes sense. First of all, in this defined CA Condor region, there is little/no data that supports Condors inhabit or even travel through any of these areas. In fact, I think there is only like 150 known CA Condors that live in the "wild."

In addition, how much impact can a lead rifle bullet really have? If a biologist was to "hang his/her hat on something," it would be on shot, not bullets. Condors are scavengers and can/could easily ingest pellets. I find it hard to believe they would eat bullets/slugs. If this were the case, they would have become extinct long ago because of (stupidity) eating rocks, bones, or anything else...

And, just to continue this uneducated unthought-out argument a little further... If the current argument F&G is making is valid, then shouldnt there be some impact to the fishing industry? Lord knows I loose far more sinkers in a day than I do rifle bullets.
              CURRENT: D44 and 9" with open 3.50's, Atlas II, NV4500, stock suspension, 2" body lift, 31" tires. 93 Mustang 5.0 bored over and ported/polished.

IN PROGESS: 3.5" suspension lift and CAGE arms.

NEEDS: ARB's front and rear, and GEARS!

Comment

Working...
              X